Get last posts/topics/notifications update in some way without reloading the page, with proper users views permissions

Need some custom code changes to the phpBB core simple enough that you feel doesn't require an extension? Then post your request here so that community members can provide some assistance.

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

NOTE: NO OFFICIAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED IN THIS SUB-FORUM
axe70
Name: Alessio

Get last posts/topics/notifications update in some way without reloading the page, with proper users views permissions

Post by axe70 »

Hello all lovely and cool guys! Hope all around is going well for you all, as i find out sometime to expend, i always try to do some mess around.
I have fond last time the way to trick about posts/topics insertion via another cms editor into phpBB, but after i did all ready to finalize the code because all was working fine and fast i asked myself: Why Never? And abandoned because duplicated contents aren't a nice idea and it is really not a smarty idea to post into phpBB from let say WP. The modification i did take advantage of the Html on Posts extension which can exactly do the dirty work so to display html contents into phpBB posts. But to do what? Nothing useful. Abandoned.

So you start thinking ok, it is another topic full of crazy assertions that we (you) should read..
well... yes! :D

So instead, like i confused titled this topic, i would work around to another fact:
to have phpBB content updated without having to reload a page (notifications and posts/topics). I would like to do both for phpBB and also for WordPress, where into an integration extension for example, last posts widgets and shortcodes, display latest phpBB updated topics.

Thinking on how to efficiently and easily realize this task, i just hooked the submit_post_end listener to know, using just a timestamp as result, when and if a further action should be performed, to get a list of new topics.
But after this first step, the big problem we deal with, is: how to get posts and notifications for a specified user, with proper permissions?
This is the hard point.
Beside the easy logic that can be applied to get results only for legit requests, is there a possible function about this into phpBB that could be used to get a list of last topics/posts?
Should be related the main index forum page maybe, where there are last posts forums that display, based on user's permissions.
Or should be used a custom sql query? (which i have ready as basic, because it consider only the default main user's group and not all groups which an user could belong to (it can be easily improved to get all).

Or as bad i am, and based on last Vertical Views intuition, why to not perform a GET via an hidden iframe, when and if the case, that when called with proper param, just return the list of topics/posts as output, stopping phpBB to be loaded completely?

What do you think? Which can be the more efficient to you?

[TITLE edited]
Do not take me too serious
Anyway i do not like Discourse

Return to “phpBB Custom Coding”