Recompile Stale Style Components Efficiency and Run On Schedule?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Frank Rizzo

Recompile Stale Style Components Efficiency and Run On Schedule?

Post by Frank Rizzo »

I have had to change the way I load a dynamic file because of the deprecation of PHP / include.

Previously I would just include a .php file that is dynamically written and then displayed in a side panel. The forum would always display fresh info but now I have to use

<!-- include my_dynamic_side_panel.html -->

in the template folder and this is always cached and not updating on subsequent forum visits.

To get around this I can set:

Recompile stale style components: YES

This works! But I don't like the fact that the folder is going to be checked for changes on every forum 'visit'. To me this seems inefficient and I sort of run an efficiently tight ship here :lol:

So is there a way to leave that setting as NO but to then manually recompile stale style components on a schedule?

e.g. I have a non forum script that creates the file my_dynamic_side_panel.html. Once that process is complete can I then run something on the command line to refresh that style's components?

I think I can clear the whole cache from the command line but this may be a process that is run a dozen to hundreds of times a day and that seems risky. I would much rather just recompile the stale components as and when needed.
GTI
Name: Laura

Re: Recompile Stale Style Components Efficiency and Run On Schedule?

Post by GTI »

Can't you just pop into the ACP and push the 'purge the cache' button to do this?

I have the 'recompile' option turned off and pressing the 'purge cache' button seems to make html changes show.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
Frank Rizzo

Re: Recompile Stale Style Components Efficiency and Run On Schedule?

Post by Frank Rizzo »

This has to be done at least a dozen times a day, and 24/7 so any way of automating it would be preffered. Besides, I don't like purging *all* the cache unless necessary. Doing so also produces various errors for the first visit after purge such as

"Couldn't fetch DOMElement. Node no longer exists"

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”