How does phpbb handle updates?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Ideas Centre
miroslavglavic
Name: Miroslav Glavić

How does phpbb handle updates?

Post by miroslavglavic »

So I am used to WordPress world.

Core = the basic thing
What WordPress calls themes, phpbb calls styles
What WordPress calls plugins, phpbb calls extensions.

Back in the day you used to have to edit files in phpbb I think.

For WordPress core updates there is twitter and everyone in that universe will tweet about the upcoming update, and on update day, WordPress's twitter account will and everyone out there will too.

So...how does the next phpbb update get announced, either than a post on phpbb.com, so currently it is 3.3.10. So next one would be 3.3.11 or 3.4, right? From my understanding on versions (not just WordPress or phpBB) that the more to the right the number change is, the smaller the change/update is so 3.3.10.0.0.0.1 would be a lot smaller than let's say 3.3.4 or 3.3.11.

Now...what about styles?

I went to the manage extensions tab and I have (name of extension) (current version) (options) (actions)

the current versions are all in green numbers. Green usually means good, right?

In WordPress you can turn off automatic updates. Are phpbb updates (for core, styles and extensions) automatic or manual? if automatic, how can I turn it off and do it manually?
New Signature coming soon
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: How does phpbb handle updates?

Post by warmweer »

not hard to find : SUPPORT tab (above)
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... radeguide/
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
miroslavglavic
Name: Miroslav Glavić

Post by miroslavglavic »

warmweer wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:39 pm not hard to find : SUPPORT tab (above)
https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... radeguide/
That is not exactly what I was looking for. That link tells me HOW to upgrade. I was looking at how phpbb tells me there is an upgrade for core/styles/extensions. Both in the same area but not the same.
New Signature coming soon
Prosk8er
Name: Tyler

Post by Prosk8er »

it will tell you in the acp when a new phpbb version is available
and for extensions click customize tab in acp then click re-check all versions note this only works for phpbb validated extensions and extensions in which the author setup version check
as for styles you would have to check that yourself
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You can subscribe to announcements and adjust your notifications to suit. You can get an email when a fresh announcement is made. Once you see the email you can then check the style you’re using (style and phpBB versions must match) and any extensions to see if they’re compatible with the new version of phpBB.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

also, updates are not automatic yet. actually they will probably never be truly automatic as that would not work very well for people that have custom installs.

I believe the a "one click" update like wordpress is set to be in the upgrade to phpBB4 but that may or may not happen by then.
you will still have to click the button to update/upgrade, it will not be automatic.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
[Dimetrodon]

Post by [Dimetrodon] »

As someone who has a custom phpBB install, I always liked the "Automatic Update" option. I don't see why a built in automatic update cannot have something similar as an option.
Avatar by someone named AdmiralRA on Reddit. (No, I don't have a Reddit account)
When seeking support, please consider filling out the Support Request Template. It makes it easier for anyone trying to help.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

when I see "automatic update" I am reminded of the auto updates that some hosts do when you install programs using their one click installs.

the user does not get any warning of an impending update nor do they get a chance to decline it. one day all of a sudden all of their changes are gone because the auto update completely over wrote the files with new ones.

not a good idea.

what phpBB used to call "automatic update" was not automatic actually. YOu had to decide if and when you were going to update, you had to decide exactly what update method you wanted to use etc. etc.
what it did was compare files and update/overwrite only files that changed with an update/upgrade.
I never liked that because it took more time than just replacing all old files with new ones and then updating the database. If you don't do it that way you wind up with a lot of different file dates on the server which makes things confusing sometimes.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

miroslavglavic wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:24 pm ...
That is not exactly what I was looking for. That link tells me HOW to upgrade. I was looking at how phpbb tells me there is an upgrade for core/styles/extensions. Both in the same area but not the same.
I find it quite surprising (seeing you registration date) that you've never noticed the update announcement on this board, nor the notice in the ACP, nor the colour of an extension version (in the ACP): green = up to date, red = version is not the latest)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
GanstaZ

Post by GanstaZ »

phpBB version update info is available on twitter as well. Everything else have been answered by others above.
Usus est magister optimus! phpBB pre-Triton & latest php environment.
When answer lies in the question, question becomes redundant!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”