Need complate guidance

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
tempmailbook
Name: Rahat Sultana

Need complate guidance

Post by tempmailbook »

hi friends i need guidance after installation phpbb. actually last year i installed simple machine forum and after that my domain got attacked again and again at least 4 times i reinstall it and each time that happened.

my main concern is to learn how to save phpbb forum for long time. kindly guide me what are the most important things after installation we need to do for security purpose and stop spam? please guide me thanks.
Last edited by Mick on Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Re: Need complate guidance

Post by KevC »

What exactly do you mean by 'attacked'? Spam posts and a security breach are not the same thing.

Spam is very easy to stop.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
tempmailbook

Post by tempmailbook »

actually the exact wording did not remember but like spam users even enable login attempt limit. and also i got email from hosting side that my forum registration page is giving too much server requests so once they give me warning and 2nd time i got the same reason and then hosting provider told me i should resolve this issue so i remove the forum .. and after that i try again but failed. i was not understanding what exactly happening.

so this time i want to know what should i do in start because i don't want to lose my hard work and my data after few days or month. please guide me what are the basic things to do to stop spamming? is there any plugin or module which i need to install or configure then i should work on forum
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

As Kev said spam posts and security breaches are not the same thing, spam is a pain but represents no security threat and dealing with spam has tried and tested methods within phpBB.

If you’re experiencing DDoS type attacks you need to speak to your host in the first place as that’s a server issue and should really be dealt with by them.

For spam you should read and comprehend Preventing spam in phpBB then implement Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA.. An additional method for spam control is activating the ’Newly registered user group’ (as we use here) by setting the post threshold to more than zero, two is a good start, that way you can monitor the first two posts of any new members and take appropriate action before they can post freely.

You could always make a fresh installation and disable the board in the ACP while you make your changes which will allow you access but keep everyone else out. If, once you re-enable the board, you find you’re getting a lot of spam type registration attempts please come back with a link to your board so we can give you further advice.

Note: The captcha you’re using at the moment will NOT stop spam, it was defeated many years ago, the squiggly letter type captchas will be removed from the download package sometime in the future. Stick with the Q&A captcha as above.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel©
🇬🇧
tempmailbook

Post by tempmailbook »

thank you so much for the detail guide lines i just sit on the driving seat and customizing my forum. kindly guide me how to stop the new users for register because i want to customize first then want to allow for signups.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

tempmailbook wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:25 pm ... kindly guide me how to stop the new users for register because i want to customize first then want to allow for signups.
ACP > GENERAL > BOard Configuration > Board Settings

Disable board:
This will make the board unavailable to users who are neither administrators nor moderators. You can also enter a short (255 character) message to display if you wish.
Yes No

When the board is disabled, the registration box won't be available.
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
tempmailbook

Post by tempmailbook »

thank you so much its very easy to do.
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

tempmailbook wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:25 pmkindly guide me how to stop the new users for register because i want to customize first then want to allow for signups
Mick wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:57 amYou could always make a fresh installation and disable the board in the ACP while you make your changes which will allow you access but keep everyone else out.
Don’t forget to change the captcha before you re-enable the board.
Mick wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:57 amThe captcha you’re using at the moment will NOT stop spam, it was defeated many years ago, the squiggly letter type captchas will be removed from the download package sometime in the future. Stick with the Q&A captcha as above.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel©
🇬🇧

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”