Timeout: old server details [solved]

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
limey

Timeout: old server details [solved]

Post by limey »

I keep getting the 'timeout when trying to update the forum. The error log suggests that I am getting old server ftp details that are generated/found via

/phpBB3/phpbb/install/helper/file_updater/ftp_file_updater.php

Where is this file getting the ftp credentials? What should I do to make it refer to the current server for the installation?

Thanks

Mark
Last edited by Mick on Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Solved.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Timeout: old server details

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

it sounds like you are using the wrong update method.

usually you should use the full file replacement method which does not require or use your ftp settings.

you do , however, have to use your ftp program to delete and upload files etc.

explain exactly what method of updating you are trying and how exactly you are doing it.

thanks,
robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

limey wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:32 pm I keep getting the 'timeout when trying to update the forum. The error log suggests that I am getting old server ftp details that are generated/found via

/phpBB3/phpbb/install/helper/file_updater/ftp_file_updater.php

Where is this file getting the ftp credentials? What should I do to make it refer to the current server for the installation?
Which method of updating are you using? And how did you update previously?
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
limey

Post by limey »

To be honest I can't recall all the ways I've tried updating in the past. I'd say I've tried them all. This time was via Softaculous.

Whatever method I have had gave the time out response in recent times so I decided to try and find out why. I increased the timeout on the server - no luck. I don't have access to CLI

The error message I received showed:

Code: Select all

[16-Mar-2022 14:14:46 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method ftp::transfer() in var/phpBB3/includes/functions_transfer.php:284
Stack trace:
#0 var/phpBB3/phpbb/install/helper/file_updater/ftp_file_updater.php(72): ftp->__construct('ftp.***.org...', '@', '†', 'phpBB3/', 21, 10)
#1 var/phpBB3/phpbb/install/module/update_filesystem/task/update_files.php(271): phpbb\install\helper\file_updater\ftp_file_updater->init('ftp', 'ftp.***.org...', '@', '†', 'phpBB3/', 21, 10)
#2 var/phpBB3/phpbb/install/module/update_filesystem/task/update_files.php(129): phpbb\install\module\update_filesystem\task\update_files->get_file_updater()
#3 var/phpBB3/phpbb/install/module_base.php(149): phpbb\install\module\update_filesystem\task\update_files->run()
#4 var/phpBB3/phpbb/install/installer.php(21 in var/phpBB3/includes/functions_transfer.php on line 284
[16-Mar-2022 14:15:55 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined method ftp::transfer() in var/phpBB3/includes/functions_transfer.php:284
Stack trace:
... where "'@', '†'," are the user name and password of a previous server that I moved from some years previously. I have searched the database and the installation and cannot find these strings!

I am assuming that the timeout is because of trying the old server so I am trying to find out where it is getting these ftp credentials.

Thanks warmweer and Lumpy Burgertushie
ssl
Name: Fred Rimbert

Post by ssl »

limey wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm This time was via Softaculous.
So, go to the ./store folder if there are files install_config.php, * .lock ou migration * in the folder delete them
After this use the full package method
Sorry for my English ... I do my best!

phpBB: 3.3.11 | PHP: 8.2.16
[Kill spam on phpBB] - [Some French translation of extensions]
"Mistress, Mistress someone is bothering me in pm"
limey

Post by limey »

Many thanks ssl - back in business with a shiny new 3.3.6.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

limey wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm To be honest I can't recall all the ways I've tried updating in the past. I'd say I've tried them all. This time was via Softaculous.
It's what I expected/feared and I suspect (as ssl does) that Softaculous uses an automatic update.
Rather than trying to find out where Softakillous messed up, use the fix as mentioned by ssl (and described in the update instructions): removing the files mentioned from /store and using the Full package method (should you have some custom edits, you'll have to reapply those).

Added:
Ow, fixed already while I was typing :thumbsup:
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
limey

Post by limey »

Appreciated anyway warmweer
sulehree
Name: Abbas

Post by sulehree »

ssl wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:18 pm
limey wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:47 pm This time was via Softaculous.
So, go to the ./store folder if there are files install_config.php, * .lock ou migration * in the folder delete them
After this use the full package method

Thanks very much , by following your instructions.. it finished my 2 days struggle for updating the database.
thank you.

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”