Where are my Captcha settings?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
Hermskii

Where are my Captcha settings?

Post by Hermskii »

I need to update my Captcha settings on my forum and forgot where the settings are. Please let me know where they are. Thanks.
~Peace~

Hermskii
halil16
Name: Halil

Re: Where are my Captcha settings?

Post by halil16 »

Hi,
Go to ACP > Board configuration menu > Spambot countermeasures page and Available plugins block.
My board: phpBB GroupO BeldeThatTowns*for sale*
Hire me for your phpBB board. ⭐
Introducing Mobile Upgrade! Make your phpBB board like an app! 📢
"The day we will need ideas more than possessions, we will find the secret to true wealth." - Peyami Safa
Hermskii

Post by Hermskii »

Thanks. I have an old version running and guess I used some other captcha option. Mine ask the user three questions. At some point the questions and answers showed on every post on the left thus allowing people to feed the answer to bots or whatever so now I have to nuke a ton of registrations all of the time. Here is an example and I hope I'm allowed to post a link. Look on the left under the image of whoever posts anything. Where can I find and change that info or hide it. I have no idea how it ever got there, Been this way for years:

https://hermskii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2523
~Peace~

Hermskii
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Hermskii wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:11 amWhere can I find and change that info
They look like custom profile fields see Custom Profile Fields for more information.

The wiggly letter type CAPTCHA you’re using was beaten many years ago and is basically ineffective, I suggest you try the built in Q&A see Knowledge Base - How to configure Q&A CAPTCHA. Using that and activating the Newly Registered User group can stop up to 90% or more of bot registration attempts.

In ACP> General tab> User registration settings>
User registration settings wrote: New member post limit: New members are within the Newly Registered Users group until they reach this number of posts. You can use this group to keep them from using the PM system or to review their posts. A value of 0 disables this feature.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel
warmweer
Jr. Extension Validator

Post by warmweer »

Hermskii wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:11 am ...
https://hermskii.com/forum/
You're using phpBB 3.2.3 with PHP 5.4.45 :roll:

and your Black style is 3.2.1

You should really update to 3.2.11 (which will work with your PHP version) or (preferably) upgrade to 3.3.11 (requiring PHP 7.2.0+)
Spelling is freeware, which means you can use it for free.
On the other hand, it is not open source, which means you cannot change it or publish it in a modified form.

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like a banana.
Hermskii

Post by Hermskii »

As you folks can see, I have not updated anything on my forum in a long time. My feeling has been I'd rather have it weak and working somewhat than broken and unusable. For that reason and my lack of knowing what to do exactly, I have not adjusted anything here in a long time.

@Mick, I do hope to try the Q&A Captcha you suggested. please keep reading and respond. I did have custom profile fields just as you thought. I deactivated them and now that section under my user profile picture in info appears correctly. THANK YOU! I think I last updated my PHP version about 10 years ago. I discussed hiring someone to do all of this for me and never decided on who was best for my needs and ended up walking away from it. I think I really need to do this myself if possible so I will try.

I'm confused about what the next step really should be so I will try to address replies and explain my confusion.

warmweer said "You're using phpBB 3.2.3 with PHP 5.4.45"
Where do you see that? On the ACP, my Current version list me to be using version 3.2.3 .

I will be happy to update to 3.2.11 but then you say it would be better to go to 3.3.11 which requires PHP 7.2.0+ to which I say fine but how? Is there a way to tell who I should listen to here? Can I see that one person is highly suggested to be listed to over another? I hardly have any idea how to do any of this and so sadly, I'll practically listen to and try to do whatever I'm told. I wish I could see post counts or a rating under a username who is telling me to try this or that. I think I dealt with Mick here years ago and got great advice. Does Mick agree with warmweer and if so, can one or both of you agree on what my next best step should be? Do I update using the full package or the automatic update package? Do I update my black pearl appearance first or does that matter? Tons of question still I have yes (Read that like Yoda said it) Do I update top PHP7.2 or stay in the 3.2.X group. I don't know.

Thanks for trying to assist me.
~Peace~

Hermskii
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

These are the recommended upgrade instructions - Upgrading from 3.2 to 3.3. If you follow the instructions to the letter including making backups you should be good to go.

You will have to find a new style for 3.3.11 as the phpBB and style versions must match and Arty isn’t as active here now as he was. I see there’s an Arty black style for 3.3.2 you could update that to 3.3.11 I suppose but there are plenty more similar up to date styles I’m sure you’ll find one to suit your purpose.

It would be better going to 3.3.11 because of this.
    " - Harmony Cobel
Hermskii

Post by Hermskii »

I think I am following you. So, I will follow those directions to upgrade my PHB from 3.2 to 3.3.

My first question now is do I need to upgrade my 3.2.1 style first or do I upgrade the PHP version to 3.3 first?

DOH! Now I see the post counts and title under the user's profile pictures. So, Mick is Administrator here. Good! Now I know and feel much better about following his directions.
~Peace~

Hermskii
Hermskii

Post by Hermskii »

Looking at the directions to upgrade to 3.3 spooking me. Here is a question:

I have gone the backup section of ACP and selected all and downloaded the backup to my PC. Does that mean I have backed up my original files and the database or is there something else I have to still need to get a backup of? Honestly, I'm already considering trying to hire someone who can do this with their eyes closed to ensure I don't destroy my forum. I'm still going to try to do this myself first possibly.
~Peace~

Hermskii
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

As I said, just follow the instructions and you should be golden. Knowledge Base - Forum Backup Instructions. Following the instructions you would have reverted to the default prosilver before starting the upgrade. You can add any new style once you’ve upgraded.

If you’re looking for someone to do it for you you can post in the Wanted! forum.

I’m not an administrator.
    " - Harmony Cobel

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”