Restoring a database?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ohlookitspaul

Restoring a database?

Post by ohlookitspaul »

I recently had to reinstall my forum. I've got it all set except I need to restore the database so I can get all my posts/members back. It doesn't seem to be working though, because when I hit "Start restore" and let it go (it says it'll take a little while), after a few minutes, the page will say "The connection was reset" (I use Firefox). I tried it using IE because I think Firefox has that thing where if it sits still too long trying to process something, it aborts it, but it's not working in IE either. I hit start restore, it says it's opening whatever page, and the status bar at the bottom is increasing... but then after a few minutes, it doesn't work. "The page cannot be displayed"

Can anyone help? I desperately need to restore my database! Thanks!
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

if you don;t know this ask your host. you are probably going over the maximum file limit configured in the host's configuration files. youll need to use BigDump in phpMyadmin or something of the sort :) or trying to break the file down into smaller parts
ohlookitspaul

Post by ohlookitspaul »

Noobarmy wrote: if you don;t know this ask your host. you are probably going over the maximum file limit configured in the host's configuration files. youll need to use BigDump in phpMyadmin or something of the sort :) or trying to break the file down into smaller parts

I'll try using bigdump. I don't have phpMyadmin, I guess I will have to install that.

How could I break it down into smaller parts and still restore the database though? I don't see how I could do that.
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

maybe that only works in phpMyadmin. lol. im a noob man wat dya expect.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

Noobarmy wrote: maybe that only works in phpMyadmin. lol. im a noob man wat dya expect.

At this point, just for you to answer if an only if you know what's going on :roll:

ohlookitspaul, I have written an article that explains how to use bigdump: Knowledge Base - Restoring a database backup
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
ohlookitspaul

Post by ohlookitspaul »

Marshalrusty wrote:
Noobarmy wrote:maybe that only works in phpMyadmin. lol. im a noob man wat dya expect.

At this point, just for you to answer if an only if you know what's going on :roll:

ohlookitspaul, I have written an article that explains how to use bigdump: Knowledge Base - Restoring a database backup

I just did that but about 8 or so minutes into it, I got this message.

Database connection failed due to Lost connection to MySQL server during query

Edit the database settings in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/hatesomethingbeautiful.com/httpdocs/chat/restore/bigdump.php or contact your database provider

Start from the beginning (DROP the old tables before restarting)

What should I do? What database settings is it asking me to edit, and which tables do I drop? I mean, I have 34 tables in that database, do I drop all of them?
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

8 minutes? How large is the backup?

The connection was dropped, so the script stopped running. You can try again by clicking on 'Start from the beginning (DROP the old tables before restarting)'. If it happens again, you may need to contact your host and ask them to restore the backup for you.

ohlookitspaul

Post by ohlookitspaul »

Marshalrusty wrote: 8 minutes? How large is the backup?

The connection was dropped, so the script stopped running. You can try again by clicking on 'Start from the beginning (DROP the old tables before restarting)'. If it happens again, you may need to contact your host and ask them to restore the backup for you.

It's a 27 MB sql file.

What old tables do I drop?
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

ohlookitspaul wrote: It's a 27 MB sql file.

You don't have to drop anything. Bigdump will drop the tables automatically if you click 'Start from the beginning (DROP the old tables before restarting)'

ohlookitspaul

Post by ohlookitspaul »

Marshalrusty wrote:
ohlookitspaul wrote:It's a 27 MB sql file.

You don't have to drop anything. Bigdump will drop the tables automatically if you click 'Start from the beginning (DROP the old tables before restarting)'

It worked :D For some reason it just took forever the first time. Thanks a lot!!
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Marshalrusty »

Glad you got it working :)

You're very welcome.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”