First Impressions

Do not post support requests, bug reports or feature requests. Discuss phpBB here. Non-phpBB related discussion goes in General Discussion!
Suggested Hosts
Sal Collaziano

My two cents...

Post by Sal Collaziano » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:35 pm

I've been using message boards since the mid 80s. Yes, BBSes.. I've used them all from both sides of the coin - user and admin. I run many, many, many vBulletins, Invision Boards and phpBBs. I'm a certified message board maniac.

Now to make a long story short.. I'm VERY impressed with phpBB3b1.. I LOVE the new AdminCP. Yes, it's more complicated than it used to be - and there's a few bugs that will be worked out before going GOLD - but it's a vast improvement over the old Admin CP. You simply cannot stay as simple as phpBB2 was and compete...

phpBB can still remain simple, fast-loading and easy to use. There are features that the "top" message boards are using (IPB, vB) that are simply there to compete with one another. It's like the new Lexus LS with an 8 speed automatic transmission. Who needs 8 gears? Lexus just wanted to top the Mercedes S-Class which has 7...

Let's all be honest.. At this point in the game, phpBB3 is worthy of charging a fee for use. It's great as a beta and will only get better when it goes Gold. And I'm really excited to see the new style...

The only thing I see that's important (to me) that vBulletin and Invision Board have are the ability to upgrade accounts through PayPal payments. And of course, when the subscription runs out, the accounts are downgraded back to normal. Other than that, I really don't see any major reason to use any other message board.
Sal Collaziano

Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:36 pm

I do like AJAX and multi-quoting but I won't go into that :oops:

bogie

Post by bogie » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:42 pm

I just installed the beta version for testing and I have to give the phpBB3 development team a high five. The beta is awesome and I've only had the last half hour to play with it.

I moved my board to SMF awhile back because the lack of features that should be default with any board (subforums, ect). Yeah I know that there are mods but mods take time and has never been a cakewalk with phpBB. When phpBB3 is finalized and released I will be moving my forums back to phpBB3.

Great job guys!

Neverbirth

Post by Neverbirth » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:08 pm

I manage a few phpBB2 boards, and moderate a couple ones using vBulletin. I've added tons of mods for phpBB2 and even made some own modifications and templates.

After trying the first beta of phpBB3 I must say that I find it to be rather impressive, even if it's a bit more complex due to all the new features it has. It's really a shame that all the phpBB2 mods and styles won't be compatible with this new version, and in my main forum I have tons of mods and templates... but it's something we already knew beforehand.

DeadEye686

Post by DeadEye686 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:25 pm

Stallyon wrote: I do like AJAX and multi-quoting but I won't go into that :oops:

When you get to the reply page, click the Quote button for whatever posts you want to quote in the Topic Review pane.

Stallyon
Name: Chris Bell

Post by Stallyon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:25 pm

I am sure the MOD devs are currently working on phpBB3 versions of their MODs :)

Viper007Bond

Post by Viper007Bond » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:35 pm

I frickin' love it! It's really improved since the last time I tried it a couple months ago.

I really can't wait until RC1 or whenever the upgrader comes out so that I can use it in a live environment (I cannot wait to get rid of 2.x soon enough! :lol:). So looking forward to having all the great new features on the forum I run. :)

However, the one thing that it's really a shame is missing is a quick reply box. You'd think something like that would be standard. :(
Stallyon wrote: I do like AJAX and multi-quoting but I won't go into that :oops:

It's a bad idea IMO to bundle it because not all people want it. I mean, I guess it could be toggled, but still.

However, from what I hear, an AJAX plugin/mod is already planned. :)
- Viper007Bond

Neverbirth

Post by Neverbirth » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:48 pm

Stallyon wrote: I am sure the MOD devs are currently working on phpBB3 versions of their MODs :)

Well, some great MODs and templates out there are abandoned, for example the template bluetabs, and the Last Visit MOD by Niels (I love it because of the info it provides about how many users, including guests, have visited the forum each day).

agent00shoe

Post by agent00shoe » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:47 pm

The new version is ok. It could use more cowbell, but maybe that's just me.

cooleo100d

Post by cooleo100d » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:14 pm

I find it really cool that people who use all the big forum software are saying that phpBB3 is as good, if not better than the competition.

It really shows how good it is.

KenzieGIRL

Post by KenzieGIRL » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:51 pm

It can be rather intimidating at first - esp. if you're used to the simplicity of phpBB 2.

I'm having fun with it though. It has some really great features :)

onigumo

Post by onigumo » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:57 pm

KenzieGIRL wrote: It can be rather intimidating at first - esp. if you're used to the simplicity of phpBB 2.

Same for me, specifically and ACP. But I'm reading the guide and I'll be practicing using it, so it won't be long until I get used to it.
I write articles on community building
@ The Infinity Program.

Pokesomi

Post by Pokesomi » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:34 pm

i am running a live test environent and so far i have done 3 test signups, and one never arrived. dont know if anyone has seen that but i know it will get fixed.

M_A_D

Post by M_A_D » Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:44 pm

The more I use the new phpBB3 forums the more I like them. :lol:

James78

Post by James78 » Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:57 pm

Like many people, I saw phpbb3 gradually grow via the cvs versions I installed every so often. Even though I saw a early example of the features via cvs, I've never seen a version that worked this well and I must say that I'm very impressed with all the features able to be turned on/off and changed. I can't wait to scrap phpbb2 when the full release of phpbb3 comes out and keep up all the good work on the program (@ the developers)! I was thinking that I should be able to make someone else a admin of the forum, but be able to restrict exactly what they can use/play with in the ACP as to not give then way too much control of everything, but give them more control than moderators have (but again, keep their control alot lower than mine). Anyways, I played around with the features and found out not only can I do this, but it works very efficiently! I never expected a feature that I was dreaming of to be in the package already and all I had to do was discover it! In short, phpbb3 rocks and will sweep the web when the full release comes out!!

Edit: one of the things I don't like (and it's actually the only thing I don't like) is that the images (reply, newtopic, etc.) don't look very good in my opinion, but that's easily fixable so I don't care. However, they should have a quick-reply box because it'd be useful, but that can be a MOD also. What I really love about phpbb3 is that you can use different styles on a per forum basis and that way you can give each forum a certain personality and special images made for that forum only! I know that users will be in awe of that feature and will love it!

Return to “phpBB Discussion”