End user requesting help

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Stumped2

End user requesting help

Post by Stumped2 »

Im new here , so apologies in advance if this is the incorrect forum.

Im an end user on a site which recently experienced a server failure. Since that about 10 days ago, im not getting email notifications from subscribed topics. Acting on a Moderator tip from the site, I added a new email as directed. Account was re-activated ( I did not get a re-activation email either).

Im still not getting email notifications. Also, now since outage, when I make a post on the site, instead of the browser page going back to the topic posted in, I get this:
Blank browser page after posting
Blank browser page after posting

Then, refreshing the page does nothing - page stays blank. I then have to back tab to get back to the thread or other point.

So, as an end user, is there anything I can do to correct these issues?

The blank page issue happens on Safari - Mac and PC - Firefox. I do not know what version the of the phpBB they are running. Ive cleared my site cookies, browser histories and cache. Don't know what else I can do, but would like the blank page thing to stop and to get email notifications too.

Ive also unchecked and re-checked the email notifications settings on the Board UCP.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Ive notified the person who runs the board and a Moderator with no success in getting things to work as they did before the outage. The site is: stamp-forums.com
Last edited by Mick on Mon May 15, 2023 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: End user requesting help

Post by warmweer »

You need to set cookie_secure to true
see Fixing incorrect cookie settings

According to your prosilver style, your board version = 3.3.1
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

and no, as an end user, there is nothing you can do about these problems.

the person who owns the board would have access to the files and the server etc. the best you can do is inform the admin of the board about the issues and send them here for help.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Stumped2

Post by Stumped2 »

Ahhh, too bad. Ive notified them and no response. Guessing they are too busy or who knows what!?!

Thanks for confirming. Its ashame. Especially when it was working so well. I use another board too, same phpbb software ( dont know their version either ), where email notifications have also stopped - very frustrating. They have numerous chats about it, but same thing - no email notification working. I know its not my email address as for the 2 boards, its different addresses. Maybe my ISP is blocking them now?
Stumped2

Post by Stumped2 »

warmweer wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 4:22 pm You need to set cookie_secure to true
see Fixing incorrect cookie settings

According to your prosilver style, your board version = 3.3.1
Curious - what you mention for setting of cookies, would that help to get rid of the blank screen after posting or not getting email notifications of subscribed topics being replied to? Tks
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Stumped2 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 4:16 pm Curious - what you mention for setting of cookies, would that help to get rid of the blank screen after posting or not getting email notifications of subscribed topics being replied to? Tks
I didn't realise you weren't the admin/founder of the board.
Yes, incorrect cookie settings can cause malfunctions (but that may not be the only problem).

The board owner (with access to the files/database) is the one who should request support and use the Support Request Template Generator to provide information.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Stumped2

Post by Stumped2 »

Yes. Thank you - my hands are tied here - just an end user. Tks

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”