Import tables from 3.1.3 old forum to 3.3.9 new forum?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
nagamitsu

Import tables from 3.1.3 old forum to 3.3.9 new forum?

Post by nagamitsu »

What is a known/good method to import tables from a previous version (3.1.3) to 3.3.9? I've tried a few methods. So initially I tried the upgrade process/instructions and nothing would load (500 internal error). So installed 3.3.9 full/fresh separately and it works, however I want to now import users/posts/data from old forum. I'm running IIS 7, PHP5, PHP7, PHP8 all available (I can switch to one or the other as needed), MySQL 8.0

If I try to import previous SQL data dump for tables, as a .sql file, it errors/complains on first table, that it already exists. I'm using MySQL WorkBench 8.0. I tried PHPMyAdmin but it errors when submitting import (and I can't figure out why that is failing). I dropped all tables in new forum, then tried import, and it complained on first table that it didn't exist. So it fails if it exists, fails if it doesn't exist when importing.

Thank you in advance

Tim
Last edited by Mick on Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Import tables from 3.1.3 old forum to 3.3.9 new forum?

Post by warmweer »

Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.3

Reinstall your 3.1.3 using a suited PHP version, follow points 1 up to and including 6.
Switch PHP version (use 8.0 or 8.1) and then continue from point 7
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
nagamitsu

Post by nagamitsu »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:56 pm Upgrading from 3.1 to 3.3

Reinstall your 3.1.3 using a suited PHP version, follow points 1 up to and including 6.
Switch PHP version (use 8.0 or 8.1) and then continue from point 7
Thanks. However, the was operational on previously, followed the 3.1.3 version was (is currently) running on the PHP version it was functioning on from the beginning, I followed these steps and not a single page would load/work. I can try again for sure, as I can blow away the folder/file structure and restore back (in case anything from previous attempt is still in there). It failed/errored from the start/first attempt.

Tim
nagamitsu

Post by nagamitsu »

Ok, must have been something lingering, or additional instruction you provided helped. It's working now and updating the database!

Tim

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”