What MODS should start with

The 2.0.x discussion forum has been locked; this will remain read-only. The 3.0.x discussion forum has been renamed phpBB Discussion.
Ronjr

What MODS should start with

Post by Ronjr » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:51 pm

I've got my forum installed and I was wanting to know if there were any MODS out there that I should start off with. This will be my first forum so I'm open to any suggestions.

alvo

Post by alvo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:57 pm

You should install Auto Cookies which will resolve many problems uses will encounter trying to log in and stay logged in. When I switched over to phpBB it was a nightmare of log in issues until I added this mod:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... ht=cookies

After that you'll probably want to stop the spam bots from posting and registering on your forum. There is an anti-spam thread that discusses this, the following is what I've done and it's been very effective for me.

First is to get the bots from being able to register in the first place. The captcha that phpBB comes with is pretty ineffective. I had it turned on and spam slowed very, very little. That's because the bots can read the captcha and enter the correct solution, which is as effective a prevention measure as not having the captcha at all. Instead install this mod to present a challenge to people registering that's unique to your site (use you own questions, not the example ones):
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=383305

Then to stop anyone who might manually register in order to have a spam link in their profile, add this mod that requires a minimum number of posts before you can have a signature or web link in your profile (number doesn't have to be very high as spammers won't be posting anyway):
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=259453

Then finally hide the registrations without posts from view in the member list and from the total member count:
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... light=zero

You could do either/or with the last two and still accomplish the goal, but doing both makes everything very clean. If I look at my database and view registrations without any posts, there are none there that are obvious spam registrations. Like the posting, it seems that it's pretty much all bots doing the work and not real people. However if a real person is sent out to make a registration, it will still do them no good and as there will be few, if any, in the database it will make no difference if they're in there or not. One could periodically delete users without posts, whether or not they were intending to be spammers, as after a while people that never post probably won't ever be posting.

After these anything else will depend on what you may or may not need.

romans1423
Name: Rick Beckman

Post by romans1423 » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 pm

You should use MODs which provide functionality that you wish to have. If you don't need one, don't use it. Everyone's needs are different, after all. :)

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:24 pm

You start with none.

There are no 'must have' MODs.

When you come across something you need which phpBB doesn't have, then you install a MOD for it.

Concentrate on getting members and content first.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:55 pm

Kevin Clark wrote: You start with none.

There are no 'must have' MODs.

When you come across something you need which phpBB doesn't have, then you install a MOD for it.

Concentrate on getting members and content first.

This is the absolute correct answer, and could not be put any better.

alvo

Post by alvo » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:54 am

I disagree. In theory you should need any mods, but the Auto Cookies mod is essential if you don't want to struggle with people not being able to log in and stay logged in. I spent several weeks dealing with continual log in problems before I found that mod and it fixed virtually every log in problem people were having. If the code in the basic script worked right, the mod wouldn't be necessary, but it doesn't. Same thing with the anti-spam stuff. Sure you can run the script without the mods and spend a lot of time seeking out the spam and deleting it or you can add functionality that is missing from the script and eliminate most of it to begin with.

romans1423

Post by romans1423 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:53 am

Auto-Cookies is only needed if the correct values aren't inserted in the Configuration menu. I've had working values inserted there since my board opened, and I've never heard a log-in problem complaint. The base script works just fine.

A case could be made for spam protection, but I still think an implementation of Bad Behavior 2 would help a lot, and would only require a one-line change to phpBB files.

Ronjr

Post by Ronjr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:55 am

I know I'm new to this but it would seem like common sense to get the problems fixed, like the spammers and others before it happens. I'm not tryin to insult anybody, but that was one of the reasons for posting this question. I just want to go ahead and nip it in the butt :wink:

Another question I have is this, will these mods come with instructions on how to install them and is it simple to do?

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:59 am

romans1423 wrote: …I still think an implementation of Bad Behavior 2 would help a lot, and would only require a one-line change to phpBB files.

That's the second time I've read you saying that. Perhaps you've been kind enough to write that up as a MOD and are just keeping everybody in suspense :) ?

romans1423

Post by romans1423 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:01 am

Other than adding a call to the "generic" file included in Bad Behavior, no I have not. Bad Behavior is capable of database logging and more, as with its current Wordpress implementation, but I have little experience with working with phpBB's database system, let alone integrating it into a "foreign" script that has its own nuanced system in place.

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:06 am

I'm familiar with Bad Behavior in WordPress and think that phpBB's database would need only the additional logging table.

I guess this fall, when tinker time is not so hard to come by, I'm going to have to look at this. It's just not right that I keep hoping somebody else will do it. :D

romans1423

Post by romans1423 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:18 am

Sam,
I did some searching, and I did find an integration of Bad Behavior 1 with phpBB here. May help get you started with version 2, if you pursue this.

Ronjr

Post by Ronjr » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:19 am

Another question I have is, will these mods still be in place if change servers. I'm guessing the server name will change once I create the database on the new server.

KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:48 am

I have no antispam MODs installed and hardly get any spammers. You can do a lot of things with the features phpBB already has. Visual confirmation, registered user posting only, user/admin approval so email addresses have to be valid which leads to email suffix banning and IP banning. That accounts for a good majority of spam signups. With those in place I get about 1 spam signup a week. I can live with that.
Ronjr wrote: Another question I have is this, will these mods come with instructions on how to install them and is it simple to do?

Yes MODs come with instructions.
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=150

You can also use easyMOD (see the MOD release forum).
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:01 pm

romans1423 wrote: Sam,
I did some searching, and I did find an integration of Bad Behavior 1 with phpBB here. May help get you started with version 2, if you pursue this.

Thanks!

Return to “2.0.x Discussion”