[DEV] Forum monitoring desktop tool

A place for MOD Authors to post and receive feedback on MODs still in development. No MODs within this forum should be used within a live environment! No new topics are allowed in this forum.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

IMPORTANT: MOD Development Forum rules

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.
lmcbmai

[DEV] Forum monitoring desktop tool

Post by lmcbmai »

Hi all,

First of all, whatever is described below is not a "pure" MOD. I'm placing this posting here just because I think this is the most relevant forum for it. Please advise if it should be moved to different location.

I created Windows application ForumStatus that places the icon into system tray and monitors the following parameters of your phpBB forum:

- Database state (up or down)
- Number of topics
- Number of posts
- Number of users
- Numbers of Active users
- Number of votes

On change of any of them (unless disabled via settings) you will be notified by popup balloon and updated color of tray icon. Backend support contains only one php file that accesses your database and generates plain text input file for ForumStatus.

Here are 2 snapshots of the tool
1) popup balloon

2) Settings window

For more details, download link and php file source please visit http://www.neocom.ca/forum/index.php and click on forum 'ForumStatus'.

Thanks.
Regards,
///Boris
Last edited by lmcbmai on Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Rizzn.

Post by Rizzn. »

You should probably read the rules topic and reformat your post before one of the mods decides to lock it down. It looks like an interesting application, but I'd want a good deal more information before ever using a program that accesses my database.
lmcbmai

Post by lmcbmai »

Thanks for advise.

My application does not access any database. You just add php file into your forum directory that queries the database and generates plain text output with all monitored values which is then retreived by ForumStatus. You can even rename your php file the way you like if you want to be the solo user of the tool on your forum. Check php source code here http://www.neocom.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?t=273
abramelin

Post by abramelin »

This is fantastic! thanks very much for this. but i ve a request for you.Can you make a this type of tool that monitors the winamp and shows the song in posting body what the music is the user is listening at the moment.
lmcbmai

Post by lmcbmai »

Hi abramelin,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately I am not very familiar with the way winamps songs appear in the posting bodies. Most likely adding this feature will require querying post_text field of phpbb_post_text table which is not indexed. This will put extra load on database that can end up slowing down the regular access to the forums. I don't think the outcome will worth it.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Hello,

Please edit your topic title with a prefix as outlined in MOD Development forum rules, section 3.a. This will allow people to see the development status of your MOD at a glance.

Thank you,
The phpBB MOD Team
Systems Engineering
lmcbmai

Post by lmcbmai »

I just added 2 snapshots to my first post in this thread.
christhatsme

Post by christhatsme »

only one thing, image is horrible....

and can you make the source avaible.
All MOD downloads should be back now - Sorry for that and serious lack of support! - If anyone wants to take over or help with any of my MODs the offer would be apreciated as I have little time for phpBB Modding recently!

Again very sorry for not supporting these MODs recently.
lmcbmai

Post by lmcbmai »

Not sure which image you don't like. If you are talking about the icon in the tray - that was the best I could create as Windows supports only 16 color icons in the system tray (at least Win2000 that I'm using).

Php code is open, check the link above. If you are interested in Delphi code there is not much in it. It is just about periodic download of the page generated by php file, parsing the fields and comparing them to earlier "measured" values that are stored in Registry. Unfortunatelly I cannot provide you with Delphi source. Neverthless I created ForumStatus from A to Z, the rights on Delphi source do not fully belong to me.
Last edited by lmcbmai on Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

I have disabled BalloonTipps (in the registry), and now i can't see it... :?
lmcbmai

Post by lmcbmai »

You will still see the change in the color of the icon...

Could you please tell me where exactly you disabled Balloon Tips in registry and which version of Windows do you have? I am planning to replace default Windows balloon tip with another, custom made due to the main limitation of maximum 256 characters length of the text it can show. I would then test different solution with you settings.
igorw
Former Team Member
Name: Igor Wiedler

Post by igorw »

Windows XP Home Edition

Code: Select all

1) Go to Start menu > Run > and type regedit and click OK.
2) Find following address: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced
3) In left panel select and right click on Advanced key, create a new DWORD and name “EnableBalloonTips”.
4) Double click on new DWORD and change value to “0” (Hexadecimal).
5) Exit from Registry Editor and restart your Computer.
Sometimes it's required to create the key yourself :)
lmcbmai

Post by lmcbmai »

Yes, I managed to reproduce this but only under XP. Windows 2000 still keeps showing the balloon even with this added registry key.
With XP I also mentioned that it supports more colors in the tray icons, thus I will replace the application icon with the better looking one :D

Thanks.
Regards,
///Boris
vrflyer

Post by vrflyer »

I get no bubble info here (all info filled in properly + php file on root & REG already exists) - WinXP Pro SP2
Always Under Construction !
Rapid Dr3am

Post by Rapid Dr3am »

Great idea, been waiting for this for a long time.

My suggestion is to add a latest topic feature. I've installed it. ;)

Return to “[2.0.x] MODs in Development”