How did you all find phpBB?

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
Net Guardian

How did you all find phpBB?

Post by Net Guardian »

Do you use their forum? What's your opinion on how well they have done? Just curious to know.
thecribuk

Post by thecribuk »

Ye man their forums are cool! i've had many forums in past but none match up to the work done on these!!! a was just lucky to stumble ova them on ma server!!!
Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec »

I have to say I can't remember how I stumbled upon phpBB, it must've been like 5 years or more ago when I did, no way my memory could reach that far back.
prince_of_oreon

Post by prince_of_oreon »

I first discovered phpBB through a friend. My initial account was prince~of~oreon, but I forgot the password. Oddly, enough the friend who introduced me to phpBB became indifferent, whilst I became an enthusiast.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

I found it with google.
I didn't have a clue how to use it at first either. It took me 2 weeks to figure out what the meaning of localhost was
battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

I registered on another forum (which has since closed) that ran phpBB. Liking their forum, I made my own phpBB forum, and it has evolved from that :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D
karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple »

my wifes site was running proboards (shock horror) and i didnt like them because quite frankly they are crap, so i searched on goggle and found phpbb. My wife took some convincing to change (most people seem afraid of change) but in the end we set her site up using phpbb and have never looked back, or regretted it!
Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon »

Someone who was hosting my website was using phpBB, and I followed the link in the footer to here. At first, I ran both a phpBB board, and a HydroBB board, but that site's since gone to inactivity. Then around a year later i came back here, and hung out in GD. Then I migrated to Styles D&D, then MOD Development, testing various mods. After that, I moved to Support, and have been there since
Drunky

Post by Drunky »

I remember once I had found it when I think it was on version 1. Since I was confused at the time and didn't know anything about BB's I ignored it. I was using EZboard at the time and then when they started their popups a friend of mine upgraded to phpbb which made me check it out and create an account here. Too bad I ignored it before.
Yawner

Post by Yawner »

i took the gaming route.. had a game team that had a forum that was phpBB.. i gradually shifted between the forums, ive now given p gaming and am a full time phpbber.. when i get the time..

the first time i tried to set it up for myself i didnt even realise a database was different to the actual phpbb files.. oh the joys of ignorance.
Alan Kay : "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
Support the OpenDocument Format!
BlackHoleMars

Post by BlackHoleMars »

oh man.. i found it using search.com years ago.. it was overwhelming at first, but it's just great. 8)
Get Some Games Game reviews
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I needed a board, and had zero budget. :-) I looked at a few options, and picked phpBB because of the extremely active MODder community and the active support forum. I felt like if there were that many people involved, it had to be good.

And it was (and still is). 8)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Noxwizard
Support Team Leader
Support Team Leader
Name: Patrick Webster

Post by Noxwizard »

It was on the Fantastico install list. :lol: We ended up switching to Proboards, then back to phpBB, and now we're staying on it.
[Support Template] - [Read Before Posting] - [phpBB Knowledge Base]
Do not contact me for private support, please share the question in our forums.
fpscops.com

Post by fpscops.com »

Yawner wrote: i took the gaming route.. had a game team that had a forum that was phpBB.. i gradually shifted between the forums, ive now given p gaming and am a full time phpbber.. when i get the time..

the first time i tried to set it up for myself i didnt even realise a database was different to the actual phpbb files.. oh the joys of ignorance.

Yeap thats me in a nutshell. :wink:
XeRo^
Name: Tyler

Post by XeRo^ »

Google of course ;)

Return to “General Discussion”