Help - Cannot logout

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
cdesocio

Help - Cannot logout

Post by cdesocio » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:12 pm

When I select logout I get "general error - invalid session".
I close up everything come back to the site and view as a guest. The site indicates that the user account is still active. I login, site logs me in and then indicates there is ONE user.

When I attempt to logout I get the above message???

forum5

Re: Help - Cannot logout

Post by forum5 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:47 pm

cdesocio wrote: When I select logout I get "general error - invalid session"....I close up everything come back to the site and view as a guest. The site indicates that the user account is still active. I login, site logs me in and then indicates there is ONE user. ...When I attempt to logout I get the above message???

Sounds like a sessions problem. Did you do an upgrade or resore of the database?

I am having the same problem. If you can get to the Admin page or directly to the database, set the session period to a low number so it will expire sooner. This will get you back into the forum.

cdesocio

Re: Help - Cannot logout

Post by cdesocio » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:08 pm

forum5 wrote:
cdesocio wrote:When I select logout I get "general error - invalid session"....I close up everything come back to the site and view as a guest. The site indicates that the user account is still active. I login, site logs me in and then indicates there is ONE user. ...When I attempt to logout I get the above message???

Sounds like a sessions problem. Did you do an upgrade or resore of the database?

I am having the same problem. If you can get to the Admin page or directly to the database, set the session period to a low number so it will expire sooner. This will get you back into the forum.

I installed a different style [graphite]. Do you have a session "timeout" that you think is a good setting?

cdesocio

Post by cdesocio » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:37 pm

I went into the db and removed the session records from the table.
That cleared up the specific problem, BUT when I logged in again the same situation happened, and it happens when I select the "logout" button.

"general error - Invalid Session"

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:39 pm

Total stab in the dark - what's in your domain and cookie domain values under General Admin > Configuration?

cdesocio

Post by cdesocio » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:48 pm

I have left all the defaults for the cookies...except the domain, and I just put in domain.org. Where "domain" is the actual site domain name.

Further FYI, I am running the phpBB 2.0.18, php 4.X and MySQL 4.X

I went into the BB siste admin, deleted the "graphite" style, went back to the subSilver, now logout works fine.

I suppose that "graphite" style either has a code issue Or it just is not compatable with 2.0.18? It does indicate it was written for V 2.0.10, but I thought that it would be ok with any 2.0.X version of phpBB2.

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:13 pm

I've had a few ppl with logout problems and it was cookie domain related.

Make sure the cookie domain is filled in, and reads:

.domain.org (note the two dots)

Clear your cache, close all browsers and reopen.

forum5

Graphite will work with ver. 2.0.18

Post by forum5 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:41 am

cdesocio wrote: I have left all the defaults for the cookies...except the domain, and I just put in domain.org. Where "domain" is the actual site domain name....

I went into the BB siste admin, deleted the "graphite" style, went back to the subSilver, now logout works fine.

I suppose that "graphite" style either has a code issue Or it just is not compatable with 2.0.18? It does indicate it was written for V 2.0.10, but I thought that it would be ok with any 2.0.X version of phpBB2.

I was running 2.0.13 with Graphite style and moved to a new URL, and upgraded to 2.0.18, still using Graphite style. Here are my steps, if it will help.

1. Backup the 2.0.13 database which uses Graphite.
2. Add a fresh copy of Graphite to the templates then FTP 2.0.13 to the new URL.
3. Make sure that 2.0.13 & Graphite are working.
4. Remove the 'Config.php' file and save it for later installation.
5. Delete server side 2.0.13 files and replace the server side files with 2.0.18, not touching the database.
6. restore the saved copy of the config.php file.
7. The last step is to point your browser to http://{YOUR_DOMAIN}/{FORUM_ROOT}/install/update_to_latest.php.
8. delete the contrib and install directories and everything should then be functional.

I had trouble with the SQL database and had to login to the server and change a few things in the database. You should make these changes in the saved database before restoring it to the server. Such as references to the forum URL and cookie info.

What stumped me for a while was the proper syntax for the cookie & URL in the config database. I eventually got it corrected.

Last thing, open your browser and MAKE SURE ALL CACHE AND CLIENT SIDE FILES AND COOKIES ARE DELETED. T H I S__I S__I M P O R T A N T. You will have session and logout/login problems if the serverside config cookie are not set properly as well as local client cache cleared.

Hope this helps.

cdesocio

Post by cdesocio » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:13 pm

Ok, I got it to work once!
I had to manually delete all browser temp files and cookies.
As soon as I logged back in again...same problem.
You can login, but not logout.

I changed the settings in the db tables so they matched the config info in the phpBB admin config.

Now I have...

domain: www."domain".org
cookie domain" www."domain".org
cookie name: "phpbb2mysql"
cookie path: /

I have tried using the leading "." without the www back and forth, still does not work?

Again, I do not get it...using subSilver style...everything works???

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:20 pm

try this, copy the subSilver login_body.tpl file into your graphite directory

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

cdesocio

Post by cdesocio » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:49 pm

Ok. I tried that. copied the subSilver file to the graphite template.

Same problem.

I removed all cookies etc first, and went to the db and cleared all the individual session info.

I still get the "invalid session" on the logout attempt.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:20 pm

how about a link to the board
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

cdesocio

Post by cdesocio » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:45 pm

I did post a link to the board, but then I took it down.
I gave up on the graphite style and went back to subSilver. I will just modify it as necessary. At least I know it will function as needed.

thanks for your help and suggestions. I just didn't want to keep banging my head on it . maybe I will try it again some day.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”