Scams From: [email protected]

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
GTI
Name: Laura

Scams From: [email protected]

Post by GTI »

I thought I would point this particular one out as on first glance it appears to be from an official Google account and the link in the email appears to be an official one too.

[email protected]

Subject:
Need action! Withdrawing Funds

Hi Information for you You have a new transfer of funds, you need to withdraw them All information in the attached link

The link:
https://script.google.com/macros/s/ I have removed the end of the link to avoid anyone opening it.

These have been arriving a couple of times each week since November 10.
The older folk out there will possibly see@google.com and assume it's something official.

Little sods.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Scams From: [email protected]

Post by Brf »

I don't know why google would be contacting us about fund transfers. That would be the bank doing the transfer.
GTI

Post by GTI »

Brf wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:11 pm I don't know why google would be contacting us about fund transfers. That would be the bank doing the transfer.
People that use GooglePay may think something is going on with their account and click it in a panic.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Not the same but I had one in the week about a broken phone on SMS, which is odd in itself as I never use SMS. It started "hi, mum" which made me chuckle.
'hi mum, I've dropped my phone and the screen's completely shattered, I've contacted my insurance and my new phone will take a week to arrive, this is my mates number so please leave me a text on my temporary number on whatsapp here 07936xxxxxx x"
I replied to the SMS text:
Aah shame, being as its nearly Christmas here's a new phone ☎️
:D

On another tack I'm not certain why people use Googlepay or Applepay etc. I'm much more confident with my debit card, using the previously mentioned just adds another possible scam to the link. Also, I'm not certain who decided contactless payments were the way to go, it seems an unnecessary risk to me, I always have my contactless limit set quite low, well below the banks limit.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
GTI

Post by GTI »

Mick wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:21 am Not the same but I had one in the week about a broken phone on SMS, which is odd in itself as I never use SMS. It started "hi, mum" which made me chuckle.
'hi mum, I've dropped my phone and the screen's completely shattered, I've contacted my insurance and my new phone will take a week to arrive, this is my mates number so please leave me a text on my temporary number on whatsapp here 07936xxxxxx x"
I replied to the SMS text:
Aah shame, being as its nearly Christmas here's a new phone ☎️
:D
Haha that's funny :D I think there's a WhatsApp one where the son/daughter needs money too

Mick wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:21 am On another tack I'm not certain why people use Googlepay or Applepay etc. I'm much more confident with my debit card, using the previously mentioned just adds another possible scam to the link. Also, I'm not certain who decided contactless payments were the way to go, it seems an unnecessary risk to me, I always have my contactless limit set quite low, well below the banks limit.
Totally agree on that, everyone used to be told - be careful, don't save your passwords etc, now each time you log into outlook you are asked if you want to "never enter your password again" :lol: a few years ago if someone stole my bank card they could only purchase £30 of items from a shop with it, now they can purchase £100 of items with it, £100 is quite an incentive for someone that travels round pubs pocketing wallets or to go and mug someone. It feels like in some ways security has gone backwards, though I get the contactless limits probably helped a lot of people during the early days of the pandemic

Return to “General Discussion”