Reviving Animals with Chemicals?[discovery or madness?]

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
ChaosBringer

Reviving Animals with Chemicals?[discovery or madness?]

Post by ChaosBringer »

Dont know if this has been posted here yet. http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15 ... =otherside

SCIENTISTS have created eerie zombie dogs, reanimating the canines after several hours of clinical death in attempts to develop suspended animation for humans.
US scientists have succeeded in reviving the dogs after three hours of clinical death, paving the way for trials on humans within years.

Pittsburgh's Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research has developed a technique in which subject's veins are drained of blood and filled with an ice-cold salt solution.

The animals are considered scientifically dead, as they stop breathing and have no heartbeat or brain activity.

But three hours later, their blood is replaced and the zombie dogs are brought back to life with an electric shock.

Plans to test the technique on humans should be realised within a year, according to the Safar Centre.

However rather than sending people to sleep for years, then bringing them back to life to benefit from medical advances, the boffins would be happy to keep people in this state for just a few hours,

But even this should be enough to save lives such as battlefield casualties and victims of stabbings or gunshot wounds, who have suffered huge blood loss.
Advertisement:

During the procedure blood is replaced with saline solution at a few degrees above zero. The dogs' body temperature drops to only 7C, compared with the usual 37C, inducing a state of hypothermia before death.

Although the animals are clinically dead, their tissues and organs are perfectly preserved.

Damaged blood vessels and tissues can then be repaired via surgery. The dogs are brought back to life by returning the blood to their bodies,giving them 100 per cent oxygen and applying electric shocks to restart their hearts.

Tests show they are perfectly normal, with no brain damage.

"The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology," said one US battlefield doctor.

If this is true:
On one hand i have to say this is a great development, on the other, it scares me to know we are advancing so quickly. I think this is a little bit too freaky to practice on humans.

01000001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 00100000 01100010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100001 01110010 01100101 00100000 01100010 01100101 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110101 01110011 00100001
starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj »

Good and bad...im honestly not sure which at this time.

It might be helpful in certain cases, but it might be used in unethical ways (no dont flame me!).
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!
action_man

Post by action_man »

I think the story is actually fabricated.

Look at the light hearted manner in which they present it, and the links beneath that article are to say the least a little bogus ...
ExistenZ

Post by ExistenZ »

f this is true, i dont think it would work on humans. I dont know if this is just me...but humans have a soul. And your soul passes on after you die. It cant just come back. Or...i dont know.

The point is that is would be evil to pull a soul out of "heaven" and then place him/her back onto the world.
Nephrus
Former Team Member

Post by Nephrus »

ExistenZ wrote: f this is true, i dont think it would work on humans. I dont know if this is just me...but humans have a soul. And your soul passes on after you die. It cant just come back. Or...i dont know.

The point is that is would be evil to pull a soul out of "heaven" and then place him/her back onto the world.

It has been proven on some surgeries (i.e. heart), people have died on the operating table for minutes at a time in order to complete their surgery.

I don't see how this would work though since the saline solution would have to be poured into the body as the blood was leaving to provide a near perfect volume otherwise, it would not work and be construed as massive blood loss.
[ Zelda Planet - nephrus.net - phpBB Userguide - phpBB Knowledge Base - phpBB.com Forum Rules ]
ABSOLUTELY NO support via PM/IM/email or I'll get a cow to sit on you
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

ExistenZ wrote: f this is true, i dont think it would work on humans. I dont know if this is just me...but humans have a soul. And your soul passes on after you die. It cant just come back. Or...i dont know.

Clinically dead (and coming back) vs. Dying (but not coming back)
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
ExistenZ

Post by ExistenZ »

Well, either wa. i dont want to be ressurected. it freaks me out. And yet, i suppose if ou gave someone from the 1800's heart sugery, they would freak out to. :oops:
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

ExistenZ wrote: Well, either wa. i dont want to be ressurected. it freaks me out. And yet, i suppose if ou gave someone from the 1800's heart sugery, they would freak out to. :oops:
Regardless of wether this is a hoax or not I (and many others I am sure) have no will to die. I am all in if someone can save me at all - including using this procedure.
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Ok, ignoring the fact that I don't believe in heaven or anything like that, just a question: what's to say the dogs don't have souls as well? All dogs go to heaven according to the movie, so perhaps the dogs got their souls ripped from dog heaven and got brought back? I don't see why a dog shouldn't have a soul if a human can, so therefore I'd say it would work on humans.

