Favorite Forums

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
halil16
Name: Halil

Favorite Forums

Post by halil16 »

Let me first explain why this is necessary. If you have a board with many forums, the list in the index is very long or complex. A category area at the top of the index listing favorite forums will do the trick:

favorite-forums.png
(Even if the topic and the number of posts are not written, it is ok, or the last post)

But what if there are no favorite forums? This area should show up though. So users know they can favorite forums and list them here:

no-favorite-forums.png
no-favorite-forums.png (6.97 KiB) Viewed 1979 times

I wanted to open this topic to Extension Requests first. However, while I was preparing these images, I realized that there is already another type of in phpBB. Subscribed forums are listed on the subscriptions page that can be accessed from UCP. Subscribe to a forum if it's your favourite, are you?

Here, too, the notifications stuck in my mind. always get notifications from subscribed forums. But even if there is no notification from Favorite Forums.

Is there a way to list the subscribed forums in UCP on the homepage as I show in the picture? Or is Extension Requests the place for this topic?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Extension Requests
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
axe70
Name: Alessio

Re: Favorite Forums

Post by axe70 »

I have try to figure out your need here.
So i have imagined an extension that hook into
core.display_forums_before (and may some else)
then output into
overall_header_content_before
with some trick to fire it only when required.

What is not clear, is that if chosen favorite forums, that so will show on top, should also display into the generated phpBB forum's list.
Or you'll have duplicated (that can also be in this case, it is not a problem)

Plus it is necessary to create the related option into ucp, but it is boring more than hard!

I would find more interesting a last topics list, coming from chosen forums, that can be more immediate and useful?
Just a though
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

axe70 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:34 am
What is not clear, is that if chosen favorite forums, that so will show on top, should also display into the generated phpBB forum's list.
Actually the "favourite" forums should remain in the phpBB's generated forumlist.
However, creating a section listing the favourite forums (with a link to the actual forum) isn't a bad idea in itself.
But this is posted in Custom Coding which IMHO isn't a good idea - it would be better as an extension request.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

Isn't subscribed forums same as favorite forums?
I agree with warmweer.. It is not suited for custom coding.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:57 am
axe70 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:34 am
Actually the "favourite" forums should remain in the phpBB's generated forumlist.
However, creating a section listing the favourite forums (with a link to the actual forum) isn't a bad idea in itself.
But this is posted in Custom Coding which IMHO isn't a good idea - it would be better as an extension request.
Why? What's wrong with 3.3.x MODs? :P

In all seriousness, I agree. It would also put a wrench in any attempt to upgrade to phpBB4 which OP has been following very closely.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
halil16

Post by halil16 »

If no external extension is required, we can list the subscribed forums listed in the UCP as Favorite Forums. As I said, partly the same thing. I don't know much coding but it seems like it can't be done with simple php.

Of course, those listed in the Favorite Forums list should only be simple links. The main forum should stay where it is.

If so, please move it to the extension request.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

halil16 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:49 pm If no external extension is required, we can list the subscribed forums listed in the UCP as Favorite Forums.
Something which would be used on each visit should be accessible on the frontpage, immediately after login.
e.g. a button with dropdown containing 5 (max 10) favourite forums.
Surely you don't want to impose having to access UCP, then access the relevant tab, then the relevant section and only then see the section for the favourite forums.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

halil16

Post by halil16 »

What I meant was this: It will be listed on the homepage but will pull data from the UCP.
I'm learning English...
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

halil16 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:34 pm What I meant was this: It will be listed on the homepage but will pull data from the UCP.
Not wanting to be a pain in the *ss (I'll risk it anyway) but data is pulled/retrieved from the database.

Also since were talking about phpBB, I guess you meant the board index (homepage is in many cases not even the board)

halil16

Post by halil16 »

I don't normally use the word clipboard. I just say forum. Forum home page...

Understood. I don't know how to pull data from there as I don't have excessive code knowledge.
I'm learning English...
Jakezerni

Post by Jakezerni »

I think this is a brilliant idea, as most users usually only care and are active on just a few forums, such a feature would greatly streamline the user experience. It is unfortunate that this feature doesn't exist, with user having to navigate into the list of subscribed forum in UCP.

So is there any updates on this? coding solutions or extension?
halil16

Post by halil16 »

Jakezerni wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:50 am I think this is a brilliant idea, as most users usually only care and are active on just a few forums, such a feature would greatly streamline the user experience. It is unfortunate that this feature doesn't exist, with user having to navigate into the list of subscribed forum in UCP.

So is there any updates on this? coding solutions or extension?
No. I'm waiting.

I think Favorite Forums and subscribed forums at UCP are two completely different things. They should not interfere with each other and should remain separate.

An extension is needed for this. I don't know if anyone is working on it.
I'm learning English...
halil16

Post by halil16 »

But we can change the issue as follows: Show the forums followed on the main page, that is, in the forums list. This sort of fits the topic's favorite forums mention. In this part, it is enough to pull data from the list in UCP.
I'm learning English...

Return to “Extension Requests”