keep unread flags

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
75%
Very Good
17%
Good
4%
Fair
No votes
Poor
4%

Total votes: 96

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

keep unread flags

Post by Extensions Robot »

Modification name: keep unread flags
Author: asinshesq
Modification description: This mod keeps the unread flags for a topic active until the topic is read. It also activates the new post feature for guests.
Modification version: 2.0.7
Tested on phpBB version: See below

Download file: keep_unread_version_2-0-7.zip
File size: 129338 Bytes

Modification overview page: View

Selected tags:
  1. category
    1. Add-Ons
  2. phpbb
    1. 2.0.22
Support for this modification needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Team is not responsible or required to give anyone support for this modification. By installing this MOD, you acknowledge that the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
A "substantial rewrite" of Ptirhiik's keep unread flags, this MOD modifies how unread / read threads are determined / distinguished.
asinshesq
Name: Alan

Post by asinshesq »

Thanks, TerraFrost!

This is a re-write of Ptirhiik's great keep unread mod (see http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=158578 ). With Ptirhiik's express permission (and very helpful suggestions), Merlin Sythove has written a new and improved version of the keep unread mod.

Despite my username listing as author on the first post of this topic, Merlin did almost 100% of the work...all I did was to test the mod, offer a few suggestions, package it for validation and write a simple mod to the mod (which you can find in the contrib folder of the download) that makes the 'View unread posts' link more obvious when there are unread posts.

Here are the changes as quoted from the mod description:
## The following are new features as a result of Merlin's upgrade in May 2005:
##
## 1. The upgrade solves the bugs that sometimes gave a user an unread flag on
## his or her own posts, sometimes gave a user an unread flag on other posts that
## he or she had already read and sometimes caused a user to lose all unread flags.
##
## 2. The upgrade keeps unread flags beyond the current page of a topic until
## the user actually visits that page.
##
## 3. The upgrade gives the user a new yellow button on each post (right next
## to the quote button) that allows the user to mark the topic unread
## again from that post onwards (a sort of bookmark function).

Note that in the download you will find the basic mod as well as, in a 'contrib' folder, an upgrade mod that takes you from Ptirhiik's original version (1.0.0) to this one if you already have the old one installed plus a set of changed phpbb 2.0.17 files if your board is not modded and you prefer to simply install a new set of phpbb files that already have the mod installed.

Please make sure you read the author's notes, since they describe a number of tweaks and add-ons that you may want to consider using for your board.

Oh, and one more thing: this is a very long mod and you are almost 100% guaranteed to make mistakes if you try to install it by hand. Please save yourself a lot of time (and please save us support time) by installing with easymod!!
Last edited by asinshesq on Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:54 pm, edited 12 times in total.
VVVas

Post by VVVas »

Very-very-very best mod.
Many thanks.
I am sorry for my bad english. I do not know it. I am from Russian.
forum.VVVas.ru
mikeInside

Post by mikeInside »

Thanks heaps, this is perfect :)
»»EDDY««

Post by »»EDDY«« »

This is excellent update MOD:)
Make a Tiny URL in excellent domain heh.pl

cooling system & water cooling
Ptirhiik

Post by Ptirhiik »

:)
acslater

Post by acslater »

i saw this in the instructions:
If you are running the split topic type mod, the topic calendar mod, the profile control panel or any other mod that installs a file called d 'functions_topic_list.php' in your includes/ directory, you need to install the mod_for_functions_topics_list after you have already installed this mod (that mod has not yet been written and may never be)

so this doesn't work with PCP, and probably never will?
»»EDDY««

Post by »»EDDY«« »

I have one problem.
Previously I have in viewforum.php:

Code: Select all

if( $unread_topics )
		{
			$view_topic_url = append_sid("viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id&view=newest");
		}
		else
		{
			$view_topic_url = append_sid("viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id");
		}
//		$view_topic_url = append_sid("viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id");
What do I have to make this now to work?

asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

acslater wrote: i saw this in the instructions:
If you are running the split topic type mod, the topic calendar mod, the profile control panel or any other mod that installs a file called d 'functions_topic_list.php' in your includes/ directory, you need to install the mod_for_functions_topics_list after you have already installed this mod (that mod has not yet been written and may never be)

so this doesn't work with PCP, and probably never will?

Actually, see this post: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 02#1683702

If you tryi it, let us know what happens.
Merlin Sythove

Post by Merlin Sythove »

»»EDDY«« wrote: I have one problem...

Just back from holiday. Please explain what the problem is:
1. Where are those lines you quote
2. Are they from the original phpBB file
3. Why are you quoting them? Is Easymod giving you a problem there?
»»EDDY««

Post by »»EDDY«« »

I in version 1.0 in file viewforum.php exchanged this

$view_topic_url = append_sid("viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id");
to this

if( $unread_topics ) 
      { 
         $view_topic_url = append_sid("viewtopic.$phpEx?" . POST_TOPIC_URL . "=$topic_id&view=newest"); 
      } 
      else 
      { 
      }
but in version 2+ it does't work.

Merlin Sythove

Post by Merlin Sythove »

You have to "uninstall" version 1 - the mod also has instructions on how to do that and install the new version 2 at the same time, for those people who want to change from Ptirhiik's mod to mine in one go.
asinshesq

Post by asinshesq »

Merlin Sythove wrote: You have to "uninstall" version 1 - the mod also has instructions on how to do that and install the new version 2 at the same time, for those people who want to change from Ptirhiik's mod to mine in one go.

There is an upgrade script in the 'contrib' folder that you should be using instead of the basic mod if you have the original keep unread installed. You just have to follow instructions in that upgrade script (you don't need to formally 'uninstall' anything). And please use easymod to do this so you don't make inadvertent errors and then take up a lot of your time (and ours) chasing them down.
»»EDDY««

Post by »»EDDY«« »

We did not it understand.
I have installed version 2, there now I want this small modification to work.
if( $unread_topics )
{
}
else
{
}

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”