Osano Consent Tool - Use in phpBB?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
Talk19Zehn

Osano Consent Tool - Use in phpBB?

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, Osano Consent Tool - Use in phpBB? *

Is that tool used by phpBB? If "Yes" the Osano consent form is out of date, is that correct overall?

I have read here: About Cookie Consent (Open Source)
https://www.osano.com/cookieconsent/doc ... e-consent/

In the meantime, many things have changed and I am of the opinion that an adjustment / renewal should be applied in phpBB, as far as that tool concerns phpBB (GDPR / Jurisprudence and so on).

Regards

Edit:
*) If my research is wrong, I am sorry and apologise as a precaution.
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Osano Consent Tool - Use in phpBB?

Post by Mick »

Personally I’ve never heard of it and searching here doesn’t bring up any results so I’d guess the answer is no.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

What to do should the year be 2022 or higher:
  1. It's a web browser - hit CTRL+U to see the source.
  2. Obviously the cookie "consent" is JS, so we have to search for script and use our brain to rule out false positives.
  3. /assets/cookieconsent/cookieconsent.min.js looks promising - let's browse to it and read it.
  4. It also has text literals, such as https://www.cookiesandyou.com - and it has even more relative URIs like //api.ipinfodb.com/v3/ip-country/, which means phpBB is sending my IP address to 3rd party services.
  5. That website claims itself to be owned by Osano, Inc.
Conclusion: yes, there must be a connection - why would phpBB link to a that particular website?
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Hello, good comment. Well, if that is the case, I might have to propose a renewal in AREA51 to meet contemporary requirements?

https://www.osano.com/cookieconsent/doc ... cript-api/

Many greetings
Best regards
phpBB3 Designs - My own works: Stylearea Ongray-Designs, Adventinducement-Calendar for phpBB
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

I must admit that I'm not very courageous to raise the issue in AREA51, especially since phpBB-3.3.9-RC1 has already been made available and no adjustments (Osano Consent Tool = DSGVO /GDPR) are apparent on my part in terms of Osano, ---
if applicable and correctly identified.
Best regards
Paul
Infrastructure Team Leader
Infrastructure Team Leader
Name: Paul Sohier

Post by Paul »

Did you create a issue in the bug tracker? That way the developers actually know about it.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

Don't waste your time with the bug tracker, as tickets
  • will be closed as "won't fix" without further explanation,
  • will be closed as "fixed" without noticing further comments explaining there are still issues, or
  • won't be read at all.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

Yes, I know about the difficulties of when and if an issue will be managed. Let's hope for the best.

- BUG-Tracker: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-17057

Thanks and regards
Best regards
Talk19Zehn

Post by Talk19Zehn »

I have tried to create an answer, but unfortunately it does not seem to work correctly in the bug tracker from here. :shock:

It is inconceivable to me that a globally operating software apparently uses outdated tools that could (could) have legal consequences. In my opinion, there has unfortunately been no check at all.
https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/PHPBB3-17057

It is not about the removal, it is only about the adaptation to the DSGVO / GDPR of that tool.

The legal consequences in the EU, since IPs could be transferred, among other things, are also relevant. What is incomprehensible about this?

"The new versions allow the management of cookie settings on the part of users / visitors. In terms of GDPR, this is imperative."

The newer tool offers more than the former one, which uses phpBB.

My comment now appears twice... :?:
Best regards

Return to “phpBB Discussion”