Cpanel inode

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
hamidouki

Cpanel inode

Post by hamidouki »

Hello
I saw that once the inode reaches more than 90%, then I have trouble opening my phpadmin from the cpanel as well as the backup and restore software integrated into Cpanel which displays error.
but once I empty the cache of my forum or my mail of the same domain name then the inode returns to 86%.

question :
what is the role of the inode from the cpanel
can we reduce it even more?
Screenshot_20230121_000158_Chrome.jpg
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Re: Cpanel inode

Post by ssl »

What Are Inodes?
Inode is short for index node, the filesystem metadata that stores information about each file and where it is. Every file and directory has an inode that contains ownership details, permissions, the file’s size, the filetype, and pointers to its data. The contents and structure differ by filesystem, but inodes play a similar role in all Unix filesystems.

Because every file has an inode, enforcing an inode quota is the same as enforcing a limit on the number of files. Inode quotas don’t control the amount of data a user can store in their home directory; they put an upper limit on the number of files, not the size.

In the past, inode quotas were essential because each filesystem had a fixed quantity determined when the disk volume was formatted. If users generated too many files, they could use all the inodes, making it impossible to create new files. This was a common occurrence on email servers with inboxes that contain many small files. However, beginning with CentOS 7’s release in 2014, the default filesystem is XFS, which allocates inodes dynamically—you can’t run out of inodes.

However, large numbers of files create other problems. They can degrade hard drive performance and increase memory consumption. Additionally, each inode consumes a small amount of disk space, by default 512 bytes on XFS. In rare circumstances, a user could generate so many files they fill the volume with inodes, leaving no space for data. This usually only happens when buggy scripts autogenerate billions of tiny or empty files, but it’s a risk that should be guarded against.

https://blog.cpanel.com/how-to-manage-i ... ode-usage/
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

wow, very well written explanation. I never worried about what inodes were as I have never had a problem with a host having settings that I exceeded.

however, I have seen posts here over the years that other users have had this problem and had no idea what they were or how to help the user.

good work,

robert
hamidouki

Post by hamidouki »

here is valuable information that I miss because I encountered this problem this month twice, and I had to contact my supplier for it.
thank you SSL

Return to “General Discussion”