I say it won't work though because I've seen this posted elsewhere and I beleive it's been proven that this is a hoax. Besides, if it was true, we'd be hearing about this all over the news, and it would be the biggest conversation piece 'round the watercooler today.
iloserman

Post by iloserman »

Magnotta wrote: I say it won't work though because I've seen this posted elsewhere and I beleive it's been proven that this is a hoax. Besides, if it was true, we'd be hearing about this all over the news, and it would be the biggest conversation piece 'round the watercooler today.

Well news dosn't always get picked up by the media.

Oh, and just to let you know, we're still talking about those TPS...you know...the memo...

ILM
- Have a problem? I would love to help you out.
[ AIM ] [ MSN ] [ PM ] [ E-MAIL ] [ Website ] <- Contact info below.

Over 2,550+ users assisted, outside of phpBB. 37 Hosted.
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

Magnotta wrote:
ExistenZ wrote:f this is true, i dont think it would work on humans. I dont know if this is just me...but humans have a soul. And your soul passes on after you die. It cant just come back. Or...i dont know.

Ok, ignoring the fact that I don't believe in heaven or anything like that, just a question: what's to say the dogs don't have souls as well?

Unfortunately, many Christian fundamentalists really do believe that all animals are soulless and have no real feelings. I didn't realize this myself until a few years ago when I ran into some Pentecostals and one of them pointed at my pet dog and admonished me not to treat him like a person because he's just a soulless object with no real feelings.

After overcoming my initial reaction of shock and irritation (dammit, my dog has feelings!), I asked him where this came from, and he proudly replied that the Bible says God "breathed life" into man, but not into any other creature. Therefore, according to his logic, dogs have no souls, and therefore no real feelings.

People like that scare me.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Darth Wong wrote: ... Therefore, according to his logic, dogs have no souls, and therefore no real feelings.

And if it turns out that neither animal nor humans have "souls" (more likely IMO) does that mean the person you met was just another souless object (with no feelings)?
Darth Wong

Post by Darth Wong »

NewGuy wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:... Therefore, according to his logic, dogs have no souls, and therefore no real feelings.

And if it turns out that neither animal nor humans have "souls" (more likely IMO) does that mean the person you met was just another souless object (with no feelings)?

Personally, I think you need to be a soulless object in order to look into the eyes of a dog and still be able to deny that he has feelings.
Not a three-foot tall green gnome in real-life: My home page.
My wretched hive of scum and villainy: http://bbs.stardestroyer.net/
Magnotta
Former Team Member

Post by Magnotta »

Darth Wong wrote:
Magnotta wrote:
ExistenZ wrote:f this is true, i dont think it would work on humans. I dont know if this is just me...but humans have a soul. And your soul passes on after you die. It cant just come back. Or...i dont know.

Ok, ignoring the fact that I don't believe in heaven or anything like that, just a question: what's to say the dogs don't have souls as well?

Unfortunately, many Christian fundamentalists really do believe that all animals are soulless and have no real feelings. I didn't realize this myself until a few years ago when I ran into some Pentecostals and one of them pointed at my pet dog and admonished me not to treat him like a person because he's just a soulless object with no real feelings.

After overcoming my initial reaction of shock and irritation (dammit, my dog has feelings!), I asked him where this came from, and he proudly replied that the Bible says God "breathed life" into man, but not into any other creature. Therefore, according to his logic, dogs have no souls, and therefore no real feelings.

Wow, you see I myself would not be able to find that answer, as if I had a dog and someone said that to me with my dog right beside me, there wouldn't be any freindly coversation after that. Now, perhaps if they were to say "btw, about dogs..." one day in ordinary conversation, but not if I had my dog right with me.

Heck, my pet rabbit is actually able to show feelings and emotion and unique personality, and that's a rabbit. When that bunny circles my legs and then licks my arms, well, I consider that real feelings and affection(especially since that isn't something that rabbits will do with anyone, but only with people they know and love). Add in a dog's loyalty, and unconditional love, and, wow....ok, I shall go let this process in my brain now.
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Darth Wong wrote:
NewGuy wrote:
Darth Wong wrote:... Therefore, according to his logic, dogs have no souls, and therefore no real feelings.

Personally, I think you need to be a soulless object in order to look into the eyes of a dog and still be able to deny that he has feelings.
I, as a soulless object, resent that :x - dogs have feelings. I suggest using a term such as "heartless so and so" etc :wink:

Return to “General Discussion”