ACP not working after upgrading to 3.3.8

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: ACP not working after upgrading to 3.3.8

Post by warmweer »

Marc wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 pm The issue actually seems to be caused by none of the tables having any indexes.
hmmm? so that's probably why my original phpbb structure tables did work.
Phew, I doubt I would probably ever have thought about the indexes :oops:

Would REPAIR tables be able to solve this completely?

Added:
hmm, I might as well try it :idea:

Added again:
Nope: repair didn't add indexes
But I checked my version of phpbb_acl_roles (which is an original phpbb 3.0.11 table to which I transfered the data from the non-working copy) and that has the indexes. (although I can't be sure of whether the index dat was created during the transfer of data or later when I repaired all tables).

So my analysis is that Marc hit it spot on!! :thumbsup
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Marc wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:20 pm The issue actually seems to be caused by none of the tables having any indexes. As a result, the ACL cache is incorrectly built which is what you then notice as not being able to login. The update obviously does not improve this state. Does your old database really not contain any indexes or did you maybe skip dumping those?
I used default export settings of phpMyAdmin. The only setting about indexes I see is above AUTO_INCREMENT value. Do you think I should check IF NOT EXISTS option? The only difference with that option is that index keys are defined at table creation other than ALTER TABLE method if this option is not enabled.
Screenshot 2022-12-08 063816.png
Marc
Development Team Leader
Development Team Leader
Name: Marc

Post by Marc »

Maybe this is actually related to the collation of these tables?
Screenshot from 2022-12-08 22-45-10.png
As you can see, all acl tables have latin1_swedish_ci instead of utf8_bin / utf8mb3_bin. Can you please check whether the tables themselves actually have an index? If they do, try changing the collation before exporting and see if that changes anything on the exported indexes for those tables.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

matjazv wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:39 amI used default export settings of phpMyAdmin
FWIW - I've used the phpMyAdmin settings from the backup section of Transferring Your Board to a New Host or Domain without an issue of any kind for years. Can you still get at the original database or get a copy from the old host?
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Marc wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:46 pm Maybe this is actually related to the collation of these tables?
Screenshot from 2022-12-08 22-45-10.png

As you can see, all acl tables have latin1_swedish_ci instead of utf8_bin / utf8mb3_bin. Can you please check whether the tables themselves actually have an index? If they do, try changing the collation before exporting and see if that changes anything on the exported indexes for those tables.
I made the database export with ACP/backup function - all tables now have utf8 charset. However situation is still the same - no ACP.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

matjazv wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:33 amI made the database export with ACP/backup function - all tables now have utf8 charset. However situation is still the same - no ACP.
Compare your tables with the tables from a new phpBB installation, and add the indexes. (all version 3.0.11)
Alternatively, use tables from a new parallel (3.0.11) installation from which you've deleted data and them import your backup after removing the delete and create table statements .

Do this on the limited data set you sent me. (shouldn't take all that long)

I'ld do it myself but currently don't have access to my PC. (Sunday evening at the earliest).
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: ACP not working after upgrading to 3.3.8 (solved I think)

Post by warmweer »

Refusing to accept a first defeat, I decided to remote access my PC.
I did what I suggested in my previous post:

Started with PHP 5.6 (to access the 3.0.)
Made a new board, saved the database with emptied tables.
Imported the original data into the new 3.0.11 database, data only, not structure as the new structure is the correct one (with indexes).

Then transfered the new database to another PWS with PHP 8.0.7. Upgraded to 3.3.8 ... and .... succes.

Credits go to Marc who identified the real issue.

BTW I forgot to mention it ... but I used the STK on the 3.0.11 in order to set auth to db, and also did all checks and let the STK do its "dirty" work.

matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Hi,

Yesss!! That worked out well. Now I have working 3.3.8 version with ACP as well. Thank you guys very much!

And then... I upgraded to 3.3.9... and bang - the problem is there again! No ACP after upgrading. I left on 3.3.8 for now, it is a long process to manually transfer all the data. Perhaps developer team should take a deeper inspection of the problem.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

matjazv wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:31 am
Yesss!! That worked out well. Now I have working 3.3.8 version with ACP as well. Thank you guys very much!

And then... I upgraded to 3.3.9... and bang - the problem is there again! No ACP after upgrading. I left on 3.3.8 for now, it is a long process to manually transfer all the data. Perhaps developer team should take a deeper inspection of the problem.
Did you use the STK on 3.0.11?
Do the 3.3.9 tables have the indices?

matjazv

Post by matjazv »

Yes, I did STK. I just made a db backup (db export in phpMyAdmin) and did the upgrade to 3.3.9 on db which worked with 3.3.8. That's all.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary full quotes.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

matjazv wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:16 am
warmweer wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:42 am
Did you use the STK on 3.0.11?
Do the 3.3.9 tables have the indices?
Yes, I did STK. I just made a db backup (db export in phpMyAdmin) and did the upgrade to 3.3.9 on db which worked with 3.3.8. That's all.
OK, but check the 3.3.9
Are the table indices still there?

matjazv

Post by matjazv »

warmweer wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:54 am OK, but check the 3.3.9
Are the table indices still there?
Yes they are... just to make it sure that we are on the same page... indexes are marked in image bellow as they are visible in phpMyAdmin...
Screenshot 2022-12-12 134311.png
in greater detail:
Screenshot 2022-12-12 134637.png
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

I haven't got clue as to what could be wrong on your side.
Just now I've redone the upgrade to 339 starting from the 338 I had and I still have ACP access (using a self created Founder account on 3011)

Then redid the whole thing starting from the ldap_3011 (the database you sent me), first setting auth to db, cleaning using the STK (I really reset everythng to default), then transferred the data to a new (clean) 3011 database (clean = with data removed - structure kept) and upgraded that directly to 339.

All tables have the indices.
My founder access is still there and I can create a working emergency founder account (not needed as I had one but did it just for sake of testing).
Tested extensions ABBCode+ and Autogroups + a different style Blackboard (338) and a Slovenian language pack (336), not up to date I know but it was just for testing purposes.
Then also used Alex Sheer's STK for 3.3 to see if it could find something out of the ordinary. No problems detected.

warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Any further news on this?
Specifically whether copying the 3.0.11 data into a 3.0.11 database with the indices and then upgrading solved the issue?

matjazv

Post by matjazv »

warmweer wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:46 am Any further news on this?
Specifically whether copying the 3.0.11 data into a 3.0.11 database with the indices and then upgrading solved the issue?
I left it on 3.3.8 now... after upgrading to 3.3.9 produced the same issue I just let it be for now. I will upgrade when major upgrade will be available.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”