[2.0.19] BoardTracker Topic Tags Mod

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
25%
Very Good
25%
Good
25%
Fair
25%
Poor
No votes

Total votes: 4

Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot
Extensions Robot

[2.0.19] BoardTracker Topic Tags Mod

Post by Extensions Robot »

MOD Name: BoardTracker Topic Tags Mod
Author: BoardTracker
MOD Description: Add a thread tagging system linked to global or site specific tag search on boardtracker. Topic tags are the forum equivalent of article tags often seen on blogs linking to tag search on flickr, technorati, del.icio.us etc.

MOD Version: 1.0.1

Download File: BT_Tags_phpBB-1.0.1.zip
mods overview page: View
File Size: 3555 Bytes

Security Score: 0

Support for this MOD needs to be asked within this topic. The phpBB Teams are not responsible or required to give anyone support for this MOD. By installing this MOD, the phpBB Support Team or phpBB MODifications Team may not be able to provide support.

This MOD has only been tested by the phpBB MOD Team with the phpBB version in the topic title. It may not work in any other versions of phpBB.
Last edited by Extensions Robot on Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
(this is a non-active account manager for the phpBB Extension Customisations Team)
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

MOD Validated/Released

Notes:
Adds a topic tagging system to phpBB.
BoardTracker

Post by BoardTracker »

***** NEW VERSION AVAILABLE *****

MANY changes and improvements!

See this topic for full details, demo and download links..

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... 6&t=555087

Some more details on the tagging mod..

This mod allows your users to 'tag' topics when posting (or editing) threads in the same way that bloggers tag their posts/articles. Tags are then displayed with the topic to all viewers.. you can of course place the tags anywhere you want on the page by editing the template.

Tags are linked to the tag search system on boardtracker, which is a search engine specifically for forums, and matching results from all boards currently indexed will be displayed by default.

You can futher modify the search output to show results only from your board/forums by using the board id issued by boardtracker - your board of course needs to be indexed by boardtracker in this case but for the default global search your board does not need to be indexed.

You can also specify multiple boards to include in your tag search allowing you to create 'tag rings' to display results from all your boards if you have more than one, or you can arrange with other board owners to include each others boards in the tag search thereby creating a targeted traffic trading network for your board.

Some examples..

New topic form: http://forums.boardtracker.com/posting. ... wtopic&f=5

Tagged topic: http://forums.boardtracker.com/viewtopic.php?t=7

Try posting/tagging test threads here: http://forums.boardtracker.com/viewforum.php?f=5

Click the tags to see the search in action.

Here's an example of site specific tag search: http://www.boardtracker.com/tag/dvd/305

Here is an example of a multi-board tag search: http://www.boardtracker.com/tag/apple/290,300,52

*NEW* Additional feature is now available - tag clouds! Just paste a single line of code onto any page on your board (or any other site) and see custom tag clouds for your board or all boards in boardtracker. Full details are here..

http://blog.boardtracker.com/viewtopic.php?t=131

Boards can be just as "web2.0" as blogs.. ;)
Last edited by BoardTracker on Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Shanana

Post by Shanana »

Interesting mod!
chesster

Post by chesster »

one question: How is this different from users simply having these keywords in their posts?

For example, if someone has the word "dvd" in his post, then there's no reason to tag the post with the keyword "dvd" right? Because the search -- apparently -- would treat the two scenarios identically the same.

If this is true, then this Mod is useful only in cases where the tags do not appear in the post body.
BoardTracker

Post by BoardTracker »

Tags in this case are defined in a specific way which is pretty much a standard these days used by quite a few search engines. You could place such tags anywhere on the page, even within the message body, if the format is kept the same but generally tags are listed above or below a message for clarity since users can then easily find/click them to view related threads.

Normal text/words within the body of a message are not tags and would only be indexed by search engine spiders that actually take the whole message or page and then provide a full text search on that text. BoardTracker does both.

The reasons for tags are basically to allow your users to create a "folksonomy" which you can think of like a very loose community defined category system. Once you have a few tags defined you can add other widgets such as tag clouds which provides your users with more ways to find what they want, or what is currently a hot topic, and I think in general enhances the experience for them. Plus by linking to global tag search (which is optional) rather than restricting to a single site, many connections can be made between multiple boards, much in the way that bloggers all link to each other, which overall will increase traffic and membership.

