Do we have to update our website every time there is a new version?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
maplexxx

Do we have to update our website every time there is a new version?

Post by maplexxx »

I mean, I think everyone edited some part of the source code to let it meet our needs, now we have a new version, what is your choice, update it or not?
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Re: Do we have to update our website every time there is a new version?

Post by Crizzo »

maplexxx wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:56 am I think everyone edited some part of the source code to let it meet our needs,
No, therefore we have extensions :)

And yes, you should update when there are new versions with noteable bugfixes and more compatibility with newer PHP version and of course, when there are security fixes.

Regards
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

maplexxx wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:56 am I mean, I think everyone edited some part of the source code to let it meet our needs, now we have a new version, what is your choice, update it or not?
First of all, I would refrain from using the word "website" when you're referring to the board. Many users have a website and the board is only part of the website.

Whether to update or not is the board owner's decision. If there are no modifications, then updating is almost taken for granted, even with simple modifications.
With more invasive modifications you'll need some time to do the edits and test thoroughly. Postponing until your board shows errors is not a good idea as the downtime may be a lot longer than you initially expected. To avoid that (or at least try to) I immediately tested my modifications on the new version (on a copy)

In my case: I had a 3.0.14 board with a very intrusive (personal) modification and I skipped 3.1 completely while trying to modify my modification to work with the newer phpBB version (eventually I got a slimmed down version working on 3.2 thanks to some extensions).

Basically skipping versions isn't wrong as such, but you're increasing the risk of finding out (late) that your modifications, even extensions don't function as intended or even break your board.

And, as Crizzo pointed out, security fixes shouldn't be neglected AT ALL.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

No, you don't.

I'm sticking with 3.3.8 for now. I made some minor tweeks to the code but nothing major, and which can easily be made on the new version. Most of my changes were the dropping of custom php files into a subdirectory, though it's doubtful 3.3.9 would break those. Problem is that I installed phpBB in the root directory, and there's non-phpBB files there I don't want to delete. I have to carefully delete the old files, install new ones, then go into the install directory to update the database. Not something I'm in a hurry to do at the moment.

If this was an update to fix an urgent security vulnerability, then my response would of course be different, and I would ensure I updated within the day, regardless of what issues or inconveniences may come about.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

With me, just about every file has been edited with custom code, but I still prefer to update every time.

And yes, I know there are extensions but there is not an extension for everything. And it is also not at all certain if someone will record it when you submit a request.
maplexxx

Post by maplexxx »

Crizzo wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:30 am
maplexxx wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:56 am I think everyone edited some part of the source code to let it meet our needs,
No, therefore we have extensions :)

And yes, you should update when there are new versions with noteable bugfixes and more compatibility with newer PHP version and of course, when there are security fixes.

Regards
Dame it...I've already changed the source code!!! I don't know how to develop extensions!
maplexxx

Post by maplexxx »

bennybernaer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:52 pm With me, just about every file has been edited with custom code, but I still prefer to update every time.

And yes, I know there are extensions but there is not an extension for everything. And it is also not at all certain if someone will record it when you submit a request.
And after update, you edit with custom code again?
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

maplexxx wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:43 pm
bennybernaer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:52 pm With me, just about every file has been edited with custom code, but I still prefer to update every time.

And after update, you edit with custom code again?
That's normally what I do, though there is an update that may be able to keep some of your changes: https://www.phpbb.com/downloads/3.3/advanced_update

Of course, back everything up beforehand, and it probably requires you to get your hands dirty.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
bennybernaer

Post by bennybernaer »

No, that is not necessary at all. I have been using the advanced update package for years. Never had any problems.

But as already mentioned, always make a full backup first.

Once you've made that backup, you can mess around as much as you want.
HB

Post by HB »

I have a heavily modified board and the "advanced update" either works as-is or requires some minor manual merging of conflicts. The latest 3.3.9 update from 3.3.8 took me less than an hour, including updating the live site. :D

I use a really helpful tool "Beyond Compare" for double checking my work (i.e., comparing an updated version of my code against the current production code). There's other useful comparison tools out there, no doubt, but I like BC because it handles massive comparisons quickly and intuitively. If there's a major update, it can also do 3-way merges (parent source, the new version, and your current version). It helps you to see just your changes, e.g., phpBB 3.2, phpBB 3.3, and your code based on 3.2. It answer the question: What actually changed that needs to be merged from my 3.2 based code to the (new) 3.3 base?

To the OP's question: There's almost always security patches, so yes, it's prudent to update. It's pretty rare that a release doesn't have some security fixes, even if they're just in dependent code outside of the phpBB base.
Dan Kehn
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

I did the "advanced update" to phpBB 3.3.9 and that was the most intuitive phpBB update I had ever done. Took me less than five minutes.

Edit: Well, 3.3.9 breaks board3 portal. All well.
AmigoJack

Post by AmigoJack »

HB wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:08 pmI use a really helpful tool "Beyond Compare"
For those who don't want to pay for software or even also want its source can use https://winmerge.org for Windows.
  • "The problem is probably not my English but you do not want to understand correctly. ... We will not come anybody anyway, nevertheless, it's best to shit this." Affin, 2018-11-20
  • "But this shit is not here for you. You can follow with your. Maybe the question, instead, was for you, who know, so you shoved us how you are." axe70, 2020-10-10
  • "My reaction is not to everyone, especially to you." Raptiye, 2021-02-28
maplexxx

Post by maplexxx »

I learn a lot from this topic as a new bee, thank you, experts.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”