Deleting extension's data

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
spello

Deleting extension's data

Post by spello »

On phpBB 3.1 I have only disabled an extension but now after upgrading to phpBB 3.3.8 I'd like to remove it's data. How can I do it? Should it be done manually somehow? Or should I upload old phpBB 3.1's ext files and enter delete data button? Could you help me what to do?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Deleting extension's data

Post by warmweer »

spello wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:16 pm On phpBB 3.1 I have only disabled an extension but now after upgrading to phpBB 3.3.8 I'd like to remove it's data. How can I do it? Should it be done manually somehow? Or should I upload old phpBB 3.1's ext files and enter delete data button? Could you help me what to do?
Not sure whether delete data will work if the extension is incompatible with phpBB 3.3.8. BUt if there's an updated version, you could upload that and then probably use delete data in the ACP)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
spello

Post by spello »

The main deal is that the newer version of this extension has lowercased name so there's a conflict and it displays twice on the list. So I thought it's possible to just remove an extension from the database somehow.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

spello wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:08 pm The main deal is that the newer version of this extension has lowercased name so there's a conflict and it displays twice on the list. So I thought it's possible to just remove an extension from the database somehow.
Then try reuploading the previous version of the extension. If it is recognised then delete data will probably work. If there's a yml-error , it may be possible to fix it using david63's YML checker extension and the use Delete Data.

The alternative is to restore the pre-upgraded board and then delete data and re-upgrade. Basically you should have checked the extension for compatibility before upgrading anyway.
as per
5. Deactivate any extensions which are not compatible with phpBB 3.3. Check with the extension author to find out if an extension is compatible or not.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

spello

Post by spello »

#5 - yes, and I did so (deactivated, not purged), but I didn't notice this extension wasn't lowercased before. And moreover, it doesn't use the same column as it did.
Now I'm thinking about simply removing sql column created by that extension. I can live without that extension actually.

My general question is, assume an extension doesn't have migrations file. And if so, is it okay to remove it's entry from phpbb_ext or is there something more to take care?
Thank u for understanding.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

spello wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:50 pm
Now I'm thinking about simply removing sql column created by that extension. I can live without that extension actually.
I take it you meant "row", not column (in the _ext table).
spello wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:50 pmMy general question is, assume that extension doesn't have migrations file. And if so, is it okay to remove it's entry from phpbb_ext or is there something more to take care?
Thank u for understanding.
If all the extension does is to add a row in the _ext table, then removing that row should fix it. If it adds a field in a table, then removing that field is also necessary. However, you'll still need to purge board cache (and browser cache) to make sure.

P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Have you also posted in the extension’s Discussion/Support section as the extension author can probably provide the best advise and recommendations?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
spello

Post by spello »

warmweer wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:06 amI take it you meant "row", not column (in the _ext table).
I mean I read migrations phps and there was some column previously that's now not used.
But if we're talking about phpbb_ext you're right a row should be removed.
Sadly, from what I see if I "remove" extension from database manually there are still places like phpbb_migrations table with entries that as I guess I should remove too.
I'm afraid I'll have to upgrade phpBB one more time and that doesn't make me happy, I have quite big board to deal.
P_I wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:13 am Have you also posted in the extension’s Discussion/Support section as the extension author can probably provide the best advise and recommendations?
Of course and I hope for answer, but I can't wait too long because it freezes my board.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”