Can the warning notification PM be anonymous?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
fabioganga

Can the warning notification PM be anonymous?

Post by fabioganga »

Hi everyone, and thanks in advance for your help!

I have recently joined a forum as a moderator, and whilst I am going to plan a migration to the latest version (we have 3.2.2 at the moment), in the meantime I have noticed a problem that I would like to tackle.

If I issue a warning to a user and select the option for the user to be notified, the user receives a PM revealing the name of the moderator that has issued such warning, as if the notification message was sent manually, just like a standard user to user message.

This lack of anonymity, unfortunately, introduces a problem... as if the user believes that the warning was issued unfairly he contacts that specific moderator who did it and starts arguing.

Is there away, please, that such warning notification PM be made anonymous, every single time whatever moderator chooses the option to notify the user?

NOT selecting the notification option is no good to us, unfortunately, as we hope to teach the user what expressions and behaviour are not tolerated.

I'm happy to manually modify the database or any file.

Many thanks for your help.
Sniper_E
Name: Ed Humphrey

Re: Can the warning notification PM be anonymous?

Post by Sniper_E »

What came to my mind is creating a Site [bot] user and have admins and moderators know the password to login as that bot.
Then if anyone needs to send a warning notification PM to a user, logout and login as Site [bot] and send your warning PM.
Set the [bot] in the bot group as default but also put it in the moderator group so you guys can do your business with it.
Image . -.. / .... ..- -- .--. .... .-. . -.--
No is NEVER an Option and NEVER is the only Option when it comes to Giving Up!

:!: Sniper_E Styles | phpbbmodders :!:
fabioganga

Post by fabioganga »

Sniper_E wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:11 am What came to my mind is creating a Site [bot] user and have admins and moderators know the password to login as that bot.
Then if anyone needs to send a warning notification PM to a user, logout and login as Site [bot] and send your warning PM.
Set the [bot] in the bot group as default but also put it in the moderator group so you guys can do your business with it.
This can be a nice workaround, but knowing my colleagues they will probably forget to use that special user! :D
I will talk to them about it.

Isn't there any other way that is 100% foolproof that doesn't require having to log out and then back in as another user?

Is there perhaps a file that needs to be edited so that the moderator name is no longer shown?

Thanks!
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

You may be better off making an extension request.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Brf
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Brf »

fabioganga wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:01 pm Is there perhaps a file that needs to be edited so that the moderator name is no longer shown?
Hiding the moderator name is irrelevant. What you are trying to prevent is clicking the Send Reply button.
fabioganga

Post by fabioganga »

Brf wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:49 pm
fabioganga wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:01 pm Is there perhaps a file that needs to be edited so that the moderator name is no longer shown?
Hiding the moderator name is irrelevant. What you are trying to prevent is clicking the Send Reply button.
No, I reiterate that I don't want them to know what mod issued the warning. Hiding the Send reply does not stop them from moaning on a separate PM rather than the warning notice itself.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”