Why make a software open source

Discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users.
Forum rules
General Discussion is a bonus forum for discussion of non-phpBB related topics with other phpBB.com users. All site rules apply.
yangW

Why make a software open source

Post by yangW » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:09 am

I just do not know why the developpers here and on the net make their work open source. I mean why? Do they not want to make money?

Like whats the deal?
Visit Frictionless Market :: Connect Yourself to the Net
Global Warming Activists :: Talk about global warming, learn, and spread the news.

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:59 am

There are many ways to make money with open source.

Yet there is only one way to make absolutely perfect code (with time ofcourse) and that is open source. Because what good does it do you that only nonusers can find solutions? With opensource every user your software has is a potential contributor that brings in fresh wind and great bug fixes.

Open Source ftw!

(look at linux compared to windows for example, which is better? ;) )

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:46 am

Swizec wrote: (look at linux compared to windows for example, which is better? ;) )

lol dont go there...someone is going to get their head chewed off in a flame war. :P (although I like linux better for its stability, even though I dont know how to use it yet).

But the main reason is security and stability.

How do people make money off of it though? Any other way besides ads and shirts and stuff?
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:15 am

Because there are nice people in the world :)

who_cares

Post by who_cares » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:29 am

Anon wrote: Because there are nice people in the world :)

I think that covers it

Swizec
Former Team Member

Post by Swizec » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:04 am

Point taken about flame wars :D

As for money, look at wikipedia, it's very free and whatnot, yet when they started with donations this year... 64k$ in 2 or 3 days... yeah, lovely

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:10 pm

For the power, the money, and the women. 8)
super fun rainbow colour sig

gamepro

Re: Why make a software open source

Post by gamepro » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:58 pm

yangW wrote: I just do not know why the developpers here and on the net make their work open source. I mean why? Do they not want to make money?

Like whats the deal?

Linux makes about 2 billion a year. :roll:

Anon
Former Team Member

Post by Anon » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:48 pm

Pit wrote: For the power, the money, and the women. 8)

I'm sorry to burst your bubble Pit, but the woman don't count if their last names are all jpg 8)

starfoxtj

Post by starfoxtj » Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:07 pm

Anon wrote:
Pit wrote:For the power, the money, and the women. 8)

I'm sorry to burst your bubble Pit, but the woman don't count if their last names are all jpg 8)

Haha thats great. :lol:
Admin ToolKit v2.1a - An Admins most helpful tool for user management. Now Supports Mass User Deletion!
Change User's: names, passwords, emails, active status and avatar/pm permissions.
Ban/Unban Users, change Post and Resync Counts, and promote/demote users to admin.
Completely independent from your phpbb user account settings. No installation required, just upload one file.
User Upload ToolKit Beta - A quick and easy, 30 second-install, attachment mod. Now Supports Dynamic Thumbnails!

hargaisa1

Post by hargaisa1 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:58 am

Anon wrote:

lol now that is funny...

lilybony

Post by lilybony » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:06 am

There were many nice people in the world at first,and they are smart enough to create some wonderful things, then other people who have bussniess mind at the side look at them and think that's stupid to share your things with others, so they begin to earn money from it.
that's the story :wink:
Java server& flash client chat software* * phpbb chat module
Smiles are contagious; be a carrier :)

Ska4Christ

Post by Ska4Christ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:32 am

Anon wrote:

Haha! Both of these posts are hilarious. :D

But yeah, Open Source just seems... nice. 8)
Grace and Peace,
Todd 8-)

“Fight like a man, scriptures in hand!” – The O.C. Supertones

R. U. Serious

Post by R. U. Serious » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:48 pm

Swizec wrote: There are many ways to make money with open source.

Or more specifically: whether you make money or not, is not (directly) related to the licensing of the software.
Yet there is only one way to make absolutely perfect code (with time ofcourse) and that is open source.

I don't know how you measure "absolute perfect code", but if you are talking about quality as in number of bugs in a released product, then what you say is certainly wrong. I would, again, say that this is not related to the licensing of the software.
And it's not even related to the kind of open/closed participation related to the project. It has more to do with the mindset of the devevlopers, and the amount of time (and potentially money) that a project is willing to spend on QA. And QA is not a fun job, you're a lot more likely to get people to do it when they are paid, than when expecting someone to show up and offer to invest his free time in it. (Again not directly related to the licnsing model of the distributed software)

So why is there opensource software? Here is one explanation from free software proponents: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html whis is one part of opensource software (see also: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/categories.html )

You'll find more general answers here:
http://www.opensource.org/advocacy/case_for_hackers.php
http://www.opensource.org/advocacy/case ... siness.php

Quillz
Name: Joseph

Post by Quillz » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:12 pm

How exactly does Linux make $2 billion a year? I know there are some commercial solutions like SuSE and Red Hat, but other than that, is it just donations?

Return to “General Discussion”