MODding's Most Wanted - Round 2

This forum is now closed as part of retiring phpBB2.
Forum rules
READ: phpBB.com Board-Wide Rules and Regulations

This forum is now closed due to phpBB2.0 being retired.
mama_soap

Post by mama_soap »

Excellent - and yes, I see that the sooner the better (awaited mods with bated breath myself on more than one occasion - I would know :P)...

Thank you for the prompt response :)
webmacster87
Former Team Member
Name: Douglas Bell

Post by webmacster87 »

@mama_soap: If you're interested, you can start up a topic in MODs in Development before you have code. Just mark it as [DEV] and outline your ideas a bit. Once you have one open, you can be added to the list.

It will be nice to have someone doing syndication finally. :)
chasetec

Post by chasetec »

Chrisjustinparr wrote: Comeon! Someone pick up the syndication mod! I want to be able to feed my news items onto a webpage, just like Invision can

I'm doing this on my board already. I just use a slightly custom version of the smartfeed rss/atom mod. http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... 50#2285584
smartfeed mod author wrote: I'll consider including your code in a future version. I'd like to hear if more people would consider it useful. A good mod should be broadly useful, not narrowly tailored.

Then on any page I want I just use a RSS reader. I like magpie since it's lightweight, php, and does caching. Look at my News page http://www.osdev.org (could be prettier) and here's the page to generate different syndication feeds http://www.osdev.org/phpBB2/smartfeed_url.php

Or am I missing what a syndication mod should be?
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 »

By syndication, we are kind of looking for something along the lines of the old Topics Anywhere which was removed from the MOD Database for security reasons.
chasetec

Post by chasetec »

Fountain of Apples wrote: By syndication, we are kind of looking for something along the lines of the old Topics Anywhere which was removed from the MOD Database for security reasons.
Not farmilar with the Topics Anywhere mod but from the sound of it and the mentions of phpbbfetchall it sounds like your looking for a php-based simplified phpBB API. Doesn't really sound like you want any cross-site syndication here. Unless I'm wrong here(please correct me) I think the request needs to be renamed because it's horribly confusing.
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

Considering the first line uses the word API I'd say I meant API ;)

Said API could then be used to form the basis of cross site syndication or be used inhouse.
Systems Engineering
chasetec

Post by chasetec »

smithy_dll wrote: Considering the first line uses the word API I'd say I meant API ;)

Said API could then be used to form the basis of cross site syndication or be used inhouse.

Well I wasn't disagreeing with the use of API, just syndication. To myself and I'm sure a lot of other people when I hear the word syndication I immediately think RSS. If by cross site you're including other servers you're talking about either using RSS, having a propietry export format sent across the net, or allowing direct DB access. All of which have big security concerns, the latter two probably more so.

Regardless of the syndication abilties you'll still need a simplified phpBB library which could be used in-site. I'd suggest breaking this request up into 2 mods. A phpBBlib mod which could be used in a fashion similar to phpbbfetchall and then a syndicator mod that would have a dependence on the phpBBlib.

Disclaimer: I'm surrounded by 7 empy cans of soda after staying up all night on a coding binge so I could be talking crazy :)
smithy_dll
Former Team Member
Name: Lachlan Smith

Post by smithy_dll »

It states we are just looking for the API, and then goes on to mention that the API should be complete enough to do xyz.

Part of xyz would obviously be the ability to formulate custom RSS/Atom/whatever feeds by using the API and a small bit of PHP.

Syndication isn't in the Cambridge English Dictionary or the Bloomsbury World English Dictionary ;)

In terms of security, it should be known that Cross Site Scripting is a big no on any MODs submitted to the MODDB as is Cross Site DBMS access.
Systems Engineering
Lord Le Brand

Post by Lord Le Brand »

Sorry for being a noob, but what exactly should the syndication API be like? A script on the same domain, like on main site, or on an external site?

EDIT: doh! man i'm a noob
smithy_dll wrote: In terms of security, it should be known that Cross Site Scripting is a big no on any MODs submitted to the MODDB as is Cross Site DBMS access.
Lord Le Brand

Post by Lord Le Brand »

I'm planning on taking on the Syndication MOD, but I don't really get what it's supposed to do/look like.
I've asked around, but that didn't clarify very much, it even confused me more :?
Can somebody give a brief idea of how the MOD should interact with the site, how (and what) it should be configured, etcetera?
webmacster87
Former Team Member

Post by webmacster87 »

I'm not entirely familiar with what is expected because smithy_dll is the one who wrote the description for the Syndication project. I do believe that it's intended to be similar to the old Topics Anywhere MOD (which I don't think is in the MOD DB anymore).
drathbun
Former Team Member

Post by drathbun »

I suggest that you start a "DEV" topic and see what folks suggest. :-)
I blog about phpBB: phpBBDoctor blog
Still using phpbb2? So am I! Click below for details
Lord Le Brand

Post by Lord Le Brand »

Ok, thanks for your replies.
I figured this shouldn't be too hard.
Fountain of Apples wrote: I do believe that it's intended to be similar to the old Topics Anywhere MOD

Ok, that cleared my confusion about the API :D
drathbun wrote: I suggest that you start a "DEV" topic and see what folks suggest. :)

I wanted to make sure I was up for it before starting :)

... Err, what would be a good name for the MOD?
[edit] NVM the name, got it here: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=456134
appaloosa

Photo Gallery

Post by appaloosa »

I really would want a photo gallery that can be integrated with phpBB. Something that features thumbnails, voting/rating, etc.

Can anyone recommend anything? Is there such a thing available for phpBB users?

Thanks for any tips, advice, etc.

~app
wGEric
Former Team Member
Name: Eric Faerber

Post by wGEric »

Use the MODs Request forum please.
Eric

Return to “[2.0.x] MOD Writers Discussion”