MySQL: Restoring old DB in new install

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Vv.

MySQL: Restoring old DB in new install

Post by Vv. »

Ik cannot update my forum anymore. 2.0.12 is it's version but I can't update the database anymore for next phpbb-versions.
Reason for it is unknown.
Though, that's not a problem. I want to install a fresh board anyway with other mods etc. so..

Now, I want to import that old database in a new install with other mods and some I used before. Functionality of the mods works, as long as I update de old mods before making the backup of the database.

But now my question:

Is the new board (2.0.15) reset to 2.0.12 when I restore the old database?
And what happens with parts of the database that won't be used anymore because I don't use the mod anymore?
Yawner

Post by Yawner »

ok.. yes u can do that..

upload the 2.0.15 files... and then restore the database.... then run the install/update_to_latest.php file and then reinstall any MODS that u want and any that requied changes to the database...
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!
timdnew

Post by timdnew »

I am facing a similar issue so I want to make sure I understand your advice:

I backup my existing db which is 2.0.6

I delete my existing sql folder

I do a fresh install of the latest version of phpbb 2.0.15

I create the new sql as part of that process

I then use restore backup from the new forum to reload my old db data

I then must run the update_to_latest in the Install directory

Is that all correct?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

timdnew wrote: I am facing a similar issue so I want to make sure I understand your advice:

I backup my existing db which is 2.0.6

I delete my existing sql folder

I do a fresh install of the latest version of phpbb 2.0.15

I create the new sql as part of that process

I then use restore backup from the new forum to reload my old db data

I then must run the update_to_latest in the Install directory

Is that all correct?

all of that sounds fine, however, I don't think you need to delete your old sql folder, besides, unless you have root access to the database server, you cant access the actual database folder anyway. If you are talking about the folders in the phpbb directory, then they have nothing to do with the actual database.

also, if your database is over 2 mb in size, the restore function in phpbb won't work, so you have to use something like:
Big Dump
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
timdnew

Post by timdnew »

The cpanel has an option to delete the sql db. I would delete it just so the db name stays consistent between the old and the new. That may not be necessary but I was thinking the old db would have references to that name. But you are the php expert, not I. But I am trying to learn as I go.
Lumpy Burgertushie

ilf you are upgrading there is no need to delete the old database, you just upgrade the phpbb files and then update the database as per the instructions.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
Vv.

Re: MySQL: Restoring old DB in new install

Post by Vv. »

Vv. wrote: Is the new board (2.0.15) reset to 2.0.12 when I restore the old database?

So yes it will. Thanks for the info.
My worries are that the problem is somewhere in the database and I will have the exact same problem updating the db after all the hard work.

And what happens with parts of the database that won't be used anymore because I don't use the mod anymore?

Isn't there a way to test and correct my old database, if problems or unused celles are found?
timdnew

Post by timdnew »

I think I had your same fears and I backed up everything just in case but my fears were unfounded.

I just updated late Sunday night from 2.0.6 to 2.0.15. I was using Cpanel and just uploaded the new files (with the selection to overwrite existing files checked) from the expanded update file from the Cpanel file manager into the proper directory. When finished I ran the update in the Install folder and all worked fine. The last step is what changes the version number from the previous version to the current version if I understood correctly.
Lumpy Burgertushie

timdnew wrote: I think I had your same fears and I backed up everything just in case but my fears were unfounded.

I just updated late Sunday night from 2.0.6 to 2.0.15. I was using Cpanel and just uploaded the new files (with the selection to overwrite existing files checked) from the expanded update file from the Cpanel file manager into the proper directory. When finished I ran the update in the Install folder and all worked fine. The last step is what changes the version number from the previous version to the current version if I understood correctly.

good job, I am surprised that it worked OK using the cpanel file manager, but good. Yes, the update to latest file updates the version number but that is not all it does, it updates the database with any changes that need to be made.

In this version it also adds a new field to the sessions table as well as all the other updates depending on which version you are updating from.

robert

Vv.

Post by Vv. »

Thanks for the advice.
Though it shouldn't matter what way the updates are performed right?

No option besides giving it a try (muuuuuch work :( ) ?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”