From 3.3 to 3.3.11

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Ken22

From 3.3 to 3.3.11

Post by Ken22 »

Hi everyone.
I have been running 3.3.5 for a couple of years for my Club.
It does not seem to be performing very well now and I am starting to get issues.
I am now thinking of upgrading to 3.3.11 and I need advice.
Mainly because the php files seem to be corrupt I am having considerable login problems.
My questions is this.
1) Should I try upgrading the old version in the hope it will put everythig right.
2) Or should Delete the old version and install a brand new latest version.
3) If I do install the latesr version how do I DELETE the old one and can I be sure I have DELETED all the old corrupt files?
I would very much appreciate some knowledgeable advice on this.
Ken
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: From 3.3 to 3.3.11

Post by P_I »

If you are updating to 3.3.11 then you should read through Minor Updates Within 3.3.x for instructions.

If you have made no modifications to core files, then the recommended approach is Full Package.
Ken22 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:47 pm Mainly because the php files seem to be corrupt I am having considerable login problems.
That seems odd, so perhaps consider filling out the Support Request Template and post it back here to enable us to assist you better to see if your existing problems can be addressed and resolved.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Mike-on-Tour
Name: Michael

Post by Mike-on-Tour »

I would delete all directories/files from your root directory (this is the one where your config.php is located) EXCEPT THOSE:
  • .htaccess (if you have additional lines e.g. for re-routing)
  • config.php
  • favicon.ico (if you use one and it is located in the root)
  • any custom files (PHP scripts with additional functionality)
  • ext directory if you have any extensions
  • files directory (it holds your attachemants)
  • images directory (it holds the avatars)
  • store directory (it holds additional data like database backups)
  • any custom directories
For identifiying custom files and directories compare your servers directory structure with that of a locally unzipped full package of 3.3.11

Then just follow this guide and you should be safe.
Watz fo lunch?
If you like my extensions or my support please consider a donation: Image
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Mike-on-Tour wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:22 pm Then just follow this guide and you should be safe.
Which is what I posted before your post and is really all the OP needs to follow.

The phpBB User Guides/Knowledge Base articles/Documentation covers these cases and the extra steps you provide distract from the consistent information source they provide.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Mike-on-Tour
Name: Michael

Post by Mike-on-Tour »

You are right, but you posted while I still wrote mine and thought just before hitting the Submit button of the guide.
Nevertheless it should work.
Watz fo lunch?
If you like my extensions or my support please consider a donation: Image
testingmro

Post by testingmro »

I just updated forum few days ago from 3.3.3 to 3.3.11 (i need to switch to PHP 8.X from 7.2 on my hosting)

I did update my forum few times, i recommend to :
- make DB copy from hosting or/and forum panel
- create new DB and restore your backup there
- make full copy of your root forum directory(new) and adjust confg to newly created DB
- and than update one of this installation

In this approach you have your old installation intact, and you can always just turn it on and redirect to it, if things go south..
In few words , just make a copy of your whole forum, and upgrade it....
You just have to remember to change few things like secretcookie, keep both forums offline until you finish etc.
When everything will be ok on new version just delete it , or also upgrade it and use as test.forum

(for upgrade im always deactivating all extensions, set lang to english, them to prosilver like for 3.2 to 3.3 update ;-), better save than sorry ;-) )
Kailey
Community Team Leader
Community Team Leader
Name: Kailey Snay

Post by Kailey »

I'm not sure why others are posting conflicting instructions. The only official upgrade instructions are the ones P_I linked to in his reply. All other instructions are not official. If that's how you update your board, that is your prerogative, but not how we would expect someone to complete this procedure. You do this at your own risk.

Please stick to official guides and KBs for future support replies.
Kailey Snay - Community Team Leader
Knowledge Base | Documentation | Community rules
If you have any questions about the rules/customs of this website, feel free to send me a PM.

My little corner of the world | Administrator @ phpBB Modders

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”