3.3.1 - Add "Reply" to Post Buttons ?

For support and discussion related to templates and themes in phpBB 3.3.
nickp306
Name: Nick

3.3.1 - Add "Reply" to Post Buttons ?

Post by nickp306 »

Is there a way to add a "Reply" icon to the post buttons...?

I'd like to add a Reply button in each post much like edit/delete/quote/etc...so members won't need to scroll to the bottom of the page to "Post Reply"

Is this possible...?

Thanks in advance...Nick
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: 3.3.1 - Add "Reply" to Post Buttons ?

Post by Brf »

Hmmm. Usually, if I feel the need to reply to a topic, based a post in the middle, I would be quoting something in that post.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Agreed with Brf, but I had a quick look and ...

Adding the button shouldn't be all that difficult for someone used to coding (I think) . In fact I think it's a relatively simple modification but would be better of as an extension request.

Add a post button after the quote button (in viewtopic_body.html, starts around line 234) (that's the very simple part)

e.g. <!-- IF postrow.U_REPLY --> after the section <!-- IF postrow.U_QUOTE -->

Then in posting.php (again, I think) you'll have to add the mode (REPLY - slightly more complicated) and that's it (I think, but it wouldn't be the first time I overlooked something).
OR ... perhaps even the U_QUOTE could be cloned, to U_REPLY and the quoted part not added.

Added: On the other hand ... just use the quote button and remove the quote: I don't think there's enough added value to add the "feature".
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:16 pm Then in posting.php
You don't need anything new to posting.php. All you are doing is repeating the link in the Reply button that is already at the top and bottom of the page.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brf wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:25 pm You don't need anything new to posting.php. All you are doing is repeating the link in the Reply button that is already at the top and bottom of the page.
But that shows the last post of the topic (posting.php?mode=reply&t=2635611), not the post one would report/edit/quote/"reply to" (which I tried with p=15923871#p15923871 >>> apparently reply mode only accepts the topic parameter, not a post parameter, nor the combination.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

nickp306

Post by nickp306 »

Thanks, guys...I will look in viewtopic_body.html

.,..will report back...
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

warmweer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:01 pm But that shows the last post of the topic (posting.php?mode=reply&t=2635611), not the post one would report/edit/quote/"reply to" (which I tried with p=15923871#p15923871 >>> apparently reply mode only accepts the topic parameter, not a post parameter, nor the combination.
Yes. You are replying to a topic, not to a post. I am not sure what your question is here.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Brf wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:41 pm ...
Yes. You are replying to a topic, not to a post. I am not sure what your question is here.
No question, more of a sudden insight I had.
The OP wanted a reply button in each post, which made me suspect he would like to see the reply area and the post he's replying to, so I assumed that the code called when replying could accept not only topic_id as parameter, but could also use post_id. Wrong assumption, confirmed by some custom coding I experimented with. Adding a reply button in each post's button area is doable but has no added value as such to me.

Mannix_
Name: Matt

Post by Mannix_ »

in viewtopic_body.html
find
<!-- EVENT viewtopic_body_post_buttons_before -->
and below add

Code: Select all

<li>
						<a href="{U_POST_REPLY_TOPIC}" title="<!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->{L_TOPIC_LOCKED}<!-- ELSE -->{L_POST_REPLY}<!-- ENDIF -->" class="button button-icon-only">
							<!-- IF S_IS_LOCKED -->
								<span class="sr-only">{L_BUTTON_TOPIC_LOCKED}</span> <i class="icon fa-lock fa-fw" aria-hidden="true"></i>
							<!-- ELSE -->
								<span class="sr-only">{L_BUTTON_POST_REPLY}</span> <i class="icon fa-reply fa-fw" aria-hidden="true"></i>
							<!-- ENDIF -->
						</a>
					</li>
Did I helped You? Consider a donation.
New version of phpBB has been released? My styles aren't validated for it yet? Check my page for the latest downloads!
nickp306

Post by nickp306 »

warmweer wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:28 pm
Brf wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:41 pm ...
No question, more of a sudden insight I had.
The OP wanted a reply button in each post, which made me suspect he would like to see the reply area and the post he's replying to, so I assumed that the code called when replying could accept not only topic_id as parameter, but could also use post_id. Wrong assumption, confirmed by some custom coding I experimented with. Adding a reply button in each post's button area is doable but has no added value as such to me.
Thanks for looking into this...

The intent is to duplicate the bottom-of-page "Post Reply" in any of the posts. This would allow members to click on the post's "reply" button and be brought to the Quick Reply or "full Editor" box...

Needing to save all the scrolling to get to the bottom of the page, especially with phones...

Thanks again...Nick
nickp306

Post by nickp306 »

Thank you, Mannix ...! I will give this a try...

Return to “[3.3.x] Styles Support & Discussion”