Goodbye

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
halil16
Name: Halil

Re: Goodbye

Post by halil16 »

Goodbye. Forgive me if I have hurt or upset you unknowingly. And wish us luck. ;)
* Hire me at fiverr for your phpBB board.
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
I'm learning English...
Contributions: #Hashtag, Elegance, Latte
noth

Post by noth »

ok its now been 3 days .... and nobody has a word of argument against anything david63 has said, not what I was expecting, in fact, he has enjoyed a hail of support and reverend good wishes and thanks. this topic is quite heartening :P so good to see, in the midst of constructive criticism his goodbye is sad to behold :oops:

the last ext of his that I used was his privacy policy
Adds options for the user to accept the use of cookies, under EU Cookie Directive (2012), and/or GDPR (2018) on the board.
this was a godsend when he released that so I was a happy man (and said so at the time)

Good luck david63, I appreciate that you are a lot older and your health issues so you are due a relax for sure, good luck 8-)
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

So that is: RMcGirr83, 3Di and now david63 who have stepped away, sad times,

I use many of David's extensions but he's also removed all the links to them so if I need to re download them I'm stuffed.

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge with us all over the past few years, I have personally learnt a lot from playing with your extensions and used what I have learnt to improve my forum.

Wishing you all the best for the future.
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

GTI wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:13 pmSo that is: RMcGirr83, 3Di and now david63 who have stepped away, sad times,
3Di was banned, but he still writes extensions and tries to contribute to phpBB on his site: https://phpbbstudio.com/index.php
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

Sad news but health must come first, take care David.
His message is alarming, the staff must pull themselves together, it is a necessity.
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

sorry to see you go but good luck with your future endeavors
paulie

Post by paulie »

I too would like to wish you all the very best and offer my thanks for your Extensions that I have on my Forum. I understand your frustrations too, when people stop listening then it's time to get out. Good luck!
Last edited by Kailey on Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed full quote
'Life in the Air Age isn't all the brochures say ...'
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

After mine appreciation to you has been removed, because too much hurting something else, i also wish you all the best an i hope i'll see you here to celebrate in Dec, like me in November, 20 years. My contributions aren't like yours, are 0 and also in time expended, and in term of number of answers which for my little, i also had a great benefit by.

Thank you my friend. Let say i will miss you so please, i can understand all yours thoughts, but take it easy and stay around please!
Cheers!
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
JimA
Former Team Member
Name: Jim Mossing Holsteyn

Post by JimA »

All the best David, and thanks for all the contributions you've made over the years.

I have fond memories of our time trying to beat each other to new support topics. :)
Jim Mossing Holsteyn - Former Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Board rules

If you're having any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to drop me a PM.
tvm

Post by tvm »

All your hard work will not be forgotten, and hopefully tweaked by others to be included in future phpBB updates! Thanks for all your hard work. I could see you were on the fence on both sides when I jumped into the debate about phpBB, and I sure hope im not the reason why you would consider leaving. I mean, im 38 and you asked me what i meant by legacy code (i helped on the mod team back in 2001), that means you're a better coder and better contributer than I ever was or has been. I dont want people to split more than they already have, I actually want phpBB to accept that two sides can work together, more like linux distros which I have mentioned before where the kernel is the one needs updating, but core and kernel here is nothing of the same. I think if phpBB Dev / Project team really talked it through, one could have different ways of pushing releases and allowing things, as long as its "hidden" in acp somehow, if that is their way of accepting that not everyone are experts but needs to be experts to enable expert behavour or something like that.. It feels a bit like Samsung and google saying its open source, but wont allow custom firmware unless bootloader is open your device has been rooted.

Ok, spinning out with my opinions now, i realize that. Not my intention, I do hope you decide to stay, even as a critic or helpful voice, as communities are far from dead.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

david63 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:48 am
  • A Team Member locking topics because they may become too controversial, or are too close to the truth.
Locking topics was very rare in the past, but in the last 1-2 years it happened far more often by exactly one team member. Questioning moderator actions was against the rules in the past, and there's no way to ever lift the locking of a topic - no matter how personal/opinion based the decision by the moderator was.

In other words: I can totally relate to putting an end to participating this board, and while we share some of the reasons you also listed many (especially somewhat internal ones) I yet haven't even experienced. The reasoning "we always did it this way" is mostly not a good one, but not always wrong either.

Have a nice retirement. :)
Last edited by AmigoJack on Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
axe70
Name: Alessio

Post by axe70 »

Locking topics was very rare in the past, but in the last 1-2 years it happened far more often by exactly one team member.
I also wrongly read and understand, so late in evening i am asking myself:
Who is this? :D
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse
TJK
Name: Tolaso J Kos

Post by TJK »

Sorry to hear that David. You will be greatly missed!!
Hire me for your update/upgrade forum inquiries or your forum tasks (installation , set up , etc)
Have I been of any help today? Buy me a beer.
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

AmigoJack wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:09 pm Questioning moderator actions is against the rules
Absolutely not!
AmigoJack wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:09 pm and there's no way to ever lift it - no matter how personal/opinion based the decision by the moderator was.
I welcome anyone who has an issue with a Community Team member's action to contact me through PM/email/Discord.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules

If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.
GTI
Name: Laura

Post by GTI »

In David's signature, there is a link to a website that is now hosting his extensions.

https://phpbbdev.space/

There is a note on the site that says
Please remember that David has spent a lot of time creating these extensions and whilst they are provided for free donations would be appreciated - especially from those who are intent on downloading all of the extensions.
I would like to make a donation as I use a few of David's extensions, but they were downloaded from here so I know they were his own work - can anyone confirm that donations made will actually go to David himself?
Most of us will enjoy Christmas in the comfort of our own homes this year, however, sadly, that can't be said for people in the Ukraine who are suffering day after day, due to the Russian invasion.

If you would like to make a small donation to help Ukrainians in their time of need, you can donate to help all Ukrainians via BritishRedCross or you can donate to help the Ukrainian children via Unicef. 🇺🇦 Thank You 🇺🇦

Return to “phpBB Discussion”