Is real quantum computing nearly here?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
[Dimetrodon]

Re: Is real quantum computing nearly here?

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

Mick wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:45 pm He was wrong and I’ll bet he wished he’d bit his tongue as he said it. Unfortunately for him the ¾ of a million PC’s (or clones) sold in 1983 weren’t DEC.
Sure, though niche, computers did go from bring the bulky terminals from the Apollo missions to being small enough that some more tech savvy people who could afford it had it in their homes in the 80s. While there are a small amount of PC-sized quantum computers, they are pitiful and only useful as an educational tool for quantum computer programming: https://www.notebookcheck.net/SpinQ-pre ... 200.0.html

A far cry from what happened with conventional computers, that went from Apollo mission bulk to things like the Commodore64 & PET
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

I was working at the university in 1984/5 and 2 PCs were dropped at my office with a note: Can these machines be used for something? ;-)
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

warmweer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:32 pm I was working at the university in 1984/5 and 2 PCs were dropped at my office with a note: Can these machines be used for something? ;-)
While I am not going to pretend that I know how to use computers from that era, I am aware they they were often used to help with school work, used in laboratories and factories, and can even help someone manage their finances.

Not the most intuitive but still more useful than desktop sized quantum computers today.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

[Dimetrodon] wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:15 pm While I am not going to pretend that I know how to use computers from that era, I am aware they they were often used to help with school work, used in laboratories and factories, and can even help someone manage their finances.
To be honest, I can't really remember whether anything productive was achieved with the 286's , perhaps being able to save documents and print (which took longer than fotocopying written papers)
My first personal PC was a 486 mostly used for text processing (WordStar ?), simple spreadsheeting (Lotus 123 ?) and my first step into databaseing (Paradox?) and of course gaming. It only became really interesting as of Win 95.

I wonder how long it will take for quantum computers to invade the household. It's hard to imagine life without computers these days.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

IMHO IBM chose the wrong processor/architecture in the first place. They should have stuck with Motorola and gone for the 6809 instead of Intels 8088 but I don’t think Motorola could produce enough to satisfy IBMs needs. Even at that time it was an 8-bit processor with some 16-bit capability. The Dragon used the 6809 and it was a beautiful little machine, we used to hook up fixed disk hardware to its parallel port, it was almost futuristic. You HAD to learn assembler with a Dragon ;)
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

warmweer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:23 pm It's hard to imagine life without computers these days.
boy, talk about sci-fi. how do you people come up with these far out unbelievable ideas sometimes?

no computers, wow the world could not exist without computers. how would they run the matrix?
silly ideas.....

robert
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

warmweer wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:23 pm It's hard to imagine life without computers these days.
Just imagine, you would have to leave your house and actually talk to other people.

Nah, it will never catch on :lol:
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

HiFiKabin wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:53 pm
Just imagine, you would have to leave your house and actually talk to other people.

Nah, it will never catch on :lol:
Honestly, I think the biggest issue isn't the existence of computers but the way the internet turned out.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

There are desktop sized quantum computers that have been released, as well as a quantum computing card that may be able to fit into a graphics card slot: https://newatlas.com/quantum-computing/ ... mperature/

Return to “General Discussion”