I cannot install the forum

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.3.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
johndoe22

I cannot install the forum

Post by johndoe22 »

Hi, I have a wordpress site and on my server I created a folder called forum and uploaded everything from phpBB unzipped. When I go to mysite.com/forum/config.php it says page does not exist. Is it a problem because I have Wordpress? I already gave permissions 777 and 666 but the problem persists.
Last edited by Mick on Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Solved.
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: I cannot install the forum

Post by P_I »

Welcome to the phpBB community.

Try following the guide in https://www.phpbb.com/support/docs/en/3 ... tallation/ or the simplified https://www.phpbb.com/support/documents ... ickinstall
Quick install wrote:
  1. Decompress the phpBB archive to a local directory on your system.
  2. Upload all the files contained in this archive (retaining the directory structure) to a web accessible directory on your server or hosting account.
  3. Change the permissions on config.php to be writable by all (666 or -rw-rw-rw- within your FTP Client)
  4. Change the permissions on the following directories to be writable by all (777 or -rwxrwxrwx within your FTP Client):
    store/, cache/, files/ and images/avatars/upload/.
  5. Point your web browser to the location where you uploaded the phpBB files with the addition of install/app.php or simply install/, e.g. http://www.example.com/phpBB3/install/app.php, http://www.example.com/forum/install/.
  6. Click the INSTALL tab, follow the steps and fill out all the requested information.
  7. Change the permissions on config.php to be writable only by yourself (644 or -rw-r--r-- within your FTP Client)
  8. phpBB should now be available, please MAKE SURE you read at least Section 6 below for important, security related post-installation instructions, and also take note of Section 7 regarding anti-spam measures.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

When I go to mysite.com/forum/config.php it says page does not exist.
config.php isn't accessible from outside (luckily ;)
You have to go to /install
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

have you tried yoursite.com/forum/phpBB3/ ?

from what you posted I wonder if you uploaded the complete phpBB3 folder to your forum folder instead of uploading all of the contents of
phpBB3 to your forum folder.

robert
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
johndoe22

Post by johndoe22 »

I followed the steps mentioned above. Here is a screenshot of what I uploaded.

In publichtml my WordPress site is installed and working correctly.

Can I share my site with a URL shortener?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

johndoe22 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:56 pm Can I share my site with a URL shortener?
Yes.
It'll make it easier to find out what's going on.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"
johndoe22

Post by johndoe22 »

Here you can see my site:

https://bit.ly/3TeRC1N
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

I'm getting a 404 error when attempting to reach your install directory per the instructions I posted above. Your screenshots indicate it is there, so is there something in your .htaccess file(s) that is blocking the connection?
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
johndoe22

Post by johndoe22 »

I will check it out and report back. Is the Wordpress the problem?
P_I
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by P_I »

Probably not. On one of my sites I run both WordPress and a forum and they happily co-exist.

That said, IIRC there is some WordPress configuration/settings, such as Permalink Settings, and/or WordPress' .htaccess that could be involved.
johndoe22

Post by johndoe22 »

I just realized the problem. This is an Oracle server where I have two websites that I manage with Hestia. Apparently where I put it is for the other site so the URL does not work.... now I have to figure out how to use it on the site I want.
johndoe22

Post by johndoe22 »

Perfect, I got it working!!!

For some reason the forum looks ugly, stranger. Here is the URL https://bit.ly/3uTqHPf
janus_zonstraal

Post by janus_zonstraal »

there is a 404 error on the style.css => /forum/styles/prosilver/theme/en/stylesheet.css
Sorry! My English is bat ;) !!!
johndoe22

Post by johndoe22 »

How can I fix it?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Re-upload that file.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
"Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb"

Return to “[3.3.x] Support Forum”