Discuss: phpBB 3.2.9 Release

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Scam Warning
mamba

Re: Discuss: phpBB 3.2.9 Release

Post by mamba »

BlackPandaBear wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:50 pm Thank you for this update, it worked like a charm on my forum.
Me too, very impressive, love the emoticons :D
Using latest version of PHPBB
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

Thanks for this update.
Marc wrote:The timetable for maintenance and security fixes is as follows:

End of Maintenance (EOM): April 6th, 2020
End of Life (EOL): July 6th, 2020
It is very short time for extensions developers to do changes in extensions code to achieve compatibility with 3.3. Many good and popular extensions not work properly with 3.3 yet. In my opinion it will makes situation the boards owners will stay with 3.2 for long time until extensions wich they use will be compatibility with 3.3. This is not good for security of their boards. So, I think 3 monts is too less for EOM.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Don’t forget the phpBB maintenance cycle is often driven by the vendors and their versioning, as has been seen with PHP lately. You can’t very well ignore changes made by the supplier of your scripting language and a lot of those changes are customer driven.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
HiFiKabin
Community Team Member
Community Team Member
Name: James

Post by HiFiKabin »

tojag wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 am<snip>
It is very short time for extensions developers to do changes in extensions code to achieve compatibility with 3.3. <snip>
The vast majority of extensions will work with 3.3.x without any changes (or just the minimal changes that this extension will highlight and help you fix)

I am sure that most extension developers are well aware of the timescale and even if new versions have not been officially released yet they will be available elsewhere (GitHub or the authors own site for example)
Tastenplayer
Name: Jutta Koliofotis

Post by Tastenplayer »

tojag wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:33 am It is very short time for extensions developers to do changes in extensions code to achieve compatibility with 3.3. Many good and popular extensions not work properly with 3.3 yet.
As HiFiKabin already wrote: Most extensions work in 3.3.0. If you search with Google, you often find a version of an extension adapted to 3.3.0 (Adapted by the author or someone else).
Most of the ones that do not work can be adjusted by yourself. Often only small (simple) changes/adjustments are necessary.
More of my styles you can find in my phpBB Style Board & More
Be the best version of yourself rather than a bad copy of someone else!
Excuse me for my English, but I learned the language by speaking to people and not at school.
🎨 All my styles are updated to 3.3.8 and can be downloaded here
tojag
Name: Gregory

Post by tojag »

Mick wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:56 am Don’t forget the phpBB maintenance cycle is often driven by the vendors and their versioning, as has been seen with PHP lately. You can’t very well ignore changes made by the supplier of your scripting language and a lot of those changes are customer driven.
eg. PHP 7.2 Security Support Until 30 Nov 2020.
I think I can handle the upgrade to version 3.3 before April, but many, many pages will remain with version 3.2 and its security will be poor. I think that the extension of security support at least until the end of such support for PHP7.2 should be kept. But this is only my observation for the good of all. I don't want to fight this case with anyone here :)
Stef67

Post by Stef67 »

Good morning,

End of life having passed for a while now, wouldn't it be reasonable to end phpBB 3.2? Especially since PHP is already evolving towards 8.2 which is not compatible.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

It’s in the pipeline.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “phpBB Discussion”