Sub forums?

Get help with installation and running phpBB 3.0.x here. Please do not post bug reports, feature requests, or MOD-related questions here.
Ideas Centre
Forum rules
END OF SUPPORT: 1 January 2017 (announcement)
kyle1745

Sub forums?

Post by kyle1745 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:45 pm

I just installed the beta to mess around with it a bit, and wow looks like some very nice features.

One thing that seems odd is you can not see the sub forums from the main page. Thats kind of annoying as it would be nice to link directly to them either after the section name or etc.

If there is a setting for them let me know as with all the changes im sure I could have over looked it.

merqury07

Post by merqury07 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:56 pm

Check the settings of your subforum, there's an option that says

List Forum On Index
Displays a link to this forum under the root parent forum on the index.

kmax

Post by kmax » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:24 pm

Okay, I really must be blind as I had the same question as kyle and even with merqury07's answer I am not finding the setting that he mentions. Going into the Administration Panel and then to Manage Forums and going to edit the forum I want to show and there is no option listed called "List Forum On Index". Is there some other setting that has to be on to get this to show up or am I just looking in the wrong place? Thanks for any help.

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Tue Jul 11, 2006 6:59 pm

ACP -> Manage Forums -> Next to the forum in question click the Edit(Image) button.

Nothing Sound

Post by Nothing Sound » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:22 pm

Drexion wrote: ACP -> Manage Forums -> Next to the forum in question click the Edit(Image) button.

I don't have that option

kmax

Post by kmax » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:27 pm

That is exactly where I expected to find it, however it was not there.

I found the reason for that option not being available, the parent forum was set to type "Forum" rather than type "Category". Apparently if the parent is an actual Forum, then the subforums cannot be listed on the index.

Nothing Sound

Post by Nothing Sound » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:46 am

kmax wrote: That is exactly where I expected to find it, however it was not there.

I found the reason for that option not being available, the parent forum was set to type "Forum" rather than type "Category". Apparently if the parent is an actual Forum, then the subforums cannot be listed on the index.

From what I can tell, in order to have the sub forum indexed on the front page you need to first make the parent forum a category and then go in and check off the index option on the sub forum. You then have to go back in and make the parent forum a forum again or else no one can post in the parent forum because it's a category.

Once you make the parent forum a forum again the index option once again disappears from the sub forum edit page. If you want to remove the sub forum from the index page you must once again make the parent forum a category remove the index option from the sub and then make the parent a forum again.

Sounds ridiculous, but that's what I'm getting.

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:04 am

The option shows up for me, regardless if the parent is a forum or a category. It shows up for all my fora, I'm not sure atm why it doesn't show for you.

Nothing Sound

Post by Nothing Sound » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:51 am

Drexion wrote: The option shows up for me, regardless if the parent is a forum or a category. It shows up for all my fora, I'm not sure atm why it doesn't show for you.

As you can see by the image I posted the option is definately not there unless I do what I stated in my previous post.

I wonder if there's an explanation for this or am I doing something wrong.

matthewf

Post by matthewf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:26 pm

I have tested this myself, @Nothing Sound your explanation is exactly what I am having, unless the first forum is a category then others in that category has the option, as soon as I make the cateogre a forum, the option dissapaears

OS Linux
PHP version 4.4.2
Mysql version 4.1.x

I wonder if is this could be a server or PHP setting issue, if Drexion manages to see it all the time?
Last edited by matthewf on Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nothing Sound

Post by Nothing Sound » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:34 pm

matthewf wrote: I have tested this myself, @Nothing Sound your explanation is exactly what I am having, unless the first forum is a category then others in that category has the option, as soon as I make the cateogre a forum, the option dissapaears

PHP version 4.4.2
Mysql version 4.1.x

I wonder if is this could be a server or PHP setting issue, if Drexion manages to see it all the time?

My info:

PHP version 4.4.1
MySQL - 4.0.16

matthewf

Post by matthewf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:55 pm

@Drexion what's yours

PS included my OS, also its a apache based

ToonArmy
Former Team Member
Name: Chris Smith

Post by ToonArmy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Works fine for me

Linux (Debian)
Apache/2.0.55
PHP/5.1.4-0.1
MySQL 5.0.22

Its worth noting, the option only shows for forums that are sub forums.
Chris SmithGitHub

starware

Post by starware » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:24 pm

I would try making the permissions for the forum so that all users can view. or giving users permissions to view I dont know either way.

matthewf

Post by matthewf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:26 pm

bangs head against wall for NOT testing sub forums, I was only testing first and second level forums not third level as soon as I did, the option was there, there is no problem here nothing to see, move along now :D

Return to “[3.0.x] Support Forum”