updating the database errors please help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
genshijin
Name: andy duggan

Re: updating the database errors please help

Post by genshijin »

When upgrading to 3.3.8 it failed due to this problem so I was told on this forum to reinstall 3.3.7 and wait for 3.3.9 realease.

If it required adding youtube fields again before attempting upgrade they should have said that on the 3.3.9 release post.

This is what it says on the 3.3.9 release post

In addition to this, we have also resolved an issue that was preventing users from updating after having removed the default YouTube profile field. Furthermore, some issues with malformed emails due to special characters in usernames as well as differing behavior related to line endings in newer PHP versions were fixed.
Well, it is not resolved unless you manually add the fields before attempting upgrade. Why not say that upfront to avoid people going through this error and reporting?
Last edited by genshijin on Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crizzo
Translations & International Support Teams Manager
Name: Christian

Post by Crizzo »

Myself did delete this YouTube field in a 3.3.7 installation and I can upgrade to 3.3.9 without issues.

So what is different at your place?
My extensions for phpBB: CDB
German phpBB Support at www.phpbb.de
genshijin

Post by genshijin »

The upgrade database error I got is posted above about the youtube field.

After manually adding the field and settings for it , it has updated corrected to 3.3.9.
Crizzo

Post by Crizzo »

You already made this SQL query, which gave an empty result, so the Result should return and skip this change.

So what php and MySQL version do you use?
genshijin

Post by genshijin »

General Error:SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]Unknown column 'pf_phpbb_youtube' in 'where clause' [1054]SQLUPDATE phpbb_profile_fields_data SET pf_phpbb_youtube = CONCAT('https://youtube.com/user/', pf_phpbb_youtube) WHERE pf_phpbb_youtube '' AND pf_phpbb_youtube NOT LIKE '%youtube.com/%' in file /****/****/public_html/phpbb/db/driver/driver.php on line 1023

MySQL(i) 5.7.23-23
PHP version: 7.4.33
Crizzo

Post by Crizzo »

And did you check this file viewtopic.php?p=15907301#p15907301 ?
genshijin

Post by genshijin »

As stated above I manually added the field and ran the upgrade again - sucessfully.

I said this also ... above, and why this was not mentioned on the release page - can see that above, rather than me typing it out again.
Crizzo

Post by Crizzo »

Why should this be mentioned? There was a fix implemented and tested. So considered as solved for now.

Further testing with people having problems, like you, would be needed, to try to improve the fix or check for issues on server/user side.

So therefor it would be helpful, if you could help.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

genshijin wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:27 pm As stated above I manually added the field and ran the upgrade again - sucessfully.

I said this also ... above, and why this was not mentioned on the release page - can see that above, rather than me typing it out again.
I agree that an extra note added to the release announcement wouldn't do any harm;
BUT ... when an issue is encountered, the logical first action to undertake is to use the search feature in order to find out whether this is a hitherto unknown issue ...and/or ... a solution is already available (in this case it was - the same one as for 3.3.8 as the cause and symptoms were similar).
You had encountered the problem during an update to 3.3.8 ... didn't you notice that you weren't alone, and that the practical solution was (very) simple?

Of course topic titles such as "database errors" aren't very useful when it comes to quick scanning a forum for related issues, but there are other ways of getting quick results.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”