Solution For SubSilver Background Image Doesn't Work

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Vinz

Solution For SubSilver Background Image Doesn't Work

Post by Vinz »

I have read the knowledge base and tried many times to get the background image in subSilver to work. I've put in the full path/filename in a new line (background-image) in overall_header.tpl; I've also tried the indirect path method; I've tried removing the CSS portion in overall_header.tpl; all as suggested in the knowledge base.

When I do it, the forum is displayed without a style at all (looks really awful.) I don't see how just adding one line in overall_header.tpl renders it useless.

Any more pointers? I use Mac OSX, but I open the tpl files in Dreamweaver MX, and the file editing seems to go OK.

Thank you!

tahoebuff
Name: Michael

Post by tahoebuff »

Have you tried this? (following the instructions at the bottom)

Tahoebuff

Vinz

Post by Vinz »

Thanks for trying to help.

Just tried that suggestion. There's still something seriously wrong with the tpl file. Adding that line ruins the whole thing.....the forum works, but there is no style at all (no visible tables, wrong fonts, no cell shading--it looks awful).

That's what I'm talking about - it's not that the background isn't working - the whole style gets screwed up. I think changing the tpl file somehow ruins it.

Vinz

Post by Vinz »

SOME PROGRESS - FINALLY!

I tried editing the tpl file in Word - forcing it to open as text only, and saving it as MS-DOS Text. Evidently that makes all the difference. I was opening the tpl file in Dreamweaver - which let me edit just fine, but it somehow damaged the file.

Now, the background works, but it's not the one I was hoping for!!
I was hoping to put a background image where "SnowSilver" puts its snowflakes background image. Any pointers for this one?

Wow, that was a struggle.

jwunderly

Post by jwunderly »

Vinz wrote: I tried editing the tpl file in Word - forcing it to open as text only, and saving it as MS-DOS Text. Evidently that makes all the difference. I was opening the tpl file in Dreamweaver - which let me edit just fine, but it somehow damaged the file.

Take a look at the NotePad++ Web Site. This is an editor that some of use for doing the .php/.tpl file edits. I also use it for my regular work.
John (A cranky old man. "Looking for an echo ...")
using any control-panel install/update is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't kill you, but you're really going to hobble around until it heals.
Using the wrong tools (Front Page, DreamWeaver) gives the same results
Do not PM me for Support!

Vinz

Post by Vinz »

You keep trying and trying and trying - and it pays off.

I modified the ".bodyline" parameter in overall_header.tpl, and I got it!
I will also check out the Notepad++ editor.

Thanks all!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”