I found when I search on the top right of this site, the result is enhanced by google

Looking for an Extension? Have an Extension request? Post your request here for help. (Note: This forum is community supported; while there is an Extensions Development Team, said team does not dedicate itself to handling requests in this forum)
Suggested Hosts
maplexxx

I found when I search on the top right of this site, the result is enhanced by google

Post by maplexxx »

But I don't find this function on my site which is version 3.3.9, how to open it?
Last edited by HiFiKabin on Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved to Extension Requests
maplexxx

Re: I found when I search on the top right of this site, the result is enhanced by google

Post by maplexxx »

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:17 am Look at my Google Search extension
This board is using your extension?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Re: I found when I search on the top right of this site, the result is enhanced by google

Post by HiFiKabin »

No, This board is using its own custom code for the Google Search
maplexxx

Post by maplexxx »

HiFiKabin wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:34 am No, This board is using its own custom code for the Google Search
Ok, but I think they are the same function. BTW, why phpbb does not put the google search function on its source code?
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

Yes, as long as you set up the Google Search as I have described in the instructions the outcome should be similar.

It is not in the core as not everyone wants Google Search on their own board. Such things are better served by an extension such as this.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

maplexxx wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:49 am ...
Ok, but I think they are the same function. BTW, why phpbb does not put the google search function on its source code?
Perhaps because there's no point in including something which is just about native in any browser. :idea:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
maplexxx

Post by maplexxx »

warmweer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm
Perhaps because there's no point in including something which is just about native in any browser. :idea:
But it maybe indicates that the origin phpbb search function is not that good?
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

maplexxx wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:15 pm But it maybe indicates that the origin phpbb search function is not that good?
The phpBB native search on your board ... searches within the board.
On this board search results need to be broader: e.g. extensions/styles hosted elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong with having 2 search options or limiting the search to the board contents only.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
maplexxx

Post by maplexxx »

warmweer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:29 pm
maplexxx wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:15 pm But it maybe indicates that the origin phpbb search function is not that good?
The phpBB native search on your board ... searches within the board.
On this board search results need to be broader: e.g. extensions/styles hosted elsewhere.

There's nothing wrong with having 2 search options or limiting the search to the board contents only.
I am wrong, I just try the native search, it's very ok, I think it's better than google search if you don't have a very big database, I don't need to try to use google search now.
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by HiFiKabin »

The native search searches the board, you can set up the Google search to search any sites you want to, eg you might want to search all of:-

Your Board
Your Blog
Your Shop
Your Wiki

and so on
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

maplexxx wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:15 pmBut it maybe indicates that the origin phpbb search function is not that good?
No, Google is more extensive, just like HiFiKabin stated. It should be noted that search.php can eat up the resources of a low spec server if lots of people use it to search. Google search offloads that burden to...well...Google.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:09 pm
It's not the same as the Google Search box can - and usually will be - limited to only searching results on the site itself, not all sites of the internet. It's a site only search but powered by Google.

If you use the browser search box then you will get results linking to different sites.

That being said, I agree that it would not be a good idea to include this in the core, as many people want nothing to do with Google, nor would use this functionality.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.

Return to “Extension Requests”