Simply Merge Threads

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
52%
Very Good
20%
Good
11%
Fair
5%
Poor
12%

Total votes: 124

bateszi

Post by bateszi »

Hi. I've recently installed this modification and it works perfectly on my setup with phpBB 2.0.15, though I'm wondering if it's possible to change the order in which it displays the merged posts?
At the moment, posts in the merged threads are naturally displayed as oldest to newest; is there a way to reverse this and make it so that the merged threads display newest to oldest?
X33

Post by X33 »

Hello,

You've got one very irritated member right here.

First off, I installed this mod a while back, didn't work. I decided to check back on the readme file that came with the zip, and I noticed that I did have something missing. I put in the missing stuff, and the merge topics link appeared. Didn't work though. So, I look back into the readme file, and find that you should install the language stuff with it. So, I did.

Big. Frickin'. Mistake.

My board is completely dead. Doesn't bring up anything. Just a lovely white screen, full of nothing. Perhaps someone can tell me what in God's name is going on? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I got it set up, and it works, but either the interface isn't very user-friendly, or I am doing something wrong. Screenshots below.

http://images.nextphaze.net/mod_screenshot_1.jpg
http://images.nextphaze.net/mod_screenshot_2.jpg
http://images.nextphaze.net/mod_screenshot_3.jpg

How would I go about fixing this?
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

Aardvark wrote: I got it set up, and it works, but either the interface isn't very user-friendly, or I am doing something wrong. Screenshots below.

http://images.nextphaze.net/mod_screenshot_1.jpg
http://images.nextphaze.net/mod_screenshot_2.jpg
http://images.nextphaze.net/mod_screenshot_3.jpg

How would I go about fixing this?

seems like maybe you forgot to make the changes to the langauge files? if you run languages other than english, remember you need to make the changes to those other language files too.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

X33 wrote: Hello,

You've got one very irritated member right here.

First off, I installed this mod a while back, didn't work. I decided to check back on the readme file that came with the zip, and I noticed that I did have something missing. I put in the missing stuff, and the merge topics link appeared. Didn't work though. So, I look back into the readme file, and find that you should install the language stuff with it. So, I did.

Big. Frickin'. Mistake.

My board is completely dead. Doesn't bring up anything. Just a lovely white screen, full of nothing. Perhaps someone can tell me what in God's name is going on? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt you'll get much sympathy here for a post like that.

The problem is not hte mod...the problem is you.

First, are you saying you didn't back up your files? If so, who do you think is to blame for your dead board ;)

Second, you talk about your own repeated mistakes on not reading what is plainly stated in readme files...whose fault is that?

You need to go back to your backup files and then install more carefully...if you use easymod then you won't have these errors.

if you're saying you have no backup, then tell me if you had a heavily modded board. If not, then just go back to plain vanilla phpbb files and you're all set (you can overwrite all the old phpbb files with a plain vanilla set and just keep your old config.php files).

If you have a heavily modded board and you don't want to start with a clean one, then debug the white screen. Easy to do...just look in your php error log and it will tell you exactly where you screwed up.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

asinshesq wrote: seems like maybe you forgot to make the changes to the langauge files? if you run languages other than english, remember you need to make the changes to those other language files too.

Ah. Now I feel stupid. I made all of the changes, but I forgot to upload lang_extend_merge.php to my web server. All better now :lol:
X33

Post by X33 »

I wasn't aiming for sympathy. I was aiming for a reply, which I did get.

Anyway, I was able to back up the entire SQL database from my web host control panel, so nothing was lost.

I was bickered because this was the first mod I tried, and it didn't work well. Moreover, it kind of killed my board, so I wasn't very jolly to begin with.

I was just boggled that copying the language setting files would rip the board apart. Why would it do that, I wonder?

Anyway, all is in working order with a new slate, and nothing was lost. I'll try installing it again and give some better feedback than what was previously posted.

Thanks again for the reply.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

X33 wrote: I was just boggled that copying the language setting files would rip the board apart. Why would it do that, I wonder?

Did you rename the language setting files? This MOD uses a seperate file (lang_extend_merge.php) for language data; if you overwrite lang_main.php it'll really tweak out.

I'm not sure what happened, really; I'm just the new kid on the block, if you will. That's just my guess as to what might've gone wrong.
X33

Post by X33 »

I didn't overwrite the lang_main.php file. For this entire mod, I don't think I overwrited anything. I had to edit a few files, yes, but I didn't replace one file with another one. Still rather confused as to why it blanked out. Hm...

Oh well. I'll try it again sometime in the future.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

X33 wrote: I didn't overwrite the lang_main.php file. For this entire mod, I don't think I overwrited anything. I had to edit a few files, yes, but I didn't replace one file with another one. Still rather confused as to why it blanked out. Hm...

Oh well. I'll try it again sometime in the future.

What you describe would happen anytime you make a small error in a file like having mismatched brackets. The php error log would have told you exactly where the problem was. But you really didn't need to restore your db...all you needed to do was to go back to your original phpbb files rather than the edited ones.

Next time, try things out on a test board and then you can troubleshoot. And the php error log makes it very very easy to troubleshoot.
LindaCheung

Post by LindaCheung »

Sorry if I misread... 8O
Can this mod be install on 2.0.15? Thanks in advance.
JJX2

Post by JJX2 »

yes, it can
King Moonraiser

Post by King Moonraiser »

I have not yet installed this mod. I have some questions about the user interface and operation.

I noticed that the graphics under mod-topics_list/graph.gif/ are based on subSilver. However, the graphics are not under the templates folder. Am I to assume that you can only use one set of icons for all themes? Do the screens using those icons hardcoded to use subSilver for its layout?

What's the significance of those new icons? What do are they supposed to represent?

Who has access to the merge function? I assume Administrators and Moderators only.

Is there better documentation for this mod somewhere?
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

- yes they are stored into the template folder : check the copy part,
- folder with a dot : you've posted into the topic,
- auth to merge follows auth to moderate
King Moonraiser

Post by King Moonraiser »

Why is it important to show that "you've posted into the topic"? Just curious.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”