[01/12/06] Spam Words

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
76%
Very Good
13%
Good
6%
Fair
No votes
Poor
4%

Total votes: 68

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[01/12/06] Spam Words

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: Spam Words
Author: Joe Belmaati
MOD Description: Define some spam words in the ACP. When someone tries to post a defined spam word their post will not be entered into the database. Instead they will receive an error message. This could be handy for forums with guest posting where spam bots roam free. However, you may also specify that certain forums are exempt from the spam check.

MOD Version: 1.1.3 (Updated 12/01/06)
Tested on phpBB Version: 2.0.21

Download File: spamwords_1.1.3.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 28655 Bytes

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version listed in the topic. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
TerraFrost
Former Team Member

Post by TerraFrost »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes: Lets admins define words that, when used, will get people automatically warned and ultimately banned and will hide posts. Works in much the same fashion as Word Censors do.
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

Thank you very much for validating this MOD :D

Best Wishes,
Joe Belmaati
badboy4ever

Post by badboy4ever »

So is this like the Disallow Word Feature execpt it dosent change it, it will stop the post getting put in the database?

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

Actually there's a host of different options

You can either

a. Block the post and show an error message
b. Allow the post to pass into the database and hide it from the forum
c. Ban the user instantly or after a settable amount of offenses
d. Send a warning PM to the offender
e. Allow certain members to post spam related words
f. Make certain forums exempt from spam word restrictions

.... and a lot more.
badboy4ever

Post by badboy4ever »

What about a feautre where if It has a spam word a admin or mod has to validate it?

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

Already exists. You can choose to flag the offending posts - which will automatically hide them. Admin can then review flagged posts in a separate ACP module and either validate - or delete them entirely.
badboy4ever

Post by badboy4ever »

Oh cool

But like I dont really understand what words I could add???

Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

badboy4ever wrote: Oh cool

But like I dont really understand what words I could add???
Then spam is probably not a problem on your board.
Dev222

Post by Dev222 »

What about users that disguise their spam words like: spam or spare parts for motorbikes?
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

Dev222 wrote: What about users that disguise their spam words like: spam or spare parts for motorbikes?
Thanks for pointing that out. That is something I can definitely implement. I will work on that for a new release. (I thought about doing this when this MOD was in BETA but somehow forgot and never got around to it.).

Sincerely,
Joe
Millennyum

Post by Millennyum »

Wow, this looks like a great mod!
The user panel is extremely extensive and it even provides different messages for PM's, warnings when posting spam words, and warnings when entering signatures with spam words!
Thanks to the log function I can also see if it is working, or if the spammers just didn't happen to pass by during the past time!

Thank you for helping to make our forums a spam-free place. Especially those forums that do not want to require people to register will benefit from this.
Millennyum

Post by Millennyum »

I have just done some testing, and came up with the following:

- If you specify a minimum number of posts in the Exceptions panel to exclude users from the spam word checking, all guests will able to post spam! This is probably because all messages that are posted with a guest account are added up, creating a situation in which the guest account will almost certainly meet the minimum number of posts.
Is it possible to exclude the guest account from being checked for a mimimum number of post?

- I would like to enter warning messages that are longer than 255 characters. Can you implement that?
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

First of all, thanks for the kind words. :D

Now, to your questions:
Millennyum wrote: - If you specify a minimum number of posts in the Exceptions panel to exclude users from the spam word checking, all guests will able to post spam! This is probably because all messages that are posted with a guest account are added up, creating a situation in which the guest account will almost certainly meet the minimum number of posts.
Is it possible to exclude the guest account from being checked for a mimimum number of post?
I have never experienced that. I have it set to 50 and I am not able to post spam words as a guest. Besides, only posts made by registered users are counted.
Millennyum wrote: - I would like to enter warning messages that are longer than 255 characters. Can you implement that?
Theoretically yes - but it would slow down the performance of phpBB when posting a message.
Joe Belmaati

Post by Joe Belmaati »

..hang on - you're right! That's an easily fixable bug. Thanks for spotting it!!

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”