Need some clarity about user/groups/permission

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
drobble

Need some clarity about user/groups/permission

Post by drobble »

Hello,

I'm hoping this is the correct forum to post my inquiry.
For some days now I'm wrapping my head around the setup user/group setup on a new BB.
I'm dealing with 50 - 100 users (closed community) about 5 ( - 10) groups and possibly up to 10 forums.

Here is a layout what I think the setup could be with a given pattern:
Screenshot 2023-03-07 18-56-06.png
The trick is that a user can be a member of several groups with different privileges to different forums.
I have setup user permissions before (dotproject) but the structure of permissions and objects was different that in phpBB.
Any suggestions/opinion is much appreciated.
TIA
Attachments
phpBB Users&pemissions.ods
(19.4 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
If you wanna go fishing ... come to Ontario Canada.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Need some clarity about user/groups/permission

Post by KevC »

I would set it all through group forum permissions.
That way you choose a group, choose the forum and choose the permission you want.
All of the other groups can be set to No access.

Then
As long as you only use YES and NO permissions and NOT a NEVER permission you'll be ok because if they're in, say, 2 groups and one has a YES to see and post and the other has a NO permission then the net result will be that they can access it. If they're only in groups with a NO access then they won't.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
drobble

Post by drobble »

It sounds easy.

How I see it now after your reply is:
a) a group hold a permission (standard) to a forum or not, and
b) a user is member of a specific group - or not.

That would leave out a higher specific permission for a specific user to a selected forum.
Would it work if that higher permission e.g. forum moderator, would be granted to 'this' user as a single permission to that forum?

*** I see the daylight dawning *** :D

I appreciate your help.
Thanks, Man.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Permissions can be user based or group based. I tend to favour the groups because it's far easier to control. If they're in the group, that's what they can do. If you want to stop it, take them out of the group. It also makes it easy to track down what someone can do because you can see it from the groups they're in. And it's important to note that everyone is the registered users group as a base or permissions.

Having moderator or admin permissions is totally separate to whether they can see or post in a forum.
If you want someone to be a mod for a specific forum you can assign that separately in permissions > forum moderators.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
drobble

Post by drobble »

KevC wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:15 am I would set it all through group forum permissions.
That way you choose a group, choose the forum and choose the permission you want.
All of the other groups can be set to No access.

Then
As long as you only use YES and NO permissions and NOT a NEVER permission you'll be ok because if they're in, say, 2 groups and one has a YES to see and post and the other has a NO permission then the net result will be that they can access it. If they're only in groups with a NO access then they won't.
I worked a little bit on the assignment of groups and privileges and came up with the following layout.
Groups& Forums:
phpBB Groups&Forums 2023-03-08T12-11-18.png
and for the Users & Groups:
phpBB Users&Groups 2023-03-08T12-12-11.png
I will attach a spreadsheet (ods) to this posting which includes two tables in two separate sheets.

Please feel free to commend.

Hopefully this posting will help others on this topic.

Thanks, folks
Attachments
phpBB Users&pemissions.ods
layout in two separate sheets
(20.55 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Your spreadsheet is almost useless to other users as it's not clear what you really want to achieve. As long as you're using the default permission sets (Standard Features, Limited Features, etc...) it can be copied and understood but once you use customised permission sets a spreadsheet like that is only useful to the person using those customised permissions sets.

For new phpBB users (and also for those who upgraded from 2.0.x) I really recommend having a thorough read of the User Guide, specifically the parts pertaining to permissions:
Setting permissions
and also the sections in
The Administration Control Panel
specifically the items in Users Management, Group Management and Permissions.

One of the most helpful features is the permission mask, which will allow you to see how the end resulting permissions is reached at.

It may look daunting but set up a test board and then experiment with some groups and some permission customising and use the permission mask when something doesn't turn out as you wanted/expected.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
drobble

Post by drobble »

warmweer wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:23 pm Your spreadsheet is almost useless to other users as it's not clear what you really want to achieve. As long as you're using the default permission sets (Standard Features, Limited Features, etc...) it can be copied and understood but once you use customised permission sets a spreadsheet like that is only useful to the person using those customised permissions sets.

For new phpBB users (and also for those who upgraded from 2.0.x) I really recommend having a thorough read of the User Guide, specifically the parts pertaining to permissions:
Setting permissions
and also the sections in
The Administration Control Panel
specifically the items in Users Management, Group Management and Permissions.

One of the most helpful features is the permission mask, which will allow you to see how the end resulting permissions is reached at.

It may look daunting but set up a test board and then experiment with some groups and some permission customizing and use the permission mask when something doesn't turn out as you wanted/expected.
Thank you for your encouraging feedback.
That's what I'm in the process of doing, setting up a test board to figure out all the intricacies.
I might post back my findings.
Thanks

Return to “phpBB Discussion”