Numbering of posts in topics

https://www.phpbb.com/ideas/
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Numbering of posts in topics

Post by KevC »

In VB although it's #26 in that topic, the actual link if you hove over it is still a unique post ID just like we have. So it's #26 in name only in the topic you're in.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
david63

Post by david63 »

TaLLeR43 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am
david63 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:06 am You can say "see post #26" rather than quoting the post - especially if it is a long post and there are multiple parts of the post that you are referencing.
👍
There are several reasons why post numbering in phpBB is difficult.
  1. Where a post is made that requires approval do you number it when the post is made, in which case there will be a number missing from the sequence, or do you number it when the post is approved, in which case post numbering will be out of sequence.
  2. If a post is soft deleted then there will be a number missing from the sequence which may not be desirable behaviour for the board
  3. The order in which posts are displayed is a user specfic option so depending on which order the user has selected the numbering can be all over the place.
  4. Other issues occur when a post is moved from one topic to another
The extension that I mentioned in the first post I made in this topic is about the best option that there is.
Mick wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:37 am There’s probably hundreds, maybe thousands of #26’s,
Not in one topic there isn't
David
Remember: You only know what you know and - you don't know what you don't know!

I now no longer support any of my extensions but they will start to become available here
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

throughout the whole board
there can be though. But, I suppose if each number has a unique ID that settles that. To me copy and paste is just as good in that case.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

david63 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:55 amThere are several reasons why post numbering in phpBB is difficult.
Great that I'm not the only one seeing it this way. However, we had this "idea" and reasons against it 11 years ago already:
AmigoJack wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:03 amthe numbering doesn't make any sense, as posts of a topic can be ordered by post time, author or subject and then ascending or descending. Then people would start to refer to the numbers (instead of directly using the unique link provided by the Image icon on each post) without refering to their current sort order. Not to mention what happens if one post gets deleted or moved to another topic. Post numbering in a topic is always imprecise (whereas a link always gets you to the post, no matter where it has gone to).
And if topics are merged post numbers will mess up even more. Those boards/forums that offer this can only do so because they lack the versatility from here, not being able to custom sort it, or to moderate it through forking and merging.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

I fail to see why this is needed in the core. The Extension would probably suit your needs quite well.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.

An attempt at an alternative phpBB3 Refugees site: https://phpbbforever.com/index.php
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Having never tried Post Numbers before today (about 10 minutes ago) - I can now see the "value" but also the risks (mentioned by david63 and AmigoJack) and it confirms my initial apprehension when default features (as mentioned by both members named above) are used. These can be solved by disabling the extension and deleting data, and then re-enabling it (but that's only a temporary solution until the actions mentioned by both members are used again.
However: the extension has a feature: Can also display post IDs instead which avoids the "problem" somewhat.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

TaLLeR43 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:09 amIn all modern cms
Maybe so but phpBB is bulletin board software not a CMS.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mick wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:18 pm
TaLLeR43 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:09 amIn all modern cms
Maybe so but phpBB is bulletin board software not a CMS.
It can be a CMS with the pages extension installed. :P

In all seriousness, I don't see why the extension won't work in OP's case.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.

An attempt at an alternative phpBB3 Refugees site: https://phpbbforever.com/index.php

Return to “phpBB Ideas”