[2.0.20] registration disable website signature

All new MODs released in our MOD Database will be announced in here. All support for released MODs needs to take place in here. No new MODs will be accepted into the MOD Database for phpBB2
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

On February 1, 2009 this forum will be set to read only as part of retiring of phpBB2.

Rating:

Excellent!
65%
Very Good
12%
Good
8%
Fair
6%
Poor
8%

Total votes: 49

sooj

Post by sooj »

I guess that must be the one then. Sorry about that. I installed several mods and since I can't see the files I'm not sure what is there anymore.
Daniel Exe

Post by Daniel Exe »

A great MODification. I used this in combination with a couple other Spam preventing changes, and I'm hoping that the threat of constant waves of bots regestering on my sites will diminish. Once again, thanks for coming up with this great MOD; I'm sure many will appreciate it. :wink:
-Daniel
My phpBB3 styles: 610nm, Cerulean, CoDFaction, DarkFantasy, GuildWarsAlliance, twilightBB
http://www.gamexe.net
Kipperman

Post by Kipperman »

I like this mod - it has cut down the spam in those fields by more than 50%.
I am still getting some though which I don't understand. As a test I have gone into my site as a guest and registered and the affected fields are NOT present!
How then can the spammers still manage to put a WWW and signature in I wonder? :? :roll:
I'm confused dot com :!:
EXreaction
Former Team Member
Name: Nathan

Post by EXreaction »

Kipperman wrote: I like this mod - it has cut down the spam in those fields by more than 50%.
I am still getting some though which I don't understand. As a test I have gone into my site as a guest and registered and the affected fields are NOT present!
How then can the spammers still manage to put a WWW and signature in I wonder? :? :roll:
I'm confused dot com :!:

If you have the latest version of this mod, its not possible to insert that info on the registration page. The bot that does that should have their session killed. But I am starting to wonder if there is a hidden security vulnerability that is allowing some of these guys in some other way.
Kipperman

Post by Kipperman »

thanks for the reply.
I have downloaded version 1.1.11a.zip I don't know if that is the latest or not?
I took it from the first post

It would be great if we could have a mod that frys the terminal that trys to place the spam but I guess that is asking to much! :)
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Kipperman wrote: thanks for the reply.
I have downloaded version 1.1.11a.zip I don't know if that is the latest or not?
I took it from the first post

It would be great if we could have a mod that frys the terminal that trys to place the spam but I guess that is asking to much! :)

Yes that is the latest version.

That would be great, but anything that would do that wouldn't get very much approval. ;)
JohnB352

Didn't work

Post by JohnB352 »

I installed the MOD but I still see the website field when trying to register as a guest. How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Re: Didn't work

Post by EXreaction »

JohnB352 wrote: I installed the MOD but I still see the website field when trying to register as a guest. How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Check over the changes you made in templates/(template name)/profile_add_body.tpl, specifically the website section. You must have missed putting the parts around that.
JohnB352

Re: Didn't work

Post by JohnB352 »

EXreaction wrote:
JohnB352 wrote:I installed the MOD but I still see the website field when trying to register as a guest. How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks

Check over the changes you made in templates/(template name)/profile_add_body.tpl, specifically the website section. You must have missed putting the parts around that.

This is how it looks:

<!-- BEGIN switch_user_logged_in -->
<tr>
<td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_WEBSITE}:</span></td>
<td class="row2">
<input type="text" class="post"style="width: 200px" name="website" size="25" maxlength="255" value="{WEBSITE}" />
</td>
</tr>
<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Very strange, what is the link to your forums(so I can check the entire file myself)?
JohnB352

Post by JohnB352 »

EXreaction wrote: Very strange, what is the link to your forums(so I can check the entire file myself)?

http://www.omba.org/forum/index.php

Thanks
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

I looked over both the subSilver, and the genElectro templates, and none of those switches were in there. Redo the profile_add_body.tpl changes for all styles.
JohnB352

Post by JohnB352 »

EXreaction wrote: I looked over both the subSilver, and the genElectro templates, and none of those switches were in there. Redo the profile_add_body.tpl changes for all styles.

I must be missing something here... this is what I changed the subSilver file to:

<tr>
<td class="row1"><span class="gen">{L_WEBSITE}:</span></td>
<td class="row2">
<input type="text" class="post"style="width: 200px" name="website" size="25" maxlength="255" value="{WEBSITE}" />
</td>
</tr>
<!-- END switch_user_logged_in -->

What should it be?
EXreaction
Former Team Member

Post by EXreaction »

Yes, that is what it should be.

Do the same changes you did on the subSilver template to the genElectro template you have. :)
JohnB352

Post by JohnB352 »

EXreaction wrote: Yes, that is what it should be.

Do the same changes you did on the subSilver template to the genElectro template you have. :)

I'm totally not getting this.
I changed the subSilver and genElectro template to include the changes.
I got rid of the other templates.
And when I check the registration page (as a guest), the website field is still there.

One thing I do not understand... to me it looks like the suggested changes to profile_add_body.tpl are only "comments". In other words... isn't this just a "comment":

thanks in advance... for your help.

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Database Releases”