Yahoo is probably the biggest tag user/backer at the moment since they own flickr and delicious and maybe others but there are loads of other search engines, social networks and all sorts of "web 2.0" things that rely on tags these days.
Heart106.2

Post by Heart106.2 »

I am a little bit LOST
Check out my COOL and FREE Forum @ http://teensforum.co.nr Sign up 4 FREE no one will get banned unless they break the rules ! Thata a promise.
BoardTracker

Post by BoardTracker »

Heart106.2 wrote: I am a little bit LOST

Basically tags are like categories that your users create when they post a new thread. There is no limit on what or how many tags/categories they can create so it is a very flexible system. Users can then find other threads with a matching tag on your board or any other board that uses tags.
chesster

Post by chesster »

I'm familiar with taxonomy systems, such as Drupal's. But here, based on what I see, I don't think it's quite the same. In Drupal's for example, you can tag posts with tags. And when people click on a tag, only those posts that are tagged with the keywords show up. This is very specific and is different from simply showing all posts having those keywords, which could pull up posts having nothing to do with the tags at all, or not as intended by the users (because they aren't tagged with the keywords).

If clicking on the tags simply results in a search for those keywords, then the act of someone tagging his post is simply that very act of tagging itself -- whereas I think the true power of tags is about classifying your data.
BoardTracker

Post by BoardTracker »

Actually thats exactly what it is, what you see now with tag search on BoardTracker is a temporary full text search since the tags mod is new and we don't want to show empty results pages.

Very shortly (like today I think) we will switch over to the real tag search. We also just rolled out more tagging functionality on boardtracker which should speed up the process of tagging all those millions of threads out there! :D
chesster wrote: I'm familiar with taxonomy systems, such as Drupal's. But here, based on what I see, I don't think it's quite the same. In Drupal's for example, you can tag posts with tags. And when people click on a tag, only those posts that are tagged with the keywords show up. This is very specific and is different from simply showing all posts having those keywords, which could pull up posts having nothing to do with the tags at all, or not as intended by the users (because they aren't tagged with the keywords).

If clicking on the tags simply results in a search for those keywords, then the act of someone tagging his post is simply that very act of tagging itself -- whereas I think the true power of tags is about classifying your data.
staticfiends

not working for me....

Post by staticfiends »

greetings,

I installed this today, but can't get it to work. Every time I input the tags & submit the post they don't show up on viewtopic and disapear when I go back and try to edit the post.

I did the sql, made the changes, and uploaded the files...but I get nothing...maybe I missed something but I can't find it...

also, I left the $BoardID blank...just in case that matters...

thanks 8)
BoardTracker

Post by BoardTracker »

Sounds like the data is not being inserted in the db at all.. what version of phpbb are you using?

Check that the topic_tags field exists in the phpbb_topics table first. If it does check if any tag data is saved there when you post a new (or edited) topic.

If it exists and no data is saved then check the posting.php file contains the $topic_tags additions in the 'prepare_post' and 'submit_post' lines.

Also check includes/functions_post.php contains &$topic_tags in the prepare_post and submit_post lines.

If you still can't find the problem you can email me (support@bt..) your version of posting.php and functions_post.php and I will check them against mine. I've installed the mod on 3 boards so far with no problems so I am guessing its just a matter of accidentally skipping an installation step or a typo or possibly a conflict with another mod but will have to see the files to know for sure.
staticfiends

Post by staticfiends »

okay...cool...

for some reason the changes I made in functions_post.php didn't get saved...so that was the problem 8)

is there a way you can make the tags open up in a _blank page? also, will my boards tags automaticly get included in, or do I have to submit my info for that to take place..because at the moment, mine aren't showing up on the tag match page.

thanks man
BoardTracker

Post by BoardTracker »

To make it open in a new window just open viewtopic.php and look for this line..

$tags .= "<a href=\"$tagurl" . "/$word/" . "$BoardID\" rel=\"tag\">$word</a> ";

and after "$BoardID\" insert..

target=\"_blank\"

You need to submit your board to boardtracker to have the threads/tags indexed. Until then the tag search can show global tag results for all boards or you can specifiy any single or group of boards to show.
staticfiends

Post by staticfiends »

lol...I should have known how to add the _blank on my own...oh well :P

I noticed a problem that when a post gets edited the tags get removed...

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”