Text entry box has disappeared

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.2.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or extension related questions here.
DerekDub

Text entry box has disappeared

Post by DerekDub »

Hello,

After a failed attempt to upgrade our forum from v3.2.5 to v3.2 11 we recovered using a backup. This recovery went pretty well however all Forums have lost the text entry field when creating a new Post or replying to a Post. The text box is still appearing but is reduced to a small box that will not accept any text (see attached image).

I suspect this isn't a setting on the board but rather a problem with the style sheet or some other file. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to resolving this problem. Our forum is is pretty much vanilla with only CleanTalk antispam installed.

Thanks for reading this.

Derek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Re: Text entry box has disappeared

Post by thecoalman »

First try purging the cache, if that doesn't help with the window open hold the ctrl key and hit F5 which will do hard refresh of the page.

If that doesn't help reupload the styles folder from your backup selecting yes if prompted to overwrite files, repeat the above process purging the cache and refreshing the browser.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

Attributed - Thomas Edison
Mick
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by Mick »

Out of curiosity why are you updating to 3.2.11 when 3.3.12 is the latest version? On top of that you should read End of Support for phpBB 3.2.x.
  • "The more connected we get the more alone we become" - Kyle Broflovski©
  • "The good news is hell is just the product of a morbid human imagination.
    The bad news is, whatever humans can imagine, they can usually create.
    " - Harmony Cobel©
🇬🇧
DerekDub

Post by DerekDub »

thecoalman wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:13 am First try purging the cache, if that doesn't help with the window open hold the ctrl key and hit F5 which will do hard refresh of the page.

If that doesn't help reupload the styles folder from your backup selecting yes if prompted to overwrite files, repeat the above process purging the cache and refreshing the browser.
Thanks thecoalman, unfortunately none of that worked.
DerekDub

Post by DerekDub »

Mick wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 9:45 am Out of curiosity why are you updating to 3.2.11 when 3.3.12 is the latest version? On top of that you should read End of Support for phpBB 3.2.x.
Sorry Mick, we were trying to update to 3.3.11 (before 3.3.12 was released). Unfortunately I wasn't the one who tried to do the update and I'm now just trying to get us back to where we were. Fortunately a full backup was made prior to updating but restoring from there hasn't gone smoothly with some minor layout issues persisting.
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

Fill out the support request template: https://www.phpbb.com/support/srt/

In particular the link for your forum.
“Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results! I have found several thousand things that won’t work.”

DerekDub

Post by DerekDub »

Support Request Template
What version of phpBB are you using? phpBB 3.2.5
What is your board's URL? https://www.engsw.com/PowerCADDForum/
Who do you host your board with? https://www.inmotionhosting.com/
How did you install your board? Someone else installed my board for me
What is the most recent action performed on your board? Restored from a backup
Is registration required to reproduce this issue? Yes
Do you have any MODs installed? No
Do you have any extensions installed? Yes
What version of phpBB3 did you update from? phpBB 3.0-B1
What extensions do you have installed? Antispam by CleanTalk 5.7.1
VigLink 1.0.4 (disabled)
What styles do you currently have installed? prosilver
What language(s) is your board currently using? US English
Which database type/version are you using? MariaDB
What is your level of experience? New to PHP but not phpBB
What username can be used to view this issue? JSparks
What password can be used to view this issue? Sirowet1
What actions did you take (updating your board; installing a MOD, style or extension; etc.) prior to this problem becoming noticeable? We attempted to update our board from phpbb 3.2.5 to 3.3.11 however the process did not work so we restored the site from a backup made prior to updating.
Please describe your problem. Some of the layout has changed with the most notable being the input text field for new posts is inactive and appears as a small rectangle. Clicking within this small rectangle does not allow entry of any text.
Generated by SRT Generator
thecoalman
Community Team Member
Community Team Member

Post by thecoalman »

If you look at the header see how the links are bunched up? There is open tag. One of the templates must be corrupt or wrong version.

You can download the full 3.2.5 package from here: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... -3.2.5.zip

Unzip and upload the styles folder overwriting existing files. Purge the cache.

DerekDub

Post by DerekDub »

thecoalman wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:34 am If you look at the header see how the links are bunched up? There is open tag. One of the templates must be corrupt or wrong version.

You can download the full 3.2.5 package from here: https://download.phpbb.com/pub/release/ ... -3.2.5.zip

Unzip and upload the styles folder overwriting existing files. Purge the cache.
Still not working. The corrupt file(s) must not be in the Styles folder.
DerekDub

Post by DerekDub »

I have resolved the problem!

When the other admin tried to update phpbb they also updated php from v.7.2 to 7.4. phpbb v3.2.x was not supported after php 7.2.

Now that I have things working again I will attempt to bring everything up to date to the current versions.

Thank you for your patience and assistance.

Return to “[3.2.x] Support Forum”