a challenge

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
_The_One_

a challenge

Post by _The_One_ »

hey everyone,

i'm new here but i have been using this forum script for awhile because it not only looks good but it's also runs great.

i was just wondering if anyone knew how to combine the forum database with and a really good photo gallery script. Please check out this website and see what i'm talking about: http://www.4homepages.de/ .

if i have both, my forum and my photo gallery on a website, people would have to register twice and login twice which doesn't sound too good.

Could some smart PHP dude look into this to see if the Image Gallery's database could somehow be intergrated into this one?

really appreciate it

Ben
mitsubishi

Post by mitsubishi »

:lol: Wouldn't be hard when its based on phpBB in the first place (even if they deny it)

But you'd be better off searching here, there are mods to integrate much better gallery scripts.
nexialys

Post by nexialys »

-- the 4images gallery will not be ported to phpBB, it,s a non-gpl tool. btw, you can easily find some good galleries by browsing the Mod Development forum...
-=nexia=-

i'm not god, i'm a nexialist... god is perfect.. i try to make it weak.
AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

As has been stated above, the folks at '4images' (though they deny it) took a very good portion of the Code from phpBB and used it to build their application. In doing so, they removed our own copyright (an illegal action) and they removed the GPL (another illegal action) from the distribution package, then they placed it under another Propritary License (yet a third illegal action). Now, as I said, they have denied doing this, and have "rewriten" the parts of the code that we "called them on", but anybody with two eyes and a brain larger than an ant will be able to look at the two scripts and see -huge- simularities!

As such, you might say they are not in "good standing" with the phpBB Group. (or at least most of us<grin>)

Now, all this said.... nexialys brought up a good point... 4images (as I mentioned above) is not a GPL product. As such, their Propriety License forbids you to take their code and release it in such an "Open-Source" enviorment as phpBB is. And, secondly, it would not be legal to take phpBB's GPL code and place it within the 4images code-code. (it would violate their propritary license)

So, my best advise, would be to go hunt down another photogallery that is released under the GPL.

I would, fully, 100% recommend:

Gallery - http://gallery.sourceforge.net/

Or, use the one being developed by "Roman Malarev", here at phpBB !!
He recently sent me his latest version for a 'pre check', and it's looking pretty good! Might be worth waiting for!

Anyway, I hope this closing up this issue with the pirates over at 4images <grin>
williamohms

Post by williamohms »

Any news on the Gallery Software by "Roman Malarev", I would love to have something that works with PHPbb nicely.
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

Hmm that gallery thing from Roman sounds interesting.

Could maybe we leave our email here or something and we could get notified when it's released?
tony723

Post by tony723 »

AbelaJohnB wrote: As has been stated above, the folks at '4images' (though they deny it) took a very good portion of the Code from phpBB and used it to build their application. In doing so, they removed our own copyright (an illegal action) and they removed the GPL (another illegal action) from the distribution package, then they placed it under another Propritary License (yet a third illegal action). Now, as I said, they have denied doing this, and have "rewriten" the parts of the code that we "called them on", but anybody with two eyes and a brain larger than an ant will be able to look at the two scripts and see -huge- simularities!

As such, you might say they are not in "good standing" with the phpBB Group. (or at least most of us<grin>)

Now, all this said.... nexialys brought up a good point... 4images (as I mentioned above) is not a GPL product. As such, their Propriety License forbids you to take their code and release it in such an "Open-Source" enviorment as phpBB is. And, secondly, it would not be legal to take phpBB's GPL code and place it within the 4images code-code. (it would violate their propritary license)

So, my best advise, would be to go hunt down another photogallery that is released under the GPL.

I would, fully, 100% recommend:

Gallery - http://gallery.sourceforge.net/

Or, use the one being developed by "Roman Malarev", here at phpBB !!
He recently sent me his latest version for a 'pre check', and it's looking pretty good! Might be worth waiting for!

Anyway, I hope this closing up this issue with the pirates over at 4images <grin>

Thanks for your detailed information about the reason why '4images' is so similar to phpbb. Originally I was thinking how to integrate phpbb with 4images but I think now the answer is clear : no way and illegal!

I was also using Gallery from Bharat before. But the problems is that the current version cannot using mysql in backend so the performance is not quite good when I have a large photo gallery (I tried to setup one with 20000+ photos). Another issue is that it require special MOD to integrate with phpbb and no official patch from Gallery is released yet. However I think their 2.0 version with mysql is still promising.

Another question I would like to ask about the 'license' issue : is it legal to take part of the phpbb code to redevelop another photo gallery system which is still under GPL? Of course it assume that permission is granted from phpbb team before.

Tony from Hong Kong
http://www.tonyleung.com
AbelaJohnB
Former Team Member

Post by AbelaJohnB »

tony723 wrote: I was also using Gallery from Bharat before. But the problems is that the current version cannot using mysql in backend so the performance is not quite good when I have a large photo gallery (I tried to setup one with 20000+ photos). Another issue is that it require special MOD to integrate with phpbb and no official patch from Gallery is released yet. However I think their 2.0 version with mysql is still promising.

Another question I would like to ask about the 'license' issue : is it legal to take part of the phpbb code to redevelop another photo gallery system which is still under GPL? Of course it assume that permission is granted from phpbb team before.

Tony from Hong Kong
http://www.tonyleung.com

First, I'll address the 'Gallery' issue. There is someone who is keeping a MOD up-to-date to be able to interface phpBB and Gallery. Though it is not listed at phpBB, nor Approved by phpBB, it does exist.

To answer your question about forking phpBB Code:

It is legal to take code from phpBB, but you must first consider that the development of such project must be GPL'ed.

Hope this answers your question.
thinkfire

Post by thinkfire »

I have to disagree, I dont like gallery, its very rough

4images kicks ass though, its sooooo feature rich and easy to use, templates are easy to find for them too.

Maybe you guys should team up if you can get them to admit they are using portions of your code and and to change over to the GPL license.
cinestar

Post by cinestar »

Im inclined to agree. I love 4images, and if it uses the phpbb code it shouldnt be so damn hard to come up with an integration script...

Ultimately in the US you are inocent until provent guilty and I dont believe the guys here at PHPBB have made much of a case in this reguard. I would like to see some formal charges be made in this reguard against 4images, if indeed they have stolen code and are are using it for personal finacial gain. And unless the peple here at PHPBB take legal action then im inclined to believe that there is no reason to deny support for 4images integration with phpbb.

I have been waiting for a good solution for this dilema for over a year now and it seem that even now there isn't really anything being done about this therefore there is no case, and support for 4images should be allowed.

And no I am not affiliated in anyway with 4images.
LifeIsPain
Former Team Member

Post by LifeIsPain »

4images denies, we hold this. There are code snippets that are too similar to be just coincidences, and they happen all over. As this is not the place to discuss this, I kindly ask that you drop it now while you are still not ahead.

And because Troll feeding is bad, this topic is locked.
LifeIsPain - one who needs to be smackedLife is pain, highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Requests”