Where can I host phpBB for free?

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Anti-Spam Guide
Darth Apple

Re: Where can I host phpBB for free?

Post by Darth Apple »

Random American wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:16 pm
Darth Apple wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:25 am
Mick wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:24 am New to the phpBB Community
I have three posts. I'm a long-term member for sure. :D :P
Lurking still counts!
Haha I suppose. I feel welcomed already. :P
wmorg

Post by wmorg »

Random American wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:40 am I just used infinityfree to set up a test board and it seems to be working fine.

Did you install phpBB OK on InfinityFree?

I have a problem during the installation, regarding max_user_connections, because the installation process seems that open quite a few connections with the database without closing previous ones, and this exceeds the limit that InfinityFree sets for free accounts.

I have read more people who have had the problem and InfinityFree says that is what it is, that you take a more powerful affiliation plan.
wmorg

Post by wmorg »

wmorg wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:59 pm problem during the installation, regarding max_user_connections, because the installation process seems that open quite a few connections with the database without closing previous ones, and this exceeds the limit that InfinityFree sets for free accounts.

Possible solution if you have the resources: install on a server that does not have that limitation and then move the phpBB system created copying the files and recreating the database on the InfinityFree server, with a SQL script taken from the database created on the enabling server.

Tested and works.
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Re: Where can I host phpBB for free?

Post by warmweer »

wmorg wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 11:59 pm
Random American wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:40 am I just used infinityfree to set up a test board and it seems to be working fine.

Did you install phpBB OK on InfinityFree?

I have a problem during the installation, regarding max_user_connections, because the installation process seems that open quite a few connections with the database without closing previous ones, and this exceeds the limit that InfinityFree sets for free accounts.

I have read more people who have had the problem and InfinityFree says that is what it is, that you take a more powerful affiliation plan.
Most of those free hosts have unreasonable limitations (which will immediately become apparent when you start FTP-ing) The last couple of weeks I've experimented with 6 freehosts (actually 4 of those were the same company just operating under a different name "selling" the same b*llshit and pushing you to switch to paid hosting) . In fact Googiehost sent me mail every day, the last one congratulating me for switching to a paid hosting package (which I hadn't done of course). I'm mailed back thanking them for the free upgrade they were giving me, free since I didn't sign up for any paid hosting. Still waiting for an answer 8-)
The trick (in your case) is to create the board on personal webserver first (you can also add languages, styles and extensions), then take a database backup: data only, no table definitions.
Then upload all the files to the online host and start the installation. When it times out, the config.php will have been written (save that just in case).

Then import your database backup (from your personal webserver) in the (online) host database (using phpMyAdmin) (the table definitions will be there but no data so that's why you should use a data only backup)
Start up your board and edit cookie and SSL settings as needed ... and you're set to go. ( ... for the time being ... )
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.

Return to “phpBB Discussion”