Massive Emailing Issue

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
leo51

Massive Emailing Issue

Post by leo51 »

PLEASE FORGIVE ME IF HERE IS THE WRONG PLACE TO POST MY ISSUE but I have read the Forum headings and still not sure where to ask this question and for months now I am faced with this problem.

ISSUE: I have 3,134 registered users and I am unable to send a massive newsletter. I have ask in other forums and no one is responding. Also, runing searches for "Massive Email to all registered users" and is coming up with no answers. Also, I have searched this forum for weeks but guess its so many topics in here and might just be taking me too long to find my answer.

Thanks
mike9999

Post by mike9999 »

Unable to send, or unable to find where to send one from?
leo51

Post by leo51 »

mike9999 wrote: Unable to send

Thanks for the response and Sorry for not making myself clear. I do know where to send it from in the "Admin Panel" only a test to the admin email that get sent.

Thanks
lurttinen
Translator

Post by lurttinen »

Any error messages?

Fill out the support request template.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128123
Signature is here
leo51

Post by leo51 »

lurttinen wrote: Any error messages?

Fill out the support request template.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=128123

Sorry, but I do not get any error when I click on "Send", from the status bar, it seems to be sending then after some seconds that action goes away and I won't get the finish message "Massive Email send to users" but the form where I type the newsletter just stays there.
ssslippy

Post by ssslippy »

Have you thought about just being patient. You realize it had to generate 3k emails?
espicom

Post by espicom »

Most hosts will not allow you to send 3000 emails at one time. In fact, the default way that PHPBB does it is to send ONE email with 3000 addressees... and most hosts will stop you at 100 or 200.

Plus, as ssslippy said, it may be timing out PHP's internal "dead man" timer, which can be set anywhere from 3 to 120 seconds, depending upon the host.

Contact your host, and ask them what the limits are. There are MODs out there to generate the bulk emails in smaller chunks, and you might find it easier to find a MOD that allows you to download the email addresses from your database as a "mail list" for something like Outlook, Thunderbird, or some other proper email client, which will let you get around all sorts of ISP limitations... and even include HTML if you want.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
leo51

Post by leo51 »

ssslippy wrote: Have you thought about just being patient. You realize it had to generate 3k emails?

Well, over six months waiting for 48 hours plus to see what happens is a lot of patient. Thanks anyway
leo51

Post by leo51 »

espicom wrote: Most hosts will not allow you to send 3000 emails at one time. In fact, the default way that PHPBB does it is to send ONE email with 3000 addressees... and most hosts will stop you at 100 or 200.

Thanks, I have been searching but not finding the correct thing. I will just keep searching.

Thanks, All fot the responses.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

leo51 wrote:
espicom wrote:Most hosts will not allow you to send 3000 emails at one time. In fact, the default way that PHPBB does it is to send ONE email with 3000 addressees... and most hosts will stop you at 100 or 200.

Thanks, I have been searching but not finding the correct thing. I will just keep searching.

what does that mean. that you are not taking any of the answers you got seriuosly.

espicom is about as qualified as you can get to answer this type of question.

but the info he gave you is fairly common knowledge. no host is going to let you send out 3000 emails at one time. they all have builtin safegaurds against this because of spammers.

bottom line;

contact the host and you will most likely find that they have stopped you from doing this.

robet
Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
leo51

Post by leo51 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:
leo51 wrote:
espicom wrote:Most hosts will not allow you to send 3000 emails at one time. In fact, the default way that PHPBB does it is to send ONE email with 3000 addressees... and most hosts will stop you at 100 or 200.

what does that mean. that you are not taking any of the answers you got seriuosly.

espicom is about as qualified as you can get to answer this type of question.

but the info he gave you is fairly common knowledge. no host is going to let you send out 3000 emails at one time. they all have builtin safegaurds against this because of spammers.

bottom line;

contact the host and you will most likely find that they have stopped you from doing this.

robet

I think that you mis-understood my response to espicom. I was only referring to the scripts that he is suggesting that I have been searching for one of those scripts to help me but I am not finding the right one . PLEASE don't take be wrong
Lumpy Burgertushie

yes, I misunderstood, sorry,

I know there is a MOD that lets you break up the list into smaller chunks to mail out and get around the hosts limits. but I can't find it either.

robert

I am pleased to announce that I have completed the first item on my bucket list. I have the bucket.
leo51

Post by leo51 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: yes, I misunderstood, sorry,

I know there is a MOD that lets you break up the list into smaller chunks to mail out and get around the hosts limits. but I can't find it either.

robert

No problem.....welcome anytime.......This is a very big forum in terms of threads and lots to search through but I have been at this for a very longtime over a year since my database keep growing and just felt there might be something to do with phpbb but since doing the last upgrade and still the same results I decided to post looking for answers but I really understand and have to find that mod because I need to send out newsletters.

Thanks
Lumpy Burgertushie

leo51

Post by leo51 »

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: I found it finally.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... light=mail

Thanks alot I just came back home and is going to check it out.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”