Problems after moving to new host

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Genebaby
Name: Vic

Problems after moving to new host

Post by Genebaby »

What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.3.2
What is your board's URL? http://vvforums.com
Who do you host your board with? Hostgator
How did you install your board? I used the download package from phpBB.com
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Fresh Install
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? No
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What extensions do you have installed? Tapatalk
Sideways switcher
Xmas lights
What styles do you currently have installed? Lucid Lime
What language(s) is your board currently using? English
Which database type/version are you using? I Don't Know
What is your level of experience? New to PHP and phpBB
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? I have recently moved from Bluehost, back to Hostgator.
Please describe your problem. Some of the information above is not right, or a guess. I orginally setup my board a long time ago and moved to Bluehost and experienced trouble doing updates, weird file properties/permissions errors, as I usually use the automatic FPT based update that merges the files. I only have a style on my board but I have modified the colours, so I do that kind of update to keep the look of the board.

So I planned to do an update again when the board was moved and that didn't go well. Timeout error straight away, but I think the board was ok.

I then tried to disable Tapatalk as it wasn't working, so I thought I'd try and remove it and re-install. It said it was disabled, but then my board fully died, with the error:

This page isn???t working
vvforums.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

I started re-uploading from my Bluehost files and got it back.

Then, thinking it was maybe just Tapatalk I tied to enable the Xmas lights extension, just to test. Again, it looked good, but 500 error and I spent many hours uploading the old files to overwrite the problem.

Now I realise I have a more serious problem as I was looking into Extention issues and went to purge the cache. I now have the 500 error again and am uploading files again to try and fix the problem.

So the board works, when it's up, for posting etc, but anything I do in the ACP seems to bring it down.

Seeing as all I need to keep are some stylistic changes is it safe to try a full clean install of 3.3.8 and then just copy over my files to make the board look like before? Which files would these be? It has been a while.
Generated by SRT Generator
Forum error.jpg
Support Request Template
janus_zonstraal

Re: Problems after moving to new host

Post by janus_zonstraal »

Seeing as all I need to keep are some stylistic changes is it safe to try a full clean install of 3.3.8 and then just copy over my files to make the board look like before? Which files would these be? It has been a while.
You have to do it the other way.
Upload all the files from a fresh 3.3.8 package over your old board, except the config.php
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Genebaby

Post by Genebaby »

Thanks, I get that, but I don't want to lose my look.

I'm still currently restoring the board, the upload stopped while I was asleep, I was hoping it would be up this morning (my time), but it should be finished soon.

Is my database going to be happy as well going to 3.38 from 3.3.2? Doing the auto update mentions database updating as well as files.
janus_zonstraal

https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... ide/minor/
The full package method is recommended.
If you save your own style in the backup you can't lose it.
Genebaby

Post by Genebaby »

Ah, I've always been scared to do that full update as I considered my forum to be modified so I always used the automatic update via FTP.

When you say if I save my own style in the backup, that is true, I will have it, but the full update method misses out the Styles folder, which is where I think all of my colour and background changes would exist?

My board is alive again, I will enjoy some stability for a few days or so, let my users adjust to it being stable.

Going into APC I'm actually on 3.3.1, I was going from memory before as the board was fully dead.

I'm actually glad that when I got into ACP to re-enable it, the last thing I did on the old host was disable it, that it works! Everything else I seem to touch causes it to go into a tailspin.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Genebaby wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:39 pm I'm still currently restoring the board, the upload stopped while I was asleep, I was hoping it would be up this morning (my time), but it should be finished soon.
If by upload you mean the files: that shouldn't really take more than an hour with normal upload speeds.
Genebaby wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:39 pm Is my database going to be happy as well going to 3.38 from 3.3.2? Doing the auto update mentions database updating as well as files.
The auto Advanced Update is capable of transferring code modifications from your previous version to the new version. If you have no code modifications, there's no point in using the Advanced Update.There's also the risk that previous code modifications may not function in the new phpBB version. The fact that you seem surprised that the Advanced Update mentions that not only the files but also the database has to be updated is in fact an indication that you shouldn't use the Advanced Update package.
There is actually no time saved in uploading the Advanced Update package compared to the Full Package as you have to replace the complete /vendor anyway.

