phpBB.com Stack Exchange Profile Field

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
[Dimetrodon]

phpBB.com Stack Exchange Profile Field

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Around five days ago, someone requested a new profile field be added on this website: https://tracker.phpbb.com/browse/WEBSITE-1422

And it was closed due to this reason:
I don't see the added value of having this cpf. We don't provide support of at SO, it is not monitored by us, and we have no relationship with them. While most developers might know SO, users asking for support most likely don't.
I agree with AmigoJack. The vast majority of the custom profile fields on this very site would violate the given reason why his ticket was closed. You don't support YouTube channels nor generic private websites, but such fields exist here. Not to mention that a large chunk of the regulars here are developers and may find it useful.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Re: phpBB.com Stack Exchange Profile Field

Post by Mannix_ »

This would create a precedens and people would start asking for all kinds of PF to be added to vanilla installation.
You can't remove already existing ones because that would brake existing installations.
It looks like the decision for not adding new PF's to vanilla installation was made after those initial were added.
I agree with the phpBB team on this one.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mannix_ wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:56 pm This would create a precedens and people would start asking for all kinds of PF to be added to vanilla installation.
It's for adding a profile field to this site (phpBB.com), not creating more default profile fields in phpBB instillation packages.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:11 pm ...
It's for adding a profile field to this site (phpBB.com), not creating more default profile fields in phpBB instillation packages.
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't custom profile field the solution for extra (non-default) profile-related data. A stack exchange profile field doesn't exactly sound like something universally wanted, not even needed. Honestlly, a profile field "hobbies" would probably be used a lot more than a Stack Exchange PF.

Added: A Stack Exchange PF could be proposed as an Idea (if one really wanted to find out whether there's enough interest) but what would it need that a CPF can't achieve?
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

This topic is about a desired CPF for this website.
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

In this case it would be necessary to create a vote in order to identify the number of members who would be interested in this profile field, it would take the majority plus 1 for it to be probably under study here. :roll:
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:37 pm This topic is about a desired CPF for this website.
I gathered that much... but that then automatically raises the question why it's not included in the default phpBB package.
Those that really want it here, can include it in the signature.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

ssl wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:01 pm In this case it would be necessary to create a vote in order to identify the number of members who would be interested in this profile field, it would take the majority plus 1 for it to be probably under study here. :roll:
Sadly, I cannot create polls here. I do not have the required permissions to do so.
danieltj
Name: Daniel James

Post by danieltj »

I've always thought that the fields already in the profile section are over the top. Like, what even is ICQ???
Profile section in phpBB UCP
Profile section in phpBB UCP
Irrespective of whether the ticket was for this website or all phpBB installs, there's too many profile fields and if you want a link use the generic website field or just put it in your signature for people to look at.
Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

My point still stands if admins will add it on this website someone is gonna ask for another one.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

danieltj wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:55 am Like, what even is ICQ???
Idiot Contact Quarantine, or Irrelevant Contacts Queue, :mrgreen: (just joking - I never used ICQ but it's a widely used means of contact)
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

is it still used today? I have not seen a single instance of it mentioned anywhere in years.

robert
bikeridr

Post by bikeridr »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm is it still used today? I have not seen a single instance of it mentioned anywhere in years.

robert
I don't know anyone who uses it today. It was popular in the late '90-ies as a competator to windows messenger.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:28 pm is it still used today? I have not seen a single instance of it mentioned anywhere in years.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICQ

Yes, but it's not the most popular instant messaging client used.

Return to “General Discussion”