[2.0.20] phpBB GTalk (Google Talk) Support

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
64%
Very Good
27%
Good
No votes
Fair
9%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 11

NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Have you done any research to figure out how to launch Google Talk by clicking on the GTalk icon like we can do with AIM? With AIM, the command is aim:goim. What would it be for Google Talk???

I think clicking on an icon to launch the Google Talk program would be a lot better than just placing the text id in the Profile...

:?:
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

NightriderXP wrote: Have you done any research to figure out how to launch Google Talk by clicking on the GTalk icon [...]

I have, as GTalk uses the Jabber protocol my first assumption was that Google would implement the XMPP:// URI as some other Jabber clients do but for whatever reason they chose not to implement this (as they chose not to implement several other Jabber features). However, if this is fixed in future revisions of the GTalk client i'll support it.

ptlis
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.....my life is my own.
NightriderXP

Post by NightriderXP »

Jeez, I was hoping there would be an easy fix for this. It seems that the MSN option has the same problem. I will be watching and hoping that you find a good option for launching GTalk from the Profile and View Topic pages...

Thanks for the quick response, ptlis...

:lol:
sakura-pop

Post by sakura-pop »

Thank you so mush....... :lol: :D
I like this Mod. :oops: :wink:

http://www.sakurasoushi.com/SakuraGumi
Last edited by sakura-pop on Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kvnband

Post by kvnband »

OK, I've got this installed, but on viewtopic, the google talk button is not visible. I have made the changes in the viewtopic template, viewtopic.php, and the cfg file, yet the button isn't showing up when google talk is set in the profile. Can anyone help me out?
kvnband

Post by kvnband »

bump :-/
cmi

Post by cmi »

To anybody who uses this mod: Is it also useable for jabber-users? You see me a bit confused about the gtalk- and jabber-mod. gtalk is the newer one, but no idea if I can use it for jabber AND gtalk. :?
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

cmi wrote: To anybody who uses this mod: Is it also useable for jabber-users? You see me a bit confused about the gtalk- and jabber-mod. gtalk is the newer one, but no idea if I can use it for jabber AND gtalk. :?

If you want Jabber support then I suggest you use my Jabber modification. If you want GTalk support then use this modification. If you want support for both Jabber and GTalk these modifications can be used concurrently on the same phpBB installation.

ptlis
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.....my life is my own.
cmi

Post by cmi »

alright, thanks for your reply. found your jabber-mod but wasn't sure if the gtalk-mod is just an evolution of the jabber-mod.
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

cmi wrote: alright, thanks for your reply. found your jabber-mod but wasn't sure if the gtalk-mod is just an evolution of the jabber-mod.

In a sense it is, my GTalk and Jabber MODs share a single codebase (as does, to a large extent, churchyard's Tlen MOD) with simply a regexp run to switch instances of jabber to gtalk within the source
Peniwize

Post by Peniwize »

Ok, I installed this mod and the button shows fine. But in the profile view and during registration it doesn't list GOOGLE TALK or anything, it just has ":" in the space thus making users have no clue what to put there.

Any help?
MHobbit
Former Team Member

Post by MHobbit »

Peniwize wrote: Ok, I installed this mod and the button shows fine. But in the profile view and during registration it doesn't list GOOGLE TALK or anything, it just has ":" in the space thus making users have no clue what to put there.

Any help?

Most likely, you neglected to completely install the MOD; make sure you added the proper language entries (in most cases, lang_main.php, unless this MOD has its own lang_*.php file).
Former phpBB MOD Team member
No private support is offered.
"There’s too many things to get done, and I’m running out of days..."
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

As MennoniteHobbit has already explained, this is almost certainly due to this modification being incorrectly or incompletely installed, first thing to check is the lang_main.php file, after the language element for MSN there should be an element in the array for gtalk:

Code: Select all

$lang['GTALK'] = 'Google Talk';
The other thing to check would be that the instructions for changes to be made to the usercp_viewprofile.php file were followed to the letter. The specific part of the mod template that deals with this is as follows:

#
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------------
#
includes/usercp_viewprofile.php
#
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------------
#
$msn = $msn_img;
#
#-----[ AFTER, ADD ]------------------------------------------
#
$gtalk_img = ( $profiledata['user_gtalk'] ) ? $profiledata['user_gtalk'] : ' ';
$gtalk = $gtalk_img;
#
#
'MSN' => $msn,
#
#
'GTALK_IMG' => $gtalk_img,
'GTALK' => $gtalk,
#
#
'L_MESSENGER' => $lang['MSNM'],
#
#
'L_GTALK' => $lang['GTALK'],
Lobo_UU

Post by Lobo_UU »

Critical Error

FIND FAILED: In file [includes/usercp_register.php] could not find:

$strip_var_list = array('username' => 'username', 'email' => 'email',

MOD script line #165 :: FAQ :: Report

Wow.. am I lost or what? Anyone else get this error message?
ptlis

Post by ptlis »

Yeah, this problem appears to have been caused by a change in the core codebase of phpBB since .17:
phpBB 2.0.17 wrote:

$strip_var_list = array('username' => 'username', 'email' => 'email', 'icq' => 'icq', 'aim' => 'aim', 'msn' => 'msn', 'yim' => 'yim', 'website' => 'website', 'location' => 'location', 'occupation' => 'occupation', 'interests' => 'interests');

phpBB 2.0.19 wrote:

$strip_var_list = array('email' => 'email', 'icq' => 'icq', 'aim' => 'aim', 'msn' => 'msn', 'yim' => 'yim', 'website' => 'website', 'location' => 'location', 'occupation' => 'occupation', 'interests' => 'interests', 'confirm_code' => 'confirm_code');

To get the MOD to work with easyMOD, make the following changes to the mod file and run easyMOD again:

Find:

$strip_var_list = array('username' => 'username', 'email' => 'email',
Replace with:

$strip_var_list = array('email' => 'email'
I'll be releasing an updated version of the MOD in the next week or so, as soon as i've had a chance to fully test it against the 2.0.19 release so if you have any problems i'd appreciate them being reported here.

ptlis

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”