As to the extensions: did you disable them and check for updated versions?
Don't forget you also have to update your Lucid Lime style so your style modifications on Lucid Lime will have to be transferred by you (the Advanced Update package doesn't include changes in styles other than prosilver).
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
janus_zonstraal

When you say if I save my own style in the backup, that is true, I will have it, but the full update method misses out the Styles folder, which is where I think all of my colour and background changes would exist?
The style folder is in the full update package.
After the update you can upload your style again and everything is back.
Genebaby

Post by Genebaby »

warmweer wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:20 pm
Genebaby wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:39 pm I'm still currently restoring the board, the upload stopped while I was asleep, I was hoping it would be up this morning (my time), but it should be finished soon.
If by upload you mean the files: that shouldn't really take more than an hour with normal upload speeds.
Genebaby wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:39 pm Is my database going to be happy as well going to 3.38 from 3.3.2? Doing the auto update mentions database updating as well as files.
The auto Advanced Update is capable of transferring code modifications from your previous version to the new version. If you have no code modifications, there's no point in using the Advanced Update.There's also the risk that previous code modifications may not function in the new phpBB version. The fact that you seem surprised that the Advanced Update mentions that not only the files but also the database has to be updated is in fact an indication that you shouldn't use the Advanced Update package.
There is actually no time saved in uploading the Advanced Update package compared to the Full Package as you have to replace the complete /vendor anyway.

As to the extensions: did you disable them and check for updated versions?
Don't forget you also have to update your Lucid Lime style so your style modifications on Lucid Lime will have to be transferred by you (the Advanced Update package doesn't include changes in styles other than prosilver).
Thanks for the info. I'm on a decent connection here (40Mb upload) but re-uploading my entire site takes a while. The Files folder is fairly large and is the bulk of it I think. Not knowing what was screwed up when I clicked on things in the APC I wiped clean and re-uploaded my backup from the old host.

Yes, I am not super experienced, but have remembered some things I learnt three years ago, and more now, and I think it's being retained this time!

I didn't disable the extensions before I migrated across, but the issue with extensions I thought I was having seems to be a bigger issue as the same thing happened trying to purge the cache, so I am hoping when I get a stable 3.3.8 install running that I'll be able to disable them and fix them up.

I won't be using the Advanced Package anymore, it has been stressful in the past, so I am looking for a better process and I think I've found it. The trick is not being scared of the full update on my board, which has a few changes.
Genebaby

Post by Genebaby »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:22 pm
The style folder is in the full update package.
After the update you can upload your style again and everything is back.
The full package update says to not delete my Styles folder, and until now I was not thinking of uploading the new one but now I see I need to upload it and overwrite/merge the files as prompted.

Does Filezilla show a merge option? I don't think I've seen it.
janus_zonstraal

just overwrite the files.
Genebaby

Post by Genebaby »

janus_zonstraal wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:20 pm just overwrite the files.
Ok, thanks!
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Although it's not mentioned in the documentation (unless i overlooked it) disabling the extensions before updating (not delete data) is a safeguard against an extension causing errors if it is incompatible with the new version. If it turns out to be incompatible and it's not disabled, you'll get an error: if it's disabled, you could upload a new version and then re-enable it.

Also the changed files package is very useful if you have style edits: you only need to transfer edits to the files that were effectively changed. (which i why you should also keep notes of your edits)
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Genebaby

Post by Genebaby »

Should I use the Changes version then? Would that suit me better than full do you think?

The board is up so it's possible to see what it looks like now.

Thanks.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Genebaby wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:22 am Should I use the Changes version then? Would that suit me better than full do you think?
It doesn't make a difference but for the ease of transferring edits to the new version. If you use the Full Package you'll overwrite edits in all files.
Using the Changed files package you only need to transfer your edits to files that were uploaded (as a file NOT in the changed files package will not be overwritten).